Title and statement of responsibility area
Continuing Education Division fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Continuing Education Division
- Dean's Office, Continuing Education Division
Physical description area
8.5 m of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
A program in Adult Education was initiated in 1942 for the benefit of rural people struggling with shortages during the war. Study groups were organized to examine various topics which dealt with eventual reconstruction. A course in Adult Education was offered in 1945 at the University but did not gain departmental status until 1949, with the recommendation of the Manitoba Royal Commission on Adult Education. The Department of University Extension was established in 1949 with A.S.R. Tweedie as Director. In 1953, the Department absorbed the Evening Institute and began to offer credit courses along with various "short" courses.
By 1961, with the rapid increase in the number of student enrolments, the Department moved from its Broadway site to the Isbister Building on the Fort Garry campus. In the mid-1960s, the Department divided into four main operating areas: Management Studies, Professional Studies, the Evening Institute, and the Audio-Visual Division. In 1975, the Department of University Extension became the Continuing Education Division under Dean David J. Lawless and moved to the Frank Kennedy Centre where it currently resides as Extended Education. Continuing Education was organized into administrative and program departments, which included the Dean's Office, Access and Special Pre-Medical Studies, Canadian Forces University Program, Distance Education, General Studies, Language Studies Area, Management, Professional and Community Programs, Summer/Intersession, and the University of Manitoba Downtown.
Scope and content
The fonds is organized in series pertaining to the administrative and program units which have existed within the Division. The records include budget files, correspondence, policy and procedure manuals, committee minutes and reports, student records, course files, applications, and general files documenting the development and delivery of Continuing Education programs and the administration of the Division.
Immediate source of acquisition
The fonds was donated to University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections by the Continuing Education Division in several accessions in 1978, 1979, and 1991.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Confidential records are restricted.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
A finding aid can be generated from this description.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Entered into Atom on February 3, 2017 by Natalie Vielfaure