Title and statement of responsibility area
Samuel Hooper fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0.01 m of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Samuel Hooper was born in 1851 in Devon, England and immigrated to Canada in 1869 where he trained in stone carving and monument work. In 1881, Hooper migrated to Winnipeg and was employed as a monument designer and builder. His works include the Red River Rebellion monument and the Seven Oaks Rebellion monument. Hooper subsequently moved back to England to study architecture and returned to Winnipeg around 1897. He was the architect of the Exchange Building, the Agricultural College, and the Normal School. Hooper was appointed Provincial Architect in 1904. Hooper died in 1911 in London, England but was buried in Winnipeg.
The fonds was donated by University of Manitoba Interior Design professor George Fuller to University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections in 1979. It is unclear how Dr. Fuller acquired the fonds. The fonds was originally classified as UA SC 35 but was reclassified as MSS SC 181 in 2005 to more accurately reflect its provenance.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of two documents. The first is a preliminary specification of the material and labour to be used in the erection of an Engineering & Mechanical Building for the Agricultural College of the University of Manitoba, dated May 1908. The second document is a memo detailing the changes proposed to the first document, dated June 1908.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on this material.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid is currently unavailable.