Fonds MSS 11 (A1996-104) - Winnipeg Music Festival (Men's Music Club) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Winnipeg Music Festival (Men's Music Club) fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UMASC MSS 11 (A1996-104)

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1915-1989 (Creation)
    Creator
    Winnipeg Music Competition Festival

Physical description area

Physical description

0.92 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1915-1988)

Administrative history

The Winnipeg Music Competition Festival was known as the Men's Music Club until 1988. The Club was founded by a group of 40 businessmen in December 1915 for the purpose of promoting the art of music. Recitals were held initially every Saturday evening at the Royal Alexander Hotel. Within the first couple of years membership figures averaged around 120, of which approximately thirty per cent were professional musicians. In 1916 the Club organized a Male Voice Quartet which eventually became the famous Winnipeg Male Voice Choir under the leadership of Hugh Ross. In 1919 the Manitoba Musical Competition Festival was organized followed by the Boys Choir under the conductorship of Miss Ethel Kinley in 1925. The Philharmonic Choir was formed independently in 1922 under the leadership of the Club conductor, Hugh Ross. The Philharmonic Choir was taken over by the Club as one of its sections. In 1946 the Civic Music League was formed by the Club and, through it, the formation of the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra. In 1987 the Men's Music Club became known as the Winnipeg Music Competition Festival, Inc. following increased involvement from the Women's Committee. The group disbanded the following year.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The collection contains membership records, constitution and by-laws, correspondence, minutes of meetings, programs, publicity brochures, and a history.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Finding aid encoded by Brett Lougheed (March 2002)
Entered into AtoM in 2017.

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres