Title and statement of responsibility area
University Faculty Women's Association fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- University Faculty Women's Association
Physical description area
0.1 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
As early as 1913, when James A. MacLean became the first President of the University of Manitoba, wives of faculty and staff were meeting socially in each other's homes "to foster a spirit of friendship among the women connected with the university." During World War One, they formed themselves into a Red Cross unit. After the war, a more formal organization was established known variously as The Faculty Wives' Club or The Faculty Women's Club, which met monthly in the original Law Courts Building on Kennedy Street on the old Broadway campus in downtown Winnipeg. As the faculty grew in numbers and various colleges and faculties merged together to form the modern university, the club experienced corresponding change and growth resulting in the creation of the Faculty Women's Association in 1924. A formal constitution was not presented until 1942. A separate organization from the University Women's Club, the Faculty Women's Association sponsored various social, educational, and philanthropic activities and has, in more recent years, sponsored a wide variety of special interest groups for those women (and spouses) interested in gourmet cooking, travel, literature, or other activities. Presently, the entire membership meets together twice a year.
The fonds was donated to University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections prior to 1992.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of three minute books of various meetings and functions of the Association from 1940 to 1966, correspondence, copies of the association's by-laws and constitution, various committee reports, records of annual meetings and reports, membership lists, a short typewritten history, newspaper articles, and invitations to various social functions.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on this material.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid is currently unavailable.
Fonds consists of one accrual: A1992-077