Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Barber, Edmund Lorenzo
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
- Barber, E.L.
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Edmund Lorenzo Barber, son of Guy Barber, was born at Hamden, Connecticut, USA in 1834. He received little in the way of formal education and at the age of fourteen he left home on a year’s voyage around Cape Horn to California. By 1854 he had moved to St. Paul, Minnesota, where he found employment with the Minnesota Democrat newspaper. In 1856 Barber’s cousin, George Brott, came west and together they formed the Breckenridge Land Company. In 1859 Brott purchased the dry goods firm of W. G. Fonseca and S. Fullerton of St. Paul and in February 1860, he appointed Barber as his agent to open a retail store in the Red River Settlement. Barber's 1862 marriage to Barbara Logan connected him with a well-established Red River family.
In 1868 Barber extended his business, becoming an agent for furs, hides, and firewood, and part owner with J. F. Robinson in the Crescent Farm. In 1869 he joined J. C. Schultz in a real estate venture in the Point Douglas area. His business prospered with the arrival of the Wolseley Expedition as he received part of the Mounted Constabulary account. His business soon declined, however, and to pay his creditors he entered into a brief partnership with John MacGregor in 1871. In 1872, he opened a store in Portage la Prairie which was operated by Martin Burnell and which proved to be a failure, as were his plans to operate a saloon at Pembina, North Dakota to capitalize on the thirst of the Boundary Commission surveyors.
On 23 September 1873, Barber purchased the newspaper The Nor’Wester from J. C. Schultz for $2,400. The newspaper did not do as well financially as expected, so Barber’s sister-in-law Margaret Logan arranged a chattel mortgage with Schultz so the paper could continue publication. In May 1877, Barber, his wife Barbara, and Richard Paul signed articles of agreement and entered into co-partnership in the operation of the Winnipeg Ice Company. In 1880, Barber joined E. G. Conklin in the operation of the Manitoba Soap Candle and Oil Works Company, which proved to be a short-lived venture. The following year, Barber again entered the real estate business and continued in this field until his death. After 1890, he supplemented his income by being appointed an “issuer of marriages of licenses.” At the time of his death, 24 April 1909 in Winnipeg, his daughter Lillie was active in managing his interests and continued to do so for several years.
Barber’s home at 99 Euclid Avenue in the Point Douglas area of Winnipeg still stands, and is one of the few remaining examples of early Red River Settlement architecture.
He is commemorated by Barber Street in Winnipeg.
His extensive business and personal papers, including textual records, photographs, and paintings, are held at the Archives of Manitoba (MG14 C66) from which the above biographical sketch was obtained.