Fonds MSS 126 (A1993-033) - Public Markets Ltd. fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Public Markets Ltd. fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

MSS 126 (A1993-033)

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1911-1980 (Creation)
    Creator
    Public Markets Ltd.

Physical description area

Physical description

7.2 m of textual records, 43 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1911-1990)

Administrative history

In 1911 an act was passed by the Manitoba Government incorporating the Public Markets Ltd. The plan was to furnish Manitoba livestock producers with a market-place, in an area where there was a need for selling and handling facilities to accommodate a growing industry. The two National railways financed and developed a 137-acre site purchased by the City of Winnipeg that was referred to in the land title records as the ‘Roman Catholic Mission Property’. On August 14, 1913 the Marion Street facility with its stock yards and packing house facility was officially opened by Premier Sir Rodmond Roblin. For the next seventy-five years, the Union Stock Yards, not only provided the City of St. Boniface with its largest single source employers but became a vital cog in Manitoba's agricultural economy.

The livestock business in Manitoba owes its origins to the great cattle drives in the Southwestern United States. The Dodge City/Western Trail led up into Alberta where it hooked up with the newly completed Canadian National Railway. Cattle were loaded on to freight cars and shipped to the markets in Eastern Canada. Along the way the trains stopped off in Winnipeg to water and feed the cattle, giving rise to Manitoba's livestock industry. Winnipeg's first stock yard was located in the Weston area but space constraints and easier access to the rail lines necessitated the move to St. Boniface. The Union Stock Yards were the largest of their kind in Canada. The yard had its own private well essential in providing the endless stream of water required.

In 1925 Canada Packers opened a meat processing plant next to the yard, thirteen years later they were joined by Swifts. World War II brought unprecedented growth to the packing industry as Canada supplied meat for the troops overseas. The yards represented a large cross-section of livestock interests. Within its structure were numerous salesmen, buyers, producers and employees of the trade and yard company. The Canada Department of Agriculture also provided two essential services. Veterinarians performed health inspections and a daily market report was prepared to inform the industry on livestock values and prices. Truck and brand inspections were carried out by representatives of the provincial governments. The market had its own Livestock Exchange to supervise trading, its membership included buyers for all kinds of stock as well as bonded commission firms and dealers.

The livestock received and sold at Union Stock Yards came from all three Prairie Provinces, destined for either the local market, Eastern Canada or under favourable exchange and trading conditions the United States. The principal requirement locally was to provide slaughter cattle for the processing plants. However under good weather and feed conditions there was a significant turnover of cattle back into the Manitoba feed lots for finishing. The Eastern Canada market was constant year round with upwards of 300,000 cattle and calves shipped annually. The yard was also the largest exporter of feeder cattle in Canada with steady sales to Iowa, Minnesota and Nebraska.

Failure to keep up with technological advancements and the advent of refrigerated trucks conspired to end Union Stock Yards dominance of the industry. Trucks took over as the principal means of beef shipping with the completion of the Trans Canada Highway in 1955. The meat packing industry began to move closer to the source of its product as plants in Alberta supplanted Winnipeg processors. Manitoba hog processing still remains a viable industry but the Union Stock Yards, Canada Packers and Swifts beef processing plants had outlived their usefulness by 1990.

Custodial history

The Archives & Special Collections of the University of Manitoba acquired the Public Markets Ltd. (Union Stock Yards) in the summer of 1992. The records comprised 23 cubic feet and were given the accession no. A.92-40. The collection was appraised by the National Archival Appraisal Board in January 1993 and declared Cultural Property. In the spring of 1993, Peter Gregory, the President of the Livestock Exchange, presented the department with a booklet, Rules, Regulations & By-laws of the Winnipeg Livestock Exchange . The booklet, A.93-33 was added to the Public Markets Ltd. collection.

Scope and content

The Public Markets Ltd. collection spans the existence of the company from 1912-1989. The collection now comprises 21 linear feet. This fonds is unique of its type in Western Canada and offers a unique reference source to the agricultural history of the prairie west. The records contain detailed information on livestock transportation & sales, collective bargaining agreements, labour grievances & arbitrations as well as environmental concerns in dealing with waste disposal.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

These records are organized into 5 series.

CORPORATE RECORDS, 1912-1988
FINANCIAL RECORDS, 1912-1989
LEGAL RECORDS, 1912-1989
OPERATIONS RECORDS, 1913-1989
Photograph Collection (PC 135), 1964, [ca. 1970]

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

A finding aid can be downloaded from the fonds-level description by clicking on the “Download’ link under “Finding Aid” on the right hand side of the screen.

Generated finding aid

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

PC

135

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Finding aid created by Lewis St. George Stubbs (April 1998). Encoded by Julianna Trivers (October 2002). Revision History: July 26, 2005 - MSS 126, PC 135 converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres