Sous-fonction UA 53 (A2012-71) - University of Manitoba Cyclotron Laboratory

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

University of Manitoba Cyclotron Laboratory

Dénomination générale des documents

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

Niveau de description



CA UMASC UA 53 (A2012-71)

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production


  • 1957-1989 (Production)
    Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Manitoba

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

0.03 m of textual records.-- 1,261 technical drawings.-- 5 artifacts. -- 5 photographs.

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur


Histoire administrative

One of the original departments created along with the Faculty of Science when it was established in 1904 was the Department of Physics and Mineralogy. However, it was only in 1911, that the Department of Physics was officially established. The department's faculty was composed of Prof. Frank Allen, Asst. Professor McClung, and a demonstrator named Mr. T.A. Neelin. The first graduate degree was awarded by the department in 1922 and the first doctorate in 1930. In 1950, the Department of Mathematical Physics was established and by 1956, the Physics department became the leading centre for nuclear spectroscopy and its application in the whole of Canada. The department acquired its own building, the Allen Physics Building, when it was completed in 1960. In 1965, the Departments of Physics and Mathematical Physics were amalgamated due to their overlapping mandates.

Concurrently, by 1910, the first two courses in astronomy were offered. The expansion gained by the astronomers led to an amalgamation with the Mathematics department due to its close research relations, and the two departments formed the Department of Mathematics and Astronomy in 1911. From 1920 until the mid-1940s, four undergraduate courses, along with one graduate course, were being taught by astronomy. In 1964, the astronomers moved into the newly constructed University College, complete with a small observation deck. With the finanical assistance of the Charles E. Merrill Trust of New York in April 1965, the University built a planetarium that became the first modern planetarium in Winnipeg and was opened in November of 1965. By the 1990s, the ties of cosmology to nuclear and particle physics played a part in the astronomers leaving the Mathematics department. The astronomers joined the Physics department in 1997, amalgamating into the Department of Physics and Astronomy.

Historique de la conservation

After the project came to an end in 1989, the records of the Cyclotron Laboratory remained abandoned in storage within the Physics Department at the University of Manitoba. In 2012, the records were rediscovered and placed in the custody of Jasper McKee who donated them to University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections to avoid destruction.

Portée et contenu

The Cyclotron Laboratory sous-fonds documents the research and construction of the cyclotron as well as additional changes over the project’s lifetime. The sous-fonds contains four series: Cyclotron Technical Drawings, Research Materials, a cyclotron drawing index and Photographs.

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Some of the technical drawings are faded and are in brittle condition, thus, these would require careful handling.

Source immédiate d'acquisition

Donated by Dr. Jasper McKee in 2012.


This collection is arranged into 4 series: Photograph Collection, Textual Records, Technical Drawings and Objects.

Langue des documents

Écriture des documents

Note de langue et graphie


Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

There are no restrictions on access.

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Due to the physical condition of some of the items, special care is required in their handling.

Instruments de recherche

An index to the technical drawings accompanied the collection.

Éléments associés

Other records relating to the cyclotron project can be found in the Jovan Jovanovich fonds, Jasper McKee fonds and Kenneth Standing fonds.

82 sheets of technical drawings were separated on February 3rd 2014, along with 3 steel and one plastic template on February 19th, 2014, per the advice of Dr. Jim Birchall, a retired physics professor at the University of Manitoba, who has previously worked on the cyclotron.

Éléments associés


No further accruasl are expected.

Note générale

Preferred citation: University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections - Department of Physics and Astronomy fonds - The University of Manitoba Cyclotron Laboratory sous-fonds (UA 53 A.12-71)

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé


Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de la description du document

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles ou conventions


Niveau de détail

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

Created February 18, 2014 by Mary Grace Golfo and Nicole Courrier; Edited by Dr. Jim Birchall on August 26,2014.

Langue de la description

Langage d'écriture de la description


Zone des entrées

Sujets associés

Personnes et organismes associés

Lieux associés

Genres associés