Faculty of Law

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Faculty of Law

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

[ca.1860] - 2011

History

The University of Manitoba first became involved in legal education in 1885 when it established a three-year course of studies leading to the LL.B. degree. This course did not include instruction, it simply prescribed a reading program with three annual examinations, which articled law students couId follow concurrently with the course prescribed by the Law Society. In the years 1911-1912, the Law Society was prompted by the Law Students Association to provide a short series of lectures. In 1913, H.A. Robson, then Manitoba's Public Utilities Commissioner and a former judge of the Court of King's Bench, organized a considerably improved course of lectures and began to lay the plans for the establishment in the following year of a permanent law school modeled after the Osgoode Hall Law School of the Law Society of Upper Canada.

The Manitoba Law School was jointly sponsored by The University of Manitoba and the Law Society of Manitoba. Both bodies took part in the planning from the beginning. In the summer of 1914, they entered into an agreement, subsequently endorsed by legislation, which provided for the creation of the School, offering a three-year course consisting of lectures and apprenticeship leading to both an LL.B. degree and a call to the Bar and admission to practice. Expenses of the School were shared equally by the two parent bodies, and its operations were supervised by a jointly appointed Board of Trustees. This arrangement between The University of Manitoba and the Law Society of Manitoba continued until 1966 when the Law School became the Faculty of Law of the University of Manitoba.

The Faculty of Law presently offers programs of study leading to two degrees, the LL.B. and the LL.M. The latter degree program was brought into existence in 1949 by the Manitoba Law School. It was substantially revamped by the Faculty of Law in 1968.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

UA 43, PC 139, TC 87, MC 18 (A13-104, A13-105, A13-106, A13-114, A13-115, A13-116, A13-117, A13-118)

Institution identifier

University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

25 bankers boxes were appraised, transferred, described, and arranged by Jeanette Mockford from September to December 2013.
27 bankers boxes and 2 folders of oversized items were appraised, transferred, described, and arranged by Jeanette Mockford from January to February 2014.

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

The Administrative History was developed by Dan Davies and copied in its original form for the AtoM descriptive entry.

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC