Title and statement of responsibility area
Community Players of Winnipeg fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UMASC Mss Sc 9
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0.03 m of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Two lawyers, H.A.V. Green and C. Alan Crowley, established The Community of Players of Winnipeg as an amateur theatre group in 1921. Their mandate included providing facilities for the production of plays written by Canadian authors as well as providing Canadian playwrights and Canadian players the opportunity to practice their art and obtain national recognition. The general committee acted as management and was originally composed of seven men including a doctor, a professor and two lawyers. Support for the theatre group came in the form of memberships and subscriptions. Three types of memberships were available to the community: the players membership, which was available to those who demonstrated ability to the committee, the service membership, which was available to any member of the community interested in working on plays, and finally, the guarantors' membership. The Community Players offered four major productions every season and often mounted additional productions. The change of name from the Community Players to Winnipeg Little Theatre must have occurred after 1932 although the date is not clearly defined.
The last 1933 issue, and two complete, four-issue sets of The Bill for 1935/36 & 1936/37 plays seasons of the Winnipeg were donated to University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections by Mrs. Lillian Frauer and deposited by Professor Alan Catchpole in 1996. Frauer's husband, Charles Frauer, B.Ar., University of Manitoba, was the set designer for many of the plays performed during this season and, created several other stage settings during this period. Information on the custodial history of the remainder of the fonds is unavailable.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of programmes from 1923-1930, newspaper clippings, Treasurer's Reports of the 1927 and 1928 season, The Bill from 1928 to 1937, Little Theatre Gossip, correspondence, and typescripts of speeches and historical summaries.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on this material.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid is currently unavailable.
Community Players of Winnipeg fonds":http://digitalcollections.lib.umanitoba.ca/islandora/object/uofm%3Acpow
No further accruals to this fonds are expected.