Title and statement of responsibility area
Faculty of Law
General material designation
- Multiple media
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UMASC UA 43
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Faculty of Law
- Winnipeg (Man.)
Physical description area
12 m of textual and other material
16.9 m of textual material
3 compact discs
6 video cassettes
12 contact sheets
91 audio cassettes
30 reel to reel audio tapes
1 33rpm microgroove vinyl record
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The University of Manitoba first became involved in legal education in 1885 when it established a three-year course of studies leading to the LL.B. degree. This course did not include instruction, it simply prescribed a reading program with three annual examinations, which articled law students couId follow concurrently with the course prescribed by the Law Society. In the years 1911-1912, the Law Society was prompted by the Law Students Association to provide a short series of lectures. In 1913, H.A. Robson, then Manitoba's Public Utilities Commissioner and a former judge of the Court of King's Bench, organized a considerably improved course of lectures and began to lay the plans for the establishment in the following year of a permanent law school modeled after the Osgoode Hall Law School of the Law Society of Upper Canada.
The Manitoba Law School was jointly sponsored by The University of Manitoba and the Law Society of Manitoba. Both bodies took part in the planning from the beginning. In the summer of 1914, they entered into an agreement, subsequently endorsed by legislation, which provided for the creation of the School, offering a three-year course consisting of lectures and apprenticeship leading to both an LL.B. degree and a call to the Bar and admission to practice. Expenses of the School were shared equally by the two parent bodies, and its operations were supervised by a jointly appointed Board of Trustees. This arrangement between The University of Manitoba and the Law Society of Manitoba continued until 1966 when the Law School became the Faculty of Law of the University of Manitoba.
The Faculty of Law presently offers programs of study leading to two degrees, the LL.B. and the LL.M. The latter degree program was brought into existence in 1949 by the Manitoba Law School. It was substantially revamped by the Faculty of Law in 1968.
The A96-57, A96-85, and A97-30 accruals were donated by the University of Manitoba Faculty of Law in 1996 and 1997.
The A13-104, A13-105, A13-106, A13-114, A13-115, A13-116, A13-117, A13-118 accruals were donated by the University of Manitoba Faculty of Law in 2013.
Scope and content
The 1996 & 1997 accruals detail the formation of the University of Manitoba's Faculty of Law from its establishment as a course at the University of Manitoba in 1885, to the formation of the degree-granting Manitoba Law School, to the creation of the Faculty of Law. The records date from 1877 to 1998 and include textual records, photographs, sound recordings, video recordings, and cartographic material.
The 2013 accruals include 16.9 m of administrative and historical textual material. The photograph collection includes 8 slides, 236 negatives, 2450 photographs, 12 contact sheets, 3 compact discs, 2 filmstrips and 6 VHS video tapes. The tape collection includes 91 audio cassette tapes, 30 reel to reel audio tapes and 1 33rpm microgroove vinyl record.
Immediate source of acquisition
The A96-57, A96-85, and A97-30 accruals have been divided into thirty-seven series. The series entitled Dean's Papers has been divided by each Dean's administration and has been organized accordingly into sub-series. The 2013 accesions have been organized individually within each accession, and the organizational information can be found within the individual finding aids.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Archive of Western Canadian Legal History original records are located at the Archives of Manitoba.
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Restrictions on access are marked on applicable file folders, boxes and in the finding aid. Please contact Archives staff for further information on how to access these records.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
On-line finding aids are available at the links below: UA 43, PC 139, TC 87, MC 18 (A.96-57, A.96-85, A.97-30) UA 43, PC 139, TC 87, MC 18 (A13-104) UA 43 (A13-115)
further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
UA 43, PC 139, TC 87, MC 18 (A13-104), (A13-105), (A13-106), (A13-114), (A13-115), (A13-116), (A13-117), (A13-118)
University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
AtoM description created on December 18, 2013 by Jeanette Mockford.
AtoM description revised on February 27, 2014 by Jeanette Mockford.
Revised March 2014 by Tyyne Petrowski.
Language of description
Script of description
The Administrative History was developed by Dan Davies and copied in its original form for the AtoM descriptive entry.