Fonds MSS 127 (A1994-055) - North-West Line Elevators Association fonds

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

North-West Line Elevators Association fonds

Dénomination générale des documents

  • Multimédia

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

Niveau de description

Fonds

Cote

MSS 127 (A1994-055)

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production

Date(s)

  • 1899-1985 (Production)
    Producteur
    North-West Line Elevators

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

6.12 m of textual records, 17 maps, 111 photographs, 13 slides, 1 video reel.

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur

(1899-)

Histoire administrative

This association was first organized by the Manitoba Elevator Operators on July 18, 1899, under the name the North-West Elevator Association. The first Directorship consisted of William Martin, President & Robert Muir, Vice-President. The other directors included R.D. Martin, E. O'Riley, John Love, R.C. Ennis, S.A. McGaw, J.E. Mann & T.B. Barker. The Membership included 24 companies or individuals representing 272 country elevators.

In 1904 the Association was incorporated by a special act of the Manitoba Legislature under the name of the North-West Grain Dealers Association. The membership had increased threefold to include 95 companies or individuals representing 780 elevators. John Love was the first president of newly incorporated Association.

The first ten years were marked by rapid expansion. By 1910 the Membership had risen to 164 companies or individuals with the number of elevators practically doubling to 1500. Five years later 30 more companies had come on board with the number of elevators growing to 2900. Through amalgamation of some of the smaller companies the roster declined to 101 companies in 1925 but the number of elevators increased to 3741.

In 1926 the hierarchy within the Association changed with the formation of the Owners' Committee. Henceforth Directors were appointed from the junior executive ranks or general superintendents of companies but the real power lay with the Owners' Committee. This committee lasted for ten years at which time a Public Relations Department was formed in March 1935. This group chose L.W. Brockington as its first leader with G.W.P. Heffelfinger as the first chairman.

Like all industry, the grain business was forced to navigate ten lean years during the Depression. The Membership declined to 55 companies by 1935 but still managed to represent 3345 elevators. In 1937 the Manitoba Legislature amended the Association's capital stock set up. The old Membership shares were paid out in full at $15 apiece plus a premium of $5 per share. The new capital arrangement called for 20000 authorized shares and 3393 subscribed shares selling at $1 each. A company was called upon to take $1 shares for every elevator it owned.

With the financial restructuring of the Association, came board room policy changes. After 1937 all Directors were now chosen from the principals of the companies. In 1940 the company changed its name to the North West Line Elevators Association. The Association lobbied for preferable rail rates for shipping. They attempted to block line abandonments by the C.P.R. & C.N.R. The Farm Service side of the Association performed grain research through its demonstration plots and seed testing laboratory. At its peak the Association cover elevators spanning the Prairie Provinces & Thunder Bay and represented the interests of most of the leading grain companies in Western Canada. The company still had an administrative board in 1992 but two years later it had come under control of N.M. Paterson & Sons Ltd. and is now dormant.

Historique de la conservation

In July 1992 the Collection was offered to the Provincial Archives of Manitoba. Barry Hyman, the Associate Provincial Archivist, suggested that the holdings be moved to the University of Manitoba become a part of the Archives of the Agricultural Experience. In August 1994 the Collection was transferred to the Department of Archives & Special Collections at the behest of Andrew B. Paterson, Chief Executive Officer, of N.M. Paterson & Sons Ltd., whose company had recently acquired the North-West Line Elevators Association.

Portée et contenu

The North-West Line Elevators Association origins can be traced back to 1899. The fonds contain the minutes of the original Board of Directors as well as detailed sampling, although not complete, of Directors' minutes & memoranda up until the early 1970s. The Collection is divided into four categories. The corporate records contain Directors' minutes, Executive Committee minutes, annual reports & the Public Relations Department records. The financial records contain auditors' reports, balance sheets, stock ledgers, tax returns, budgets, shareholders' information & Grains Claim Bureau assessments. The legal records cover demurrage action, court cases, agreements & contracts as well as Royal Commission on Box Car Distribution reports from the mid 1950s & Royal Commission on Transportation reports from the early 1960s. The operational records contain company correspondence, tariff information, Canada Grains Council reports & Canada Wheat Board reports, articles & pamphlets as well as lists of grain elevators. The fonds provide a nice cross section of the Association from its inception until the mid 1970s.

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

Classement

These records are organized into 6 series.
Corporate Records 1899-1972
Financial Records 1900-1985
Legal Records 1929-1969
Operational Records 1913-1977
Map Collection (MC 17) 1963-1975
Photograph Collection (PC 136) [ca. 1925]-[1969?]

Langue des documents

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

Box 47, Folder 7 is restricted. Please contact the archives for further information.
There are no other restrictions on access.

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Instruments de recherche

A finding aid can be downloaded from the fonds-level description by clicking on the “Download’ link under “Finding Aid” on the right hand side of the screen.

Générer l'instrument de recherche

Éléments associés

Éléments associés

Accroissements

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

PC

136

MC

17

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de la description du document

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles ou conventions

Statut

Niveau de détail

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

Finding aid created by Lewis St. George Stubbs (1998). Encoded by Julianna Trivers (October 2002). Revision History: July 26, 2005 - MSS 127 converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
Revised by N. Courrier (September 2019).

Langue de la description

Langage d'écriture de la description

Sources

Zone des entrées

Sujets associés

Personnes et organismes associés

Lieux associés

Genres associés