Title and statement of responsibility area
Eaton's Department Store fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UMASC Mss 292 (A.09-34)
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Eaton's department store was created in Toronto, 1869 by Timothy E. Eaton. In 1905, after mail-order success in western Canada, a Winnipeg retail location was built at Portage Avenue and Donald Street making it the second store of what became a household-name retail chain across Canada. The Winnipeg retailer became the most successful outlet in Canada in relation to its market dominance. Beginning in December of 1905, the annual Eaton's Santa Claus Parade took place in Toronto. The Winnipeg and Montreal locations also began the tradition in the following years. In 1907, Timothy Eaton died, leaving his son John Craig Eaton to run T. Eaton Co. Limited. Subsequent development of outlet stores and mini-mall expansions led to reduced sales in the mid-1900s. Due to poor marketing strategies, economic recession in the early 1980s, opening of markets to foreign capital that same decade and suburban sprawl, the Eaton's brand name became less dominant in the Canadian marketplace by the late-20th century. By 1997, T. Eaton Co. Limited filed for bankruptcy. The majority assets were purchased by Sears Canada. A large civic debate began regarding the future uses of the once famous Winnipeg landmark building. The Winnipeg Eaton's location was demolished in 2002 to make way for what is presently the MTS Centre, which currently displays a statue of Timothy Eaton, a designated cultural heritage object by the province of Manitoba.
The University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections acquired the fonds from Jim Anderson in 2005.
Scope and content
The fonds contains four Eaton's pamphlets printed on colored paper. The pamphlets are titled: "A Girls Guide to Hosiery", "Recent Additions to the Eaton's Lending Library", and two from May 8 and 15 of 1941 titled "Our Own Fashion Teas in the Grill Room." The textual records display the events and information provided to the public about the goings on at the Eaton's Winnipeg location.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on this material.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid is currently unavailable.
Further accruals may be expected.