Fonds - Faculty of Arts

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Faculty of Arts

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


Physical description area

Physical description

31.22 m of textual records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

The first instruction in Arts was offered in English, History and Political Economy in 1910. By 1914, bachelor degrees were offered in Arts and in Science, and in 1921 the University established faculties in Arts and Science, Engineering, and Architecture with each faculty governed by a General Faculty Council. In 1929, the Senior Arts Department moved to a new building on the Fort Garry site, then the location of the Faculties of Agriculture and Engineering. The Senior Science Department was moved to Fort Garry two years later upon completion of the Buller Building.

Throughout the 1930s, the Department of Science experienced continuous growth while Arts remained stable. 1938 saw the creation of two new departments, Commerce and Actuarial Science. In the same year, Professor M.A. Parker, first Dean of Arts and Science and the University's first professor, resigned and was replaced by Dr. H.P. Armes. World War II diminished the number of students but 1945 saw a huge increase in enrolment. The departments of Economics and Sociology were created in 1949, and two years later the departments of Icelandic Language and Literature and Geography were formed. In 1956, planning was initiated for a new science complex including buildings for Chemistry, Physics, Pharmacy and Mathematics. The complex was completed in 1959 and included the Allen Physics Building, Parker Chemistry Building and Armes Lecture Hall. In the same year, construction commenced on the Isbister Building for Geography and Commerce.

In an attempt to reflect the "college" heritage of education and residence at the University of Manitoba, construction started on University College in 1962. The Fletcher Argue office tower was completed in 1966, freeing the top two floors of the Tier building for the School of Social Work. The years of 1968 and 1969 saw the creation of five new programs in Linguistics, Canadian Studies, Medieval Studies, Latin American Studies and Soviet Studies.

The year 1970 saw the establishment of Commerce as a separate Faculty. Later that year, the Faculty of Arts and Science, largely on the request of Science, dissolved to become separate faculties. It brought to an end sixty years of affiliation. In 1970, the Faculty of Arts signed an agreement with St. Paul's and St. John's Colleges, to unify their respective faculty members and expand humanities education. In 1974, programs in Native and Women's Studies were established. Art History and Film Studies were added in 1976, and in 1980 the Institute for Social and Economic Research was created through the Federal Department of Health and Welfare. The 1980's saw gradual increases in enrolment but little physical expansion.

Custodial history

The fonds was donated to University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections by the Faculty of Arts in several accessions between 1980 and 1995.

Scope and content

The fonds is divided into 11 series:
1) Dean's Office
2) Department of Economics
3) Department of Anthropology
4) Department of Geography
5) Institute for Social and Economic Research
6) Department of Classics
7) Icelandic Department
8) Arts Faculty Council
9) Faculty Council of Arts and Science and Arts Council Series
10) Senior and Lady Stick
11) Dean's Review Committee in Arts & Science

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Restrictions are noted at the file level.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

A finding aid can be downloaded from this description by clicking on the Download link under "Finding aid" on the right-hand side of this description.

Finding aid

Associated materials

Related materials


A1980-012, A1982-004, A1983-019, A1984-045, A1985-043, A1985-045, A1986-059, A1987-008, A1987-015, A1987-016, A1987-028, A1987-032, A1987-049, A1988-011, A1988-022, A1988-037, A1988-057, A1989-028, A1989-032, A1989-034, A1994-008, A1994-018, A1994-024, A1995-021, A1995-026, A1995-032, A1995-038

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Entered into AtoM on August 15, 2017.

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres