Title and statement of responsibility area
Glenlea Research Station
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences
- Glenlea Research Station
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In June 1966, Premier Duff Roblin on behalf of the Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics officially opened the Centre for Applied Research at Glenlea. The Centre began to be commonly referred to as the Glenlea Research Station the same year. The area consists of nine river lots which, when purchased in 1962, had comprised three separate farms. The Station is located on Highway 75, approximately 20 km south of the University of Manitoba Fort Garry campus. There are approximately 500 hectares of land partitioned into three main areas by Highway 75 and the railway line. West of Highway 75 is an area of approximately 400 hectares which is divided into 14 fields. The Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences operate the Station with financial support from Manitoba Agriculture and the University of Manitoba.
The Station originally housed the Dairy Science Centre, a beef Nutrition Unit, a Swine Research Centre, and a research program involving field-scale crop rotation. Today there are facilities for other departments at the University of Manitoba including the Avian Behaviour Laboratory for ducks and geese, under the direction of the Department of Psychology, an observatory operated by the Department of Mathematics and Astronomy and a geomagnetic observatory supervised by the Department of Geology. In addition, the Station had been an official meteorological recording site, providing weather information to Environment Canada. Finally, the Manitoba Wildlife Rehabilitation Organization had operated the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center on site.
Name of creator
Administrative History of the Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences Manitoba Agricultural College was formerly opened in 1906. In the following year Manitoba Agricultural College became affiliated with the University of Manitoba so that the degree in agriculture could be conferred on students who had successfully completed the five-year course. However, the affiliation of Manitoba Agricultural College with the University was terminated by an Act of the Provincial Legislature in 1912 when the College was granted degree conferring powers. However, in 1916 the Act was amended and the affiliation between the College and University restored again. The University of Manitoba conferred the degree of Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (B.S.A.) for the first time in May 1911. Regular instruction in Home Economics began the same year and the degree of Bachelor of Home Economics (B.H.E.) was first conferred in May 1918. On March 1, 1924, by Act of the Manitoba Legislature, the administration of Manitoba Agricultural College was transferred to the Board of Governors of the University and it was arranged that in future the instructional work of the College could be carried on as a Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics of the University. The length of the degree courses in both Agriculture and Home Economics was reduced to four sessions in 1927-1928 to conform with the other university faculties. In 1929, the Legislature selected the site in Fort Garry, already occupied by the Manitoba Agricultural College since 1913, as the permanent site of the University.A systematic program of work in the field of rural adult education began in 1940. In 1946 the Department of Agricultural Engineering was added to the faculty. In 1966 the Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics opened the Centre for Applied Research at Glenlea, twenty kilometres south of Winnipeg.In 1970 the Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics separated into two independent faculties, Agriculture and Home Economics. Beginning in 1971 the Faculty of Agriculture, through sponsorship from the Provincial Government, became involved with various foreign aid programs. This culminated in 1979 when the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) financed a joint agricultural program with the University of Zambia. In July 1991 the Faculty became the Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences.
Scope and content
The series consists of correspondence, budgets, committee files, contracts and agreements related to leases and insurance. Also included are files relating to the Station's buildings, equipment and machinery; the laboratory analysis of the soil testing done at the Station; research; and the weather station.