Title and statement of responsibility area
Edmund G. Berry fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UMASC MSS SC 137
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0.03 m of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Edmund G. Berry was born in Aberdeenshire in 1915. He received his earliest education in Scotland before immigrating to Canada with his parents. Berry attended Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario, where he received a B.A. Honours degree in Classics in 1936 and an M.A. in 1937. In 1940 he completed his Ph.D. in the Department of Greek at the University of Chicago and accepted an appointment to the Classics department at the University of Manitoba. He became department head in 1956, a position he held for 17 years, and retired in 1980. After retirement Berry was appointed Professor Emeritus of the University of Manitoba. Professor Berry published Emerson's Plutarch in 1961 and numerous articles over the course of his academic career.
The textual records were donated by Edmund G. Berry to University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections on September 3, 1993. This fonds was originally titled "Harry S. Crowe," but was changed to its present title in March 2002 due to its provenance. The photograph collection was donated to University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections in 1980.
Scope and content
Like many academics in 1958, Edmund G. Berry became interested in what became known as the Crowe case and its testing of the boundaries of academic freedom in Canadian universities and colleges. In March of 1958 United College (now a part of the University of Winnipeg) Principal Wilfred C. Lockhart anonymously received an opened letter written by tenured History Professor Harry S. Crowe, then on academic leave at Queens University, that was intended for United College German professor William (Viljo) Packer. In the letter, the content of which was never made public, Crowe apparently made disparaging remarks about the academic environment of United College. Lockhart was offended by the letter and sent correspondence to Crowe that if he in fact viewed the college in such a negative way, he should seek employment elsewhere and would be given a year to seek employment. Crowe refused to resign and thus began a process of acrimonious negotiation between Crowe and the administration. Universities across the country closely followed the Crowe case. Eventually Crowe was allowed to stay at United College, but opted to move to a new job as research director for the Canadian Brotherhood of Railway, Transport and General Workers. He returned to academia at York University in 1966.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restricitons on acess to this material.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid is currently unavailable.