Title and statement of responsibility area
Henry Gerald Wade fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UMASC MSS 38
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Wade, Henry Gerald
Physical description area
0.4 m of textual records; 58 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Henry Gerald Wade was born in 1875 in Port Hope, Ontario. He grew up on a farm and attended school at Bishop Ridley College. In 1910, he moved to Winnipeg where his uncle, Harry Willson, had established the Willson Stationery Company. He remained with Willson's until his retirement in 1947. Wade became an officer of the newly re-organized Winnipeg chapter of the Charles Dickens Fellowship and began collecting books and lecturing. He was one of the more ardent Dickensians to become a charter member of the Pickwick Club. Eventually, Wade's literary interests expanded to encompass Canadian writers, several of whom became personal friends. His library included a notable collection of autographed editions and letters from such prominent writers in the 1920s and 1930s as Bliss Carmen, William Arthur Deacon, Frederick Philip Grove, Hopkins Moorhouse, Charles G.D. Roberts, and Robert Stead.
The fonds and accompanying library were originally donated to St. John's College by H. Gerald Wade's daughter, Mrs. Gerald W. Malaher, in 1972. These materials were later transferred to University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections. In 1979, Mrs. Malaher donated Wade's Dickens collection to the Archives. In 1986, Mrs. Malaher's daughter-in-law, Rosemary Malaher, donated the remaining volumes of Wade's library to the Archives.
Scope and content
The fonds consists mainly of books with attached photographs and correspondence. All loose inserts were removed. The material that could not safely be removed remains in the volumes in the Rare Book Collection and is noted briefly in the listing appended to the register. The donated library comprises some 425 titles. The majority are Canadian works, some historical or descriptive, with emphasis on the Maritimes. The remainder are largely works of or about Charles Dickens. The material taken from these volumes consists of letters and notes, press clippings, programs, and other memorabilia.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on this material.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Printed finding aids are available in the Archives reading room.
Generated finding aid
Fonds consists of one accrual: A1986-021
No further accruals are expected.