Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

Administrative History of the Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences Manitoba Agricultural College was formerly opened in 1906. In the following year Manitoba Agricultural College became affiliated with the University of Manitoba so that the degree in agriculture could be conferred on students who had successfully completed the five-year course. However, the affiliation of Manitoba Agricultural College with the University was terminated by an Act of the Provincial Legislature in 1912 when the College was granted degree conferring powers. However, in 1916 the Act was amended and the affiliation between the College and University restored again. The University of Manitoba conferred the degree of Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (B.S.A.) for the first time in May 1911. Regular instruction in Home Economics began the same year and the degree of Bachelor of Home Economics (B.H.E.) was first conferred in May 1918. On March 1, 1924, by Act of the Manitoba Legislature, the administration of Manitoba Agricultural College was transferred to the Board of Governors of the University and it was arranged that in future the instructional work of the College could be carried on as a Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics of the University. The length of the degree courses in both Agriculture and Home Economics was reduced to four sessions in 1927-1928 to conform with the other university faculties. In 1929, the Legislature selected the site in Fort Garry, already occupied by the Manitoba Agricultural College since 1913, as the permanent site of the University.A systematic program of work in the field of rural adult education began in 1940. In 1946 the Department of Agricultural Engineering was added to the faculty. In 1966 the Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics opened the Centre for Applied Research at Glenlea, twenty kilometres south of Winnipeg.In 1970 the Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics separated into two independent faculties, Agriculture and Home Economics. Beginning in 1971 the Faculty of Agriculture, through sponsorship from the Provincial Government, became involved with various foreign aid programs. This culminated in 1979 when the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) financed a joint agricultural program with the University of Zambia. In July 1991 the Faculty became the Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC