Community Players of Winnipeg

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Community Players of Winnipeg

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1921-1932

History

Two lawyers, H.A.V. Green and C. Alan Crowley, established The Community of Players of Winnipeg as an amateur theatre group in 1921. Their mandate included providing facilities for the production of plays written by Canadian authors as well as providing Canadian playwrights and Canadian players the opportunity to practice their art and obtain national recognition. The general committee acted as management and was originally composed of seven men including a doctor, a professor and two lawyers. Support for the theatre group came in the form of memberships and subscriptions. Three types of memberships were available to the community: the players membership, which was available to those who demonstrated ability to the committee, the service membership, which was available to any member of the community interested in working on plays, and finally, the guarantors' membership. The Community Players offered four major productions every season and often mounted additional productions. The change of name from the Community Players to Winnipeg Little Theatre must have occurred after 1932 although the date is not clearly defined.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

cpw

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC