Fonds Ua 32 (A1990-012, A1993-037) - Faculty of Management fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Faculty of Management fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UMASC Ua 32 (A1990-012, A1993-037)

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1938-1986 (Creation)
    Creator
    Faculty of Management

Physical description area

Physical description

11.4 meters of textual records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1950-)

Administrative history

The first class in business was taught at the University of Manitoba in 1916. However, it was another twenty years until a Bachelor degree was considered when, with the support from the business community and President Sydney E. Smith, the University created the Department of Commerce and the Department of Actuarial Science. In 1948, President Gillson recommended that a School of Commerce be created within the Faculty of Arts and Science and, in 1950, the Department of Commerce was renamed the Department of Business Administration and Finance.

In 1966, the Senate approved the Commerce Council's recommendation to develop a certificate course in Management. The first Master of Business Administration degree was awarded in 1969 and, in 1970, the School of Commerce became a Faculty. The Faculty of Commerce again changed its name in 1972 to the Faculty of Administrative Studies, following their move into the Frank Kennedy Building. In 1988, the Faculty of Administrative Studies became the Faculty of Management upon relocation to the Drake Centre for Management Studies.

Custodial history

The fonds was donated to University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections by the Faculty of Management in 1990 and 1993.

Scope and content

The fonds includes committee minutes and reports, board minutes, course offerings, budgets, and correspondence with the Banff School of Advanced Management and other business and community organizations. The records also include interdepartmental correspondence, Dean's Council and Faculty Council minutes, and correspondence related to academic staff.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Confidential material is restricted.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

A finding aid can be generated from this description.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Entered into AtoM on February 2, 2017 by Natalie Vielfaure

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres