Title and statement of responsibility area
National Conference of Canadian Universities fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UMASC MSS SC 81
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- National Conference of Canadian Universities
Physical description area
0.01 m of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The National Conference of Canadian Universities (N.C.C.U.) was founded in 1911 with thirteen member universities. Its purpose was to provide a forum in which the universities' administrators could discuss common problems. It met twenty times in the years 1911 to 1944. During the Second World War, the organization established a central office and staff. The Royal Commission on National Development in the Arts, Letters and Sciences, 1949-1951 (The Massey Commission), recommended the payment of federal subsidies to the universities. Since Article 93 of the British North American Act reserved education for the provinces' jurisdiction, these subsidies were administered by the N.C.C.U., which thereby gained prestige and enlarged its permanent staff. To this end of administering federal subsidies, the conference was legally incorporated on January 18, 1957, as the National Conference of Canadian Universities and Colleges (N.C.C.U.C.) to include colleges as well. With an increase of member colleges, as well as various subsidiary bodies, the N.C.C.U.C. became so complex in structure that it deemed desirable to institute a distinct corporation that would manage the subsidies. Thus, the Canadian Universities Foundation (C.U.F.) was incorporated on February 4, 1959, as the executive agency of the N.C.C.U.C. The C.U.F. remained closely associated with the N.C.C.U.C., having the same membership and its president being elected by the N.C.C.U.C. Consequently, on April 3, 1965, federal legislation joined the two organizations as the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (A.U.C.C.). As of 2002, A.U.C.C. represented 93 Canadian public and private not-for-profit universities and colleges. It provides a forum for discussion and a framework for action at the federal level, facilitating the development of public policy on higher education. Membership ranges from small, undergraduate liberals arts institutions to large, multi-campus universities offering a broad selection of undergraduate, graduate and professional programs. Each member institution is represented by its executive head. A.U.C.C. business is conducted by a 13-member board of directors.
The organization is, as of 2016, known as Universities Canada.
The fonds was previously classified as UMASC UA SC 21 but was reclassified as MSS SC 81 in 2005 to more accurately reflect its provenance.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of two copies of a draft constitution of the National Conference of Canadian Universities.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on this material.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
No finding aid is currently available.