Fonds MSS 364 - Atlas Wrecking Company Fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Atlas Wrecking Company Fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UMASC MSS 364

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1896-[1985?] (Creation)
    Creator
    Atlas Wrecking Company

Physical description area

Physical description

0.63 m of graphic and other materials

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

([1933-1970])

Administrative history

The Atlas Wrecking Company was established in the early 1900's by David Billinkoff. Coming to Winnipeg from Russia on Christmas Eve, Billinkoff used his only dollar to buy a handsaw, going door to door offering to cut wood. He also began hauling loads of frozen gravel from Birds Hill to the City of Winnipeg, and eventually developed a scrap lumber resale business. After David's passing in 1933, his son Alecander quit school to run Billinkoff Wrecking and Lumber, and was eventually joined by his brothers Ben and Joe. In the 1950's the business became two distinct companies, Billinkoff's Lumber and the Atlas Wrecking Company. Over the years, Atlas completed many major wrecking, salvaging, or demolishing projects occurring in Western Canada. This includes the demolition of various public structures in Winnipeg such as the old Canadian National Telegraph's building at the corner of Portage Avenue and Main Street, the old Winnipeg Electric Company's steam generating plant, and the old Canadian Distillery in St. Boniface to name a few. Before and during each demolition, pictures were taken to document the event, making a unique contribution to the city's evolving landscape.

Custodial history

This fonds was donated to the University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections in the Elizabeth Dafoe Library by Batya Billinkoff in 2012.

Scope and content

This collection is comprised of newspaper articles, photographs, negatives, letters and other printed materials. In addition to textual materials, the collection includes 1163 photographs and 1 reel to reel audio tape.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

This collection is arranged by series

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script note

English

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

A finding aid can be generated from this description.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Tape Collection

TC 164

Photograph Collection

PC 320

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Inventory prepared by Alanna MacIsaac (April 2012)

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres