Title and statement of responsibility area
University Libraries fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Sound recording
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UMASC UA 9, UA Sc 50, PC 5, PC 47, TC 32, MC 5 (A.80-36, A.80-56, A.81-18, A.82-23, A.82-34, A.82-43, A.83-43, A.83-45, A.84-35, A.84-41, A.86-10, A.86-51, A.87-19, A.90-08, A.90-17, A.90-51, A.90-55, A.90-69, A.91-44, A.91-47, A.02-11)
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1897, 1905-1987 (Creation)
- University of Manitoba Libraries
Physical description area
15 m of textual records and other material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The first library established at the University of Manitoba was in the Department of Science in 1904. In 1907, the University Council set aside a yearly sum for the purchase of books and bound journals and Mrs. W.H. Thompson was appointed first University Librarian. In 1935, a Carnegie Corporation grant allowed for the establishment of a junior library in the University administration building. However, the library collection still remained scattered among several buildings on both the Fort Garry and Broadway campuses. In 1953, to commemorate the University's 75th anniversary, construction began on a new central library eventually called the Elizabeth Dafoe Library in honour of Miss Dafoe's 23 years of service as Head Librarian. Additions were made to the Dafoe Library in 1960, 1963, and again in 1981 to accommodate the growing number of acquisitions and students.
Presently, in addition to the Elizabeth Dafoe Library, the University of Manitoba Libraries system includes the following units: Agriculture, Architecture and Fine Arts, Dental (Nielson), Education (D.S. Woods), Engineering (Donald W. Craik), Law (E.K. Williams), Management (Albert D. Cohen), Medical, Music (Ekhardt Gramatte), St. John's, St. Paul's and Science.
The fonds was donated to University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections in numerous accessions. UA SC 50 was previously classified as MSS SC 49 but was changed to more accurately reflect its provenance. MC 5 was transferred to the University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections by the Maps and Atlases Department, Dafoe Library, University of Manitoba, February 23rd, 2002. Librarian Hugh Larimer was in charge of the transfer of the maps to the archives.
Scope and content
The University Libraries fonds (UA 9) contains correspondence, reports, surveys, statistics and minutes, with files pertaining to Library Committees, acquisitions, library budgets, staff, publications, circulation of library material, library holdings and collections, and grants and awards. The collection documents the work of the Libraries Administration and the unit libraries within the Libraries' system. UA SC 50 and TC 32 consists of enrollment forms, correspondence, budget information, minutes, and six audio cassettes recording the "Continuing Education: Library and Information Needs" conference. The conference was sponsored by the University of Manitoba Libraries, Public Library Services, the Manitoba Library Association, and the Continuing Education Division of the University of Manitoba. The photograph collection (PC 47) consists of 7 photographs depicting the opening of the Carolyn Sifton Wing of the Elizabeth Dafoe Library. MC 5 consists of three maps. PC 5 consists of photographs depicting the opening of the Carolyn Sifton Wing as well as library employees. Two of the maps are identical and entitled Transportation Map (of) Greater Winnipeg, showing street Car Trolley Bus and Bus Lines. These maps, published by the Winnipeg Electric Company, depict the various public transportation routes available in 1941 Winnipeg. The third map is a map of Manitoba, published in 1897 with the authority of the provincial government of Manitoba by the Bulman Brothers and Co. Map Engravers of Winnipeg.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on this material.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
A partial finding aid can be generated from this description.
Manitoba Historical Maps' have been digitized and are available on Flickr at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/manitobamaps/sets/72157622868092934/
Further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Entered into AtoM on January 24, 2017 by Natalie Vielfaure