Title and statement of responsibility area
Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
41.3 m of textual records and other material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Administrative History of the Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences Manitoba Agricultural College was formerly opened in 1906. In the following year Manitoba Agricultural College became affiliated with the University of Manitoba so that the degree in agriculture could be conferred on students who had successfully completed the five-year course. However, the affiliation of Manitoba Agricultural College with the University was terminated by an Act of the Provincial Legislature in 1912 when the College was granted degree conferring powers. However, in 1916 the Act was amended and the affiliation between the College and University restored again. The University of Manitoba conferred the degree of Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (B.S.A.) for the first time in May 1911. Regular instruction in Home Economics began the same year and the degree of Bachelor of Home Economics (B.H.E.) was first conferred in May 1918. On March 1, 1924, by Act of the Manitoba Legislature, the administration of Manitoba Agricultural College was transferred to the Board of Governors of the University and it was arranged that in future the instructional work of the College could be carried on as a Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics of the University. The length of the degree courses in both Agriculture and Home Economics was reduced to four sessions in 1927-1928 to conform with the other university faculties. In 1929, the Legislature selected the site in Fort Garry, already occupied by the Manitoba Agricultural College since 1913, as the permanent site of the University.A systematic program of work in the field of rural adult education began in 1940. In 1946 the Department of Agricultural Engineering was added to the faculty. In 1966 the Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics opened the Centre for Applied Research at Glenlea, twenty kilometres south of Winnipeg.In 1970 the Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics separated into two independent faculties, Agriculture and Home Economics. Beginning in 1971 the Faculty of Agriculture, through sponsorship from the Provincial Government, became involved with various foreign aid programs. This culminated in 1979 when the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) financed a joint agricultural program with the University of Zambia. In July 1991 the Faculty became the Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences.
Custodial History The material was donated to Archives & Special Collections in several accessions between 1980 and 1993 by members of the Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences, Don Meadows, and Jessie McQueen. Dr. Don Meadows, Communications Officer, donated letters, newsletters and records of the Manitoba Agricultural Graduates Association from 1935–1980 on behalf of the Faculty in 1980. The Faculty of Agriculture donated material in 1981. Dr. Meadows donated framed and mounted photographs, negatives, manuscript material from 1900-1981, as well as four audio reels from 1978-1979 in 1982. The tapes have been incorporated into TC 11. In 1983 L.B. Siemens, Associate Dean of the Faculty, donated the following papers that had been presented at various agricultural conferences: "Sustainable Food Systems: The Canadian Perspective," (August 1981); "Impact of Food Shortages in the Developing Countries on International Security," (September 1981); "Canadian Agriculture and Third World Food Supply," (October 1981). In 1988 Dr. Meadows once again donated material on behalf of the Faculty including: Faculty Council Minutes (1946-1949); Professional Reprints (1916-1946); and Manitoba Cooperative Weekly in five bound volumes (1967-1975). This donation was incorporated into UA 21 in 1987. Donalda Johnson donated photographs that were incorporated into PC 17 in 1993. The Faculty transferred notes and minutes relating to building and fundraising meetings, and Capital Campaign to the Archives in 1999.
Scope and content
The fonds is divided into thirteen series as noted below. The textual records include correspondence, budgets, minutes, annual reports, research proposals and results, course syllabi, papers, exams, and publicity and press releases for the School of Agriculture, the Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences, and the Faculty's component department. The files of the Canadian International Development Association's work in Kenya and Zambia are also included. The photograph collection consists of over 2000 photographs, over 400 slides, and 16 packets of negatives that illustrate a number of activities involving the Manitoba Agricultural College and its predecessor, the Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences. The tape collection consists of four audio reels that detail the following topics: Manitoba Agricultural College History – Extension; the birth of 4H in Canada; the first Home Economics Programs; the organization of Women's Institutes in Manitoba; Dr. L.H. Shebeski; "The Challenge of Agriculture"; Dr. Baldur Stefanson on "The Rapeseed Story"; an example of an Agricultural Diploma oral examination; and Glen Dyck Morden on the "Farm Business Planning Project."
Immediate source of acquisition
This collection is arranged into twelve series: Dean's Office, Faculty of Agriculture, 1911-1988 School of Agriculture, 1959-1976 Associate Dean's Office, Faculty of Agriculture, 1926-1988 Department of Plant Science, 1906-1982 Department of Animal Science, 1914-1986 Department of Agricultural Economics, 1908-1986 Department of Agricultural Engineering, 1945-1986 Department of Entomology, 1917-1981 Glenlea Research Station, 1962-1986 Canadian International Development Association (Kenya) Files, 1966-1984 Canadian International Development Association (Zambia) Files, 1975-1988 Photograph Collection (PC 17), 1873-1986 Tape Collection (TC 11), 1978-1979
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Files labeled "Restricted" contain confidential information and are not available for research without the permission of Archives & Special Collections.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
A finding aid for the Glenlea Research Station series is available on-line.
Past accruals include: A.80-06, A.81-16, A.82-44, A.82-46, A.82-47, A.83-08, A.83-13, A.88-01, A.88-02, A.88-03, A.88-04, A.88-05, A.88-06, A.88-07, A.88-08, A.88-47, A.88-49, A.89-37, A.89-38, A.89-43, A.89-44, A.90-01, A.90-41, A.90-67, A.90-74, A.90-75
Further accruals to this fonds are expected.