Title and statement of responsibility area
University of Manitoba Cyclotron Laboratory
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UMASC UA 53 (A2012-71)
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Manitoba
Physical description area
0.03 m of textual records.-- 1,261 technical drawings.-- 5 artifacts. -- 5 photographs.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
One of the original departments created along with the Faculty of Science when it was established in 1904 was the Department of Physics and Mineralogy. However, it was only in 1911, that the Department of Physics was officially established. The department's faculty was composed of Prof. Frank Allen, Asst. Professor McClung, and a demonstrator named Mr. T.A. Neelin. The first graduate degree was awarded by the department in 1922 and the first doctorate in 1930. In 1950, the Department of Mathematical Physics was established and by 1956, the Physics department became the leading centre for nuclear spectroscopy and its application in the whole of Canada. The department acquired its own building, the Allen Physics Building, when it was completed in 1960. In 1965, the Departments of Physics and Mathematical Physics were amalgamated due to their overlapping mandates.
Concurrently, by 1910, the first two courses in astronomy were offered. The expansion gained by the astronomers led to an amalgamation with the Mathematics department due to its close research relations, and the two departments formed the Department of Mathematics and Astronomy in 1911. From 1920 until the mid-1940s, four undergraduate courses, along with one graduate course, were being taught by astronomy. In 1964, the astronomers moved into the newly constructed University College, complete with a small observation deck. With the finanical assistance of the Charles E. Merrill Trust of New York in April 1965, the University built a planetarium that became the first modern planetarium in Winnipeg and was opened in November of 1965. By the 1990s, the ties of cosmology to nuclear and particle physics played a part in the astronomers leaving the Mathematics department. The astronomers joined the Physics department in 1997, amalgamating into the Department of Physics and Astronomy.
After the project came to an end in 1989, the records of the Cyclotron Laboratory remained abandoned in storage within the Physics Department at the University of Manitoba. In 2012, the records were rediscovered and placed in the custody of Jasper McKee who donated them to University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections to avoid destruction.
Scope and content
The Cyclotron Laboratory sous-fonds documents the research and construction of the cyclotron as well as additional changes over the project’s lifetime. The sous-fonds contains four series: Cyclotron Technical Drawings, Research Materials, a cyclotron drawing index and Photographs.
Some of the technical drawings are faded and are in brittle condition, thus, these would require careful handling.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated by Dr. Jasper McKee in 2012.
This collection is arranged into 4 series: Photograph Collection, Textual Records, Technical Drawings and Objects.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Due to the physical condition of some of the items, special care is required in their handling.
An index to the technical drawings accompanied the collection.
Other records relating to the cyclotron project can be found in the Jovan Jovanovich fonds, Jasper McKee fonds and Kenneth Standing fonds.
82 sheets of technical drawings were separated on February 3rd 2014, along with 3 steel and one plastic template on February 19th, 2014, per the advice of Dr. Jim Birchall, a retired physics professor at the University of Manitoba, who has previously worked on the cyclotron.
No further accruasl are expected.
Preferred citation: University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections - Department of Physics and Astronomy fonds - The University of Manitoba Cyclotron Laboratory sous-fonds (UA 53 A.12-71)
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created February 18, 2014 by Mary Grace Golfo and Nicole Courrier; Edited by Dr. Jim Birchall on August 26,2014.