Title and statement of responsibility area
Business and Professional Women's Club of Winnipeg fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UMASC Tc 79 (A.91-24)
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Business and Professional Women's Club of Winnipeg (BPWCW) was established in 1924 to provide a forum for women professionals to meet, discuss common problems and lobby for women's issues. Issues in which the club was interested included equal pay for work of equal value, better treatment of women in the workplace, and the creation and improvement of the Canada Pension plan. The club was originally situated in downtown Winnipeg at the St. Regis Hotel, but moved in 1946 to a house at 3 Evergreen Street in the Osborne Village neighborhood of Winnipeg. In 1965, the Evergreen Clubhouse was sold and the club moved back downtown to a space above Moore's restaurant on Portage Avenue. The club is currently located on Lombard Avenue in downtown Winnipeg.
The fonds was donated to University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections by Deanna Mallon in 1991.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of ten audio cassette tapes created by the Business and Professional Women's Club of Winnipeg Oral History project 1990. Each tape contains oral interviews with club members and details their reasons for involvement in the club. Interviewees were all long-standing members of the club and included: Winona Hockley, a retired schoolteacher; Olive Flett, also a schoolteacher; Jenny Kirkness, a Winnipeg accountant and former president of the BPWCW; Jean Miller, a librarian; Ida Fenwick, an accountant and holder of several positions in the club's executive including honourary president; Frances Lovat, a secretary and former member of the club's executive; Mabel E. Kent, a stenographer and former secretary of the club; Jessie Buckingham, a schoolteacher; Irene Grant, the first married female schoolteacher in Manitoba; Marguerite Hargrave, a court reporter and member of several BPWCW committees; Lily Hobbs, a secretary for the federal Department of Agriculture; and Beatrice Deeks, who worked for the federal government's unemployment office and a former second vice-president of the club. Interviews were conducted by Kimberly Kappel, Deanna Mallen, and Carole Vann. The fonds also consists of printed summaries of the interviews, which are arranged chronologically.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on this material.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Printed finding aid is available in Archives reading room.
No further accruals to this fonds are expected.