Showing 1566 results

authority records

Tarnawecky, Iraida

  • tarnawecky_i
  • Person
  • 1924-2011

Dr. Iraida Gerus Tarnawecky was born in 1924 in Pochaiv, Volhynia, in what was then part of eastern Poland (now Ukraine). Her parents were Reverend Serhij and Anna Gerus (Palianychka). In 1949, she obtained a B.Sc. from the Georg August (informally known as the Georgia Augusta) University in Goettingen, Germany. After immigrating to Canada in 1950, she obtained an M.A. from the University of Manitoba (1964) and a Ph.D. from the Ukrainian Free University (Munich, Germany, 1965) in Slavic Studies. Dr. Tarnawecky was married to the late Professor Emeritus Michael Tarnawecky (1924-2003), an electrical engineer, and had two daughters, Marusia and Natalka. From 1963 to 1968, she served as a sessional and full-time lecturer with the Department of Slavic Studies (University of Manitoba). In 1968, she was appointed Assistant Professor with the department. She was promoted to the rank of Associate Professor in 1975 and to the rank of Full Professor in 1984. Upon her retirement from the Department of German and Slavic Studies, Dr. Tarnawecky was honoured with the title of Senior Scholar.

Dr. Tarnawecky was a renowned Slavic linguist and onomastist with a keen interest in Slavic philology and Cyrillic paleography. She was published both nationally and internationally and her publications include two books and many articles. One of her most important publications is entitled East Slavic Cyrillica in Canadian Depositories (1981), a monograph identifying public and private Canadian collections containing Cyrillic manuscripts and early books. In order to compile the material for her research, Dr. Tarnawecky visited 87 institutions and private collections throughout Canada. In 1974, Dr. Tarnawecky was the first Canadian academic chosen in an agreement between the Canada Council and the former U.S.S.R. Academy of Sciences to carry out a research program in the history of Slavic languages at the Linguistic Institute in Moscow and Kyiv. She remained active throughout her career in various associations and committees, including Vice-President of the Canadian Society for the Study of Names, Chairperson of the Humanities Section of the Ukrainian Academy of Sciences in Canada (UVAN), member of the Senate for St. Andrew’s College Library, editior of the Onomastica series, and a former member of the Canada Council Selection Committee for Doctoral Scholarships in the Humanities and Social Sciences.

Dr. Iraida Tarnawecky passed away on July 5, 2011.

Yereniuk, Roman

  • yereniuk_r
  • Person

Roman Yereniuk was an Associate Professor at St. Andrew’s College and a Sessional Lecturer with the Centre for Ukrainian Canadian Studies, the Department of Religion, and the Department of German and Slavic Studies, at the University of Manitoba. He taught courses on the History of Eastern Christianity and the experience of Ukrainian Canadians. Yereniuk was born in Salzburg, Austria in 1946 and immigrated to Edmonton, Alberta, with his parents and siblings in 1949. He received his primary and secondary education in Edmonton. A graduate of the University of Manitoba (B.A., 1970), Yereniuk also earned an M.Div. in Theology (St. Andrew's College, 1970), an M.A. in Religious Studies (McGill University, 1972), and a Licentiate (1978) and Doctorate (1988) in Eastern Christian History from the Oriental Institute in Rome.

At St. Andrew’s College he was employed as Lecturer and Dean of Residence (1972-1975), Assistant Professor and Dean of Students (1980-1988), Principal and Associate Professor (1988-1998), Associate Professor (1998-2008), and Associate Professor and Acting Director of the Centre for Ukrainian Canadian Studies (2008-2016). He served as a sessional lecturer in the Departments of Religion, Slavic Studies and the Centre for Ukrainian Canadian Studies on numerous occasions from the early 1970s through the 2010s.

In addition to numerous popular and scholarly articles, Yereniuk co-authored (with Basil Rotoff and Stella Hryniuk) “Monuments to Faith: Ukrainian Churches in Manitoba” (Winnipeg: University of Manitoba Press, 1990), and he published two works on the Ukrainian Orthodox Church: a pamphlet entitled “A short historical outline of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada (UOCC)” (Winnipeg: Ecclesia Publishing, 2008) and a monograph “Ukrains’ka pravoslavna tserkva: vybrani istorychni narysy z XVII-XVIII st. i z Ukrains’koi kanads’koi diiaspory” (Lviv: Litopys, 2010). He also served as editor of “Vira i kul’tura” (Faith and Culture) an irregular scholarly journal published by St. Andrew’s College.

Yereniuk was also active in civic and federal politics. On two occasions, he was elected and served as a school trustee with the Winnipeg School Division (1989-1995, 1998-2006). In 1993-1994 he was the Regional Director of the Manitoba Association of School Trustees. During the 1997 and 2000 federal election campaigns Yereniuk ran unsuccessfully as a New Democratic Party candidate in the Winnipeg—St. Paul constituency.

In 2019 Yereniuk was awarded a Ukrainian Canadian Leadership Award of Excellence by the Ukrainian Canadian Congress.

Tracz, Orysia

  • tracz_o
  • Person
  • 1945-2016

Orysia (Paszczak) Tracz (1945-2016) was born in a displaced persons camp in Berchtesgaden, Bavaria, to Ukrainian parents who had been transported to Germany as forced labourers during World War II. In 1949 the family moved to the United States taking up residence in Jersey City, Newark and Irvington, New Jersey. Active in various Ukrainian organizations during her childhood and youth, Orysia majored in Political Science at the George Washington University in Washington D.C. (1963-67) and spent her summers working at Soyuzivka, a Ukrainian resort in upstate New York, where she met many prominent Ukrainian émigré artists, including Jacques Hnizdovsky and Edward Kozak (Eko). In 1967 she married Myroslav Tracz, whom she had met at Soyuzivka, and accompanied him on his VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) assignment to the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation in South Dakota. A year later the young couple moved to Winnipeg, which became their home, and where they raised their three sons.

Orysia was employed by the University of Manitoba Libraries as a library assistant in the Slavic Collection, in Archives & Special Collections, and in Collections Management (1968-78, 1988-2010). In her spare time she was active in the local Ukrainian community: she volunteered, served on the Board of Directors, and was briefly the acting executive director of the Ukrainian Cultural and Educational Centre (Oseredok); she served on the executive of the Alpha Omega Women’s Alumnae; she taught Ukrainian heritage school classes at the “Prosvita” Ukrainian Reading Association on Saturday mornings; she wrote and broadcast weekly commentaries for the Ukrainian program on Winnipeg’s CKJS Radio; she was a columnist for the popular, widely circulated “Ukrainian Weekly” newspaper, published in New Jersey; and she produced a stream of letters-to-the-editor, some of them published in the mainstream press and periodicals, on issues of concern to Ukrainians in North America.

Above all, she pursued her lifelong interest in Ukrainian folk traditions, arts and ethnography with relentless enthusiasm. During the early 1970s she was involved in the Mamaj Gallery and fine arts boutique, established by her husband Myroslav, where works by some of the artists they had met at Soyuzivka were displayed and sold. Between 1971 and 2006 she organized and curated a number of Ukrainian folk and fine arts displays and exhibits at the University of Manitoba Libraries, including several displays of pysanky (Ukrainian Easter eggs) and an exhibit of the works of the Ukrainian-born American painter, printmaker, graphic designer, and illustrator Jacques Hnizdovsky (1915-1985). In 1975-76 she served as a researcher on the production of Slavko Nowytski’s award-winning film “Pysanka: The Ukrainian Easter Egg” and she published her first article on the subject in “The Canadian Collector.” In subsequent years she delivered countless popular lectures on Ukrainian folk arts and traditions in Winnipeg and in Ukrainian communities all across North America. She served as a consultant on costumes, songs and dances for many Ukrainian-Canadian performing arts groups and she advised several Canadian authors on the Ukrainian content of their novels. From the mid-1980s she was frequently asked to translate Ukrainian-language books on the folk arts into English, working on texts prepared and published by the émigré World Federation of Ukrainian Women’s Organizations, and after 1991 on books produced by Rodovid Publishers and the Ivan Honchar Museum in Kyiv, Ukraine. In 1993, and then almost annually after 1997 she organized and led summer folk art and culture tours of Ukraine, with travelers from across North America, Australia and even Japan. In the fall of 2015 Orysia published “The First Star I See Tonight: Ukrainian Christmas Traditions”, an illustrated collection of her popular articles, several of them first published on the pages of the “Winnipeg Free Press.”

During her career Orysia Tracz received the Alpha Omega Alumnae Ukrainian Woman of the Year Award (1990), the Canada 125 Medal (1992), the University of Manitoba Outreach Award (1996), the Bulava Award of the Ukrainian Canadian Congress (2016), and she was an honouree of the Osvita Foundation/Manitoba Parents for Ukrainian Education (2013).

Shkandrij, Borys

  • shkandrij_b
  • Person
  • 1920-1997

Borys Shkandrij (pseudonym Bohdan Bora) was born on 11 April 1920 in the village of Pavlivka (Pavelche), near Ivano-Frankivsk (Stanislaviv), Ukraine (then part of Poland). He died on 20 August 1997 in Leeds, England. He was married to Olha nee Poloziuk (1923-2004) and they had two sons, Myroslav (b. 1950) and Oleh (b. 1954).

In his youth, Borys Shkandrij attended the Ukrainian high-school in Ivano-Frankivsk, taught schoolchildren in Pavlivka, acted in the local village theatre and wrote for the village newspaper. Most of his siblings died during the Second World War. An older brother Zakhar was imprisoned after the war, supposedly for giving food to insurrectionists (the UPA), and died in an uprising in the a Soviet concentration camp in the mid-1950s. The uprising was put down when tanks were sent in and he was one of the prisoners crushed. Borys volunteered for the Ukrainian Division Galicia (Halychyna) after the first formation of this division had been destroyed in the battle of Brody in July 1944. He attended training camp in Germany and was attached to the division as it retreated toward Italy. He spent the rest of the war in prisoner-of-war camps in Rimini, Italy, and then in Selby, Yorkshire, England, and was released in 1949.

In England he worked in textile factories, often working night shifts for six days a week. He was for several years inspector of community-based Ukrainian schools in the United Kingdom, which gave lessons on Saturdays or Sundays, and he authored a textbook on teaching methodology for these schools (1970). In addition he wrote several articles for the London-based Ukrainian newspaper Dumka (Thought) and his poetry was often published in both Dumka and in the Munich-based Vyzvol’nyi shliakh (Liberation Path). However, he never joined the OUN(B) party that ran these newspapers and turned down the offer of editing their newspaper Dumka.

Borys Shkandrij is best known as a poet who wrote under the pseudonym Bohdan Bora. His first two books of poetry appeared in the Rimini prisoner-of-war camp in 1946. These were later republished, but with some changes to the originals, in his collection Buremni dni (Turbulent Times, 1982). A second book of poetry Tverd’ i nizhnist’ (Hard and Soft, 1972) contains poetry written in postwar emigration. Much of the poetry from the last twenty-five years of his life has not been collected or published.

Kuzyk, Fred

  • kuzyk_f
  • Person
  • 1922-2016

Fred Kuzyk (1922-2016) was born in Glenella, Manitoba, to Ukrainian pioneers Sam and Anna (Sul) Kuzyk. He received his primary education in Poplar Point, Manitoba, where the family relocated in 1928, and his high school education in Brandon, Manitoba. In 1946 he graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering from the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg. During the next few years, he was employed as an engineer on the electrification of rural Manitoba. In 1949, the year he married Kay, Fred established Amalgamated Construction, a road building company that he operated until his retirement in 1997. The company constructed over 500 miles of roads and participated in the construction of the Red River Floodway during the 1960s. Fred was a long-time member of the Association of Professional Engineers, and the Manitoba Road Builders’ Association. He also played a leading role as participant and organizer in many Faculty of Engineering, Class of ’46 Reunions. Within the local Ukrainian-Canadian community, Fred was actively involved with Ukrainian Catholic parish life, the “Obnova” student society, and St. Vladimir’s College in Roblin. He was a long-time member of the Knights of Columbus, St. Joseph’s Ukrainian Catholic Branch; the Ukrainian Professional and Business Club (UPBC) of Winnipeg; and the Sons of Ukrainian Pioneers (SOUP) Club. Beginning in the 1950s and for the remainder of his life Fred was actively involved in efforts to establish and then to sustain the Holy Family Nursing Home in Winnipeg.

Fred (Frederick Theodore) Kuzyk and Kay (Catherine; nee Sawchuk) Kuzyk were married for 66 years. They were an upwardly mobile, Ukrainian-Canadian couple who raised 6 children and were active in many of Winnipeg’s Ukrainian-Canadian organizations and institutions.

Yuzyk, John

  • yuzyk_j
  • Person
  • 1913-2003

John Yuzyk was born on April 19, 1913 in Rhein, Saskatchewan. He grew up in a Ukrainian pioneer family. His father Dmytro Yuzyk came to Canada at the age of fifteen from Kopychyntsi, Husiatyn county, Crownland of Galicia, Austro-Hungarian Empire (now Ukraine) and settled on a farm in Kamsack, Saskatchewan. John studied music and received a diploma from the London College of Music in 1940. He recorded two albums (1960) and his songs were played on ethnic radio stations. In Regina, he worked for Saskatchewan Civil Service in the Assessment Branch.

During the Second World War, he served overseas with the Royal Canadian Air Force (R.C.A.F.) as an aircraft mechanic. There, he joined other Canadian Ukrainian personnel and together they formed the Ukrainian Canadian Servicemen’s Association (UCSA). He was appointed a Pilot Officer of the R.C.A.F. in 1959. After his honorable discharge from the military, John Yuzyk dedicated his life to Ukrainian veterans organizations in Canada. He was a longtime member of the Ukrainian Canadian Veterans Branch #141, Royal Canadian Legion and also president of the Ukrainian Canadian Veterans Association of Canada (UCVA; 1971-1974).

In Winnipeg, he worked in real estate for 35 years and retired in 1986. John Yuzyk was an active member of many Ukrainian organizations and received many awards and recognitions from the Government of Manitoba and the Ukrainian community. He passed away in Winnipeg on October 21, 2003.

Michalchyshyn Family

  • michalchyshyn_family
  • Family
  • 1909-2009

The Michalchyshyn family is one of many Ukrainian pioneer families who have shaped the history of Ukrainians in Manitoba. Walter Michalchyshyn was born on June 24, 1909 in Byczkiwci (Chortkiw), Crownland of Galicia, Austro-Hungarian Empire (now Ukraine). In 1923, he came with his parents, George (Yurii) and Kateryna Michalchyshyn to Canada, and settled in Portage la Prairie. His parents were deeply religious and were very active in the Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Portage la Prairie. They inspired their children and Walter followed his father’s footsteps, and became a cantor in Ukrainian Catholic churches.

In 1935 Walter married Catherine Kuzyk and worked as a baker in Brandon. Catherine was a devoted member of the Ukrainian Catholic Women’s League and other Ukrainian women’s organization. In 1948, the couple bought a bakery in Shoal Lake and worked there until 1959. When they moved to Winnipeg, Walter got a position as a supervisor at the Donut House. Walter was a member of the Parish Council of St. Joseph’s Ukrainian Catholic Church, and the St. Nicholas Mutual Benefit Association. Walter and Catherine Michalchyshyn had five children: Irene (Gajecky), Stella (Hryniuk), Joseph, Ivan, and Ray. They are all educated professionals who followed their parents’ example in their love for Ukrainian culture and history. Catherine Michalchyshyn died on October 8, 2009 predeceased by Walter Michalchyshyn, who died on September 1, 2000

Mandziuk, J. Nicholas

  • mandziuk_jn
  • Person
  • 1902-1969

J. Nicholas Mandziuk was born in the village of Kryvche, Borshchiv county, Crownland of Galicia, Austro-Hungarian Empire (now Ukraine) on December 13, 1902. In 1904, he immigrated with his parents to Canada, where they settled in the Ashville district of Manitoba. He graduated from the Teacher's College in 1921 and taught for several years in various schools in Manitoba and Saskatchewan. In 1933, he graduated with honours from the University of Manitoba with a Bachelor of Law degree. He practiced law in Oakburn, Manitoba and, in 1961, was honoured by being named Queen's Council. In Oakburn, he was active in community affairs, serving as Chairman of the Oakburn School District, President of the Oakburn Board of Trade, and Manager and founding member of Oakburn Credit Union. He was also active in the Ukrainian community, where he served on the following boards and associations: member and Chair of the Board of Oakburn National Home, founding member and executive member of St. George's Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Oakburn, President of the Manitoba Ukrainian Self-Reliance Association, and General Secretary of the Ukrainian Canadian Congress. His active role in the Ukrainian community resulted in his being awarded the Shevchenko Medal by the Ukrainian Canadian Congress and the Canada Service of Excellence Award by the Ukrainian Self Reliance League (USRL).

In 1957, Mandziuk ran as the Progressive Conservative candidate for the Manitoba federal riding of Marquette. He successfully won the riding and was re-elected in four subsequent elections. As a Member of Parliament, he served on various committees and represented Canada at international conferences, including acting as Chairman of the Manitoba Caucus, Member of the External Affairs Department, and Chairman of the Private Bills Committee, and serving on Canadian delegations to the United Nations, to the NATO Parliamentary Conference, to the Inter-Parliamentary Conference and to the Inter-Parliamentary Union.

Nicholas Mandziuk died on September 7, 1969. He was survived by his wife Mary (nee Wlasiuk), their daughters, Sonja Bejzyk and Darcia Zemlianski, and two grandchildren.

Lobchuk, W. (William)

  • lobchuk_w
  • Person
  • 1942-

William (Bill) Lobchuk was born in Neepawa, Manitoba and is a very accomplished artist. He received a Diploma of Art from the University of Manitoba (1966) and has played an active role in the arts community for over 40 years. He has received several awards and has been commissioned by numerous organizations. Lobchuk has had his artwork displayed in exhibitions since 1970 at many venues in Canada such as the Winnipeg Art Gallery, Burnaby Art Gallery in Burnaby, British Columbia, the Susan Whitney Gallery in Regina, Saskatchewan as well as internationally in Yugoslavia, Japan, and Holland. Lobchuk's artwork can be found in personal and corporate collections throughout Canada and the world. In 1996 he was elected to the Royal Canadian Academy of Art (R.C.A.)

Kuplowska, Olga

  • kuplowska_o
  • Person
  • 1949-

Olga (Olya) Kuplowska was born and raised in Montreal, Quebec. She studied at McGill University (B.A., Major in Psychology) and at the University of Toronto (M.A., Applied Psychology). She took early retirement from TVOntario, Ontario's educational broadcaster, where she worked for over 32 years in several capacities: as a Research Officer testing program concepts and pilots with children and students, as Director of Policy, Research and Planning, and as the Board Secretary and Director of the Board Secretariat. While at TVOntario, she represented the organization at various international forums, participated in international research ventures, and guest lectured at different universities. Her research activities included not only broadcast television but also television based learning systems and new technologies.

Throughout her life, Kuplowska has been an active member/supporter of the Ukrainian-Canadian community. Growing up in Montreal, she was a member of the Ukrainian Youth Association (SUM) and the Poltava Dance Ensemble. Moving to Toronto in the early seventies, she became active in SUSK (Ukrainian-Canadian Students Union) and served on various defence committees such as the Committee in Defence of Soviet Political Prisoners, the Plyusch Tour Committee, and Action for Women’s Rights in the USSR. Later she became involved with the Ukrainian Canadian Professional and Business Association and served on its Board for many years. She has also served on other community boards, including those of St. Vladimir Institute and the Ukrainian Canadian Research and Documentation Centre. In addition, she has volunteered hundreds of hours as needed to numerous activities and projects over the years. In 2001 she was elected President of the Canadian Foundation for Ukrainian Studies, a position she held for the next two decades.
Now that she is in semi-retirement, her key interests remain women's and human rights, multiculturalism, education, and the environment.

Knysh, Irene

  • knysh_i
  • Person
  • 1909-2006

Irena Knysh was a feminist, journalist, and author of many books on the Ukrainian women’s movement. She is well known not only among the Ukrainian Diaspora in Canada and America, but also in Ukraine. Irena Knysh was born on April 20, 1909 in Lviv, (then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, now Ukraine) to Dmytro and Anastazia Shkvarok. In 1933, she graduated from Lviv University with a Master’s degree in Philosophy. She was fluent in many languages including Ukrainian, Polish, French, German, and English. After her graduation, she became an instructor of linguistics and taught at various secondary schools in Lviv and Przemyśl (Peremyshl’). During the 1930s, she collaborated with the Ukrainian Military Organization (UVO) and Ukrainian Organization of Nationalists (OUN). In 1939, she married Zynovii Knysh, a political and community activist. Her son, George Knysh, was born in 1940. During the Second World War, the family lived in Cracow, Lviv, and Austria. After the war they moved to France, where Irena Knysh became the Head of the Ukrainian Women’s Alliance in France.

In 1950, she immigrated to Winnipeg and worked as a journalist for various Ukrainian newspapers including Kanadiis’kyi Farmer, Novyi shliakh, Zhinochyi Svit, Promin, and Ukrains’kyi Holos in Canada; Svoboda, Samostiina Ukraina, and Nashe Zhyttia in the United States; and Ukrains’ke Slovo in France. She wrote extensively on the Ukrainian women’s movement. Her books are also well known in Ukraine. Her major works include Na sluzhbi ridnoho narodu: iuvileinyi zbirnyk Orhanizatsii Ukrainok Kanady im. Ol’hy Basarab (Jubilee Collection of the UWOC) (1955), Ivan Franko ta rivnopravnist’ zhinky (Ivan Franko and Equal Rights for Women) (1956), Smoloskyp u temriavi (Torch in the Darkness) (1957), Patriotyzm Anny Ionker (The Patriotism of Anna Jonker) (1964), Zhinka vchora i s’ohodni (Collection of articles published in various Ukrainian newspapers) (1964), Nezabutnia Ol’ha Basarab (Unforgettable Olha Basarab) (1976), and Try rovesnytsi, 1860-1960 (Three Ukrainian Contemporaries) (1966).

Irena Knysh was one of the first Ukrainian-Canadian women to be included in the Ukrainian Literary Encyclopaedia (Kyiv, 1990). She visited Ukraine in 1970 and her book, Vich-na-vich iz Ukrainoiu (1970), was a reflection of her journey. After Ukrainian independence in 1991, she was elected a member of the Ukrainian Women’s Alliance in Lviv, Ukraine (2005) and in her honour a scientific conference took place on June 4, 2005. Irene Knysh passed away on May 11, 2006.

Knysh, George D.

  • knysh_g
  • Person
  • 1940-

George Dmytro Knysh, a retired associate professor in the Department of Political Studies at the University of Manitoba, is the son of the prominent Ukrainian political and community activist and author, Zynovii Knysh (1906-1999), and Irena Knysh (1909-2000), a journalist and the author of many books on the Ukrainian women's movement. He was born on October 8, 1940 in Cracow, Poland and received his Canadian citizenship in 1955. George Knysh graduated from the University of Manitoba with a B.A. in Latin Philosophy (1959) and an M.A. (1962) in Political Science. In 1968, he obtained a Ph.D. from the London School of Economics for his dissertation “Political Authority as Property and Trusteeship in the Works of William of Ockham”. He is a recipient of the Snider Memorial Fellowship (1962) and the Canada Council Fellowship (1970-1971). His articles and reviews on Ockham have appeared in Franciscan Studies, The Catholic Historical Review, Speculum: A Journal of Medieval Studies and other scholarly journals.

George Knysh is well known for his booklet Combat Correspondence: Selected Epistolary Confrontations on the Question of Ukrainian Identity published in Winnipeg in 1971. He has also published scholarly articles and brief monographs on Ukrainian Christianity and Ukraine in Mediaeval times, including “Eastern Slavs and the Christian Millennium of 1988” (1987); “The Methodian roots of mediaeval Ukrainian Christianity” (1989); “Rus’ and Ukraine in Mediaeval times” (1991); “Taiemnytsia pochatkovoi Rusy v Kyievi” (1991); and an edited version of Leonid Bilets’kyi’s “Rus'ka Pravda i istoriia ii tekstu” (1993). Most of these titles were published by the Ukrainian Free Academy of Sciences (UVAN) in Winnipeg.
By publishing the book U 90-littia Zynoviia Knysha (1996), he honoured his father's Ukrainian patriotism. His book Michael Sherbinin in Winnipeg: a preliminary study (1994) paid tribute to the well-known philanthropist, scholar, and theologian. George Knysh has also written many articles for various Ukrainian newspapers and publications of the Ukrainian Historical Association.

As a historian and political analyst, he is a member of many academic institutions including the Canadian Political Science Association, the Mediaeval Academy of America, and the New York Academy of Science. Dr. George Knysh is fluent in many languages including Ukrainian, French, Polish, Russian, and Latin. He is currently working on Irena Knysh's correspondence regarding her numerous publications.

Klymasz, Robert Bohdan

  • klymasz_rb
  • Person
  • 1936-

Dr. Robert Bohdan Klymasz was born in Toronto, Ontario in 1936. In 1957, he obtained a B.A. from the University of Toronto, and later studied at the University of Manitoba (M.A., 1960), Harvard University (1960-1962), Charles University, Prague (1962), and Indiana University in Bloomington (Ph.D., 1971). His doctoral dissertation “Ukrainian Folklore in Canada: an Immigrant Complex in Transition” was supervised by Richard M. Dorson. He married Shirley Zaporzan in 1963, and they had two daughters, Andrea and Lara. In 1967, he joined the Canadian Museum of Civilization and served as its first programme director for Slavic and East European Studies. Throughout his career, he has held several prestigious positions, including the executive director of the Ukrainian Cultural and Educational Centre (Oseredok) in Winnipeg, visiting associate professor in Folklore at Memorial University's Department of Folklore, visiting professor in Folklore and Slavic Studies at the University of California at Los Angeles, and visiting scholar at Harvard Divinity School.

In 1993, as a curator with the Museum of Civilization, Dr. Klymasz began a comprehensive study on community life in Gimli, Manitoba. Fieldwork on this project began in 1993 and continued on an annual basis every summer until the summer of 2001. The project, which became known as the Gimli Community Research Project (G.C.R.P.), was meant to offer insight on what makes the Town of Gimli a safe and prosperous town in which to live. The early work was low-key in nature, focusing on the town's life and culture, for example, attending meetings of the town's council, various public forums, proceedings of the local public law court, and meetings of the Board for the New Iceland Heritage Museum. Gradually, the fieldwork shifted to monitoring phenomena that gave Gimli its "dreamtown" quality. The final report was completed in 2002 and was entitled ""Dream Town": Art and the Celebration of Place in Gimli, Manitoba."

Upon his retirement in 2000, he was named Curator Emeritus with the Canadian Museum of Civilization. Dr. Klymasz is a renowned expert on Ukrainian Canadian folklore, having extensively written, published, and lectured on this subject. His publications include An Introduction to the Ukrainian-Canadian Folksong Cycle (1970), Ukrainian Folklore in Canada (1980), 'Svieto': Celebrating Ukrainian-Canadian Ritual in East Central Alberta Through the Generations (1992), and The Icon in Canada (1996). Dr. Klymasz also published numerous articles in scholarly journals, and many reviews of books and exhibitions in Canada's Ukrainian and Icelandic ethnic press. He continues to pursue his recent interests with grants from the University of Alberta (CIUS) and the University of Manitoba (CUCS).

Dr. Klymasz was awarded the Marius-Barbeau Prize by the Folklore Studies Association of Canada (Laval University) for his studies in Ukrainian Canadian Folklore. In 2005, he completed the Archival Research Project on Walter Klymkiw, the conductor of Koshetz Choir, titled "Playing around with Choir": the Correspondence and Papers of Walter P. Klymkiw. The manuscript is held at the University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections. Between 2006 and 2012 he completed several archival research projects including “A priest, a maestro, a community: epistolary insights into the music culture of Winnipeg's Ukrainian community, 1936-1944” (2006-2007), “Winnipeg Papers on Ukrainian Music” (2008), “Nuggets from the past: quotations on the Ukrainian experience in Canada” (2007), “Winnipeg Papers on Ukrainian Book Culture” (2009), and “Winnipeg Papers No. 5 “Cossacks and Indians? Encounters, Abductions, Guilt, Ballads and Empathy on the Prairie and Beyond” (2012). The manuscripts are held at the University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections. In 2013 a Ukrainian translation of Klymasz's 1971 Indiana University PhD dissertation was published in Ukrainian, under the title, 'Ukrains'ka narodna kul'tura v kanads'kykh preriiakh' (Kyiv: Duliby, 2013).

Haas, Maara

  • haas_m
  • Person
  • 1920-2012

Maara Haas (née Lazeczko) was born in Winnipeg on Feb. 12, 1920. Her father, Michael Lazeczko was the first Ukrainian-Canadian pharmacist. At the age of fifteen she received an IODE Laura Secord award for her essay “Let No Man Call Me Foreigner.” After studying journalism at the University of California (Berkeley) in 1939, she spent two years as a reporter and literary reviewer in the United States before returning to Winnipeg. In 1947 she was awarded First Prize by the Manitoba Poets' Society for her poem The Prodigal. In 1959 she was awarded a certificate of achievement (hramota) by the Ukrainian Free Academy of Sciences (UVAN) in Winnipeg for her efforts to popularize and translate the poetry of Taras Shevchenko into English.

Haas had a varied career as a poet, writer, playwright, actress and creative writing teacher. She had a chap book of her early poetry entitled Viewpoint: Collected Poems published by Ryerson Press in 1952. Over the years her work appeared in The Canadian Review of Literature, The Indian Record, The Washington Post and The Canadian Dimension. In 1976 McGraw Hill Ryerson published her first novel The Street Where I Live about growing up in Winnipeg's ethnically diverse North End. That same year her stage play Otherworlds/ Other Faces was produced by the Winnipeg YMCA. In the 1980's Haas taught creative writing in local schools, on Cree and Salteaux reservations at Oxford House and Grand Marais, and in Bermuda. Her second book, On Stage with Maara Haas (Lilith, 1986) consisted of short stories and poems. Turnstone Press published Why Isn't Everybody Dancing in 1990. The book was about slavery in Bermuda and expressed Maara’s grief after the loss of her daughter.

Maara Haas died on August 29th 2012.

Gerus, W. Oleh

  • gerus_o
  • Person
  • 1939-

Dr. Oleh Walter Gerus was born on July 9, 1939 in Bludlow, Volhynia, in what was then, part of eastern Poland (present-day Svitanok, Ukraine), to parents, Reverend Serhij and Anna Gerus (Palianychka). From 1946 to 1950, he received his primary education in the Displaced Persons Camps in Munster Lager and Fallingbostel, in Northern Saxony, Germany. Upon immigrating to Canada with his parents, he completed his public school education in Vita and Winnipeg. He received his BA (1962 History and Slavic Studies) and MA (1964 History) from the University of Manitoba and his PhD from the University of Toronto (1970), under the supervision of Robert H. McNeal. He was awarded a doctoral fellowship to Lomonsov State University, Moscow (1966-67), where he studied with Piotr A. Zaionchkovsky. In 1967 Oleh Gerus lectured at the University of Manitoba and the following year he was appointed as an assistant professor at Brandon University. In 1969 he joined the University of Manitoba’s Department of History where he served for over 47 years. In 1996, he was promoted to full professor. He retired in 2016. Dr. Gerus is married to Yvonne (Bonnie) née Kowalchuk, and the couple have 3 children: Helene, Andrew and Roman.

Dr. Gerus‘s fields of specialization and teaching include: Ukrainian history, modern Russian history, Ukrainians in Canada, Ukrainian Orthodox Church history and the late Metropolitan Ilarion (Ivan Ohienko). His publications focus on the Ukrainian experience. The Canadian media has often called upon Dr. Gerus to provide commentary on the Ukrainian community in Canada, as well as on current events taking place in Eastern Europe and Russia, because of his knowledge and expertise of the history and politics of the region. His strong commitment to the university community has been reflected in: participating in the Centre for Ukrainian Canadian Studies, Policy Council; various committees within the Department of History, including the associate headship; and serving on the board of directors of St. Andrew's College and college committees of St. Paul’s College. Dr. Gerus’s contributions to the University of Manitoba have been recognized through various awards and accolades, which include: the University of Manitoba Outreach Award; the University of Manitoba Dr. & Mrs. Campbell Outreach Award; the Fr. Cecil Ryan, SJ, Rector’s Award (St. Paul’s College); and the bestowing on him the degree of Doctor of Canon Law (DCL) Honoris Causa (St. Andrew’s College). Always focused on the students, Dr. and Mrs. Gerus endowed a scholarship in European history for St. Paul's College students as well as a memorial bursary in the Faculty of Education.

Throughout his academic career Dr. Gerus has remained very active in the Ukrainian-Canadian community: first as a student leader in the Ukrainian Student’s Union of Canada; later as an executive member of the Ukrainian Academy of Arts and Sciences in Canada; as president of the Ukrainian Cultural and Educational Centre, Oseredok; and as a member of the boards of the Ukrainian Canadian Foundation of Taras Shevchenko and the Oseredok Foundation. Dr. Gerus accompanied the Oleksander Koshetz Choir of Winnipeg on its concert visits to Ukraine and to the Ukrainian diaspora in Europe and South America where he lectured on the Ukrainian Canadian experience. In the late 1980s, as Ukraine inched closer to independence, Dr. Gerus was involved in founding the Canadian Friends of Rukh, the popular movement for political and cultural reconstruction in Ukraine. He also assisted Ukraine’s academia, by working with and helping to develop a curriculum for the re-born University of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy, a historically important institution of learning. Following Ukraine's independence, Dr. Gerus was invited by the Ukrainian National Academy of Sciences in 1992 to participate in Ukraine's celebration of Ivan Ohienko's (Metropolitan Ilarion) 110th anniversary of his birth and his remarkable intellectual achievements.

In addition to numerous articles on Ukrainian Orthodox Church history and the history of Ukrainians in Canada, Dr. Gerus’s major publications include an edition of Dmytro Doroshenko’s A Survey of Ukrainian History (Winnipeg: Humeniuk Foundation, 1975), which he edited, updated and introduced, and (with Denys Hlynka) The Honourable Member for Vegreville: The memoirs and diary of Anthony Hlynka, MP (Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 2005).

Martynec Family

  • martynec_family
  • Family
  • 1899-2018

The Martynec family, although not entirely representative, was part of the post-World War II wave of Ukrainian refugees and displaced persons who settled in Canada.
Volodymyr Martynec (1899-1960) was born into a Ukrainian middle class family in the city of Lviv (then also formally known as Lemberg [in German] or Lwów [in Polish]), Crownland of Galicia, Austro-Hungarian Empire (now Ukraine). He was educated in the city’s primary and secondary schools and participated in the Ukrainian armed struggle for independence (1918-20) as a member of the (Ukrainian) Sich Riflemen. After the Great War he was active in the Ukrainian student movement while studying law at Lviv’s Ukrainian Underground University (1921-23), economics at the Higher Commercial School in Prague, Czechoslovakia (1923-26), political science and journalism in Berlin, Germany (1927-29), and philosophy at the Sorbonne, in Paris, France (1934-36). In 1927, he became one of the leaders of the underground Ukrainian Military Organization (UVO) and one of the founders of the militant and radical Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists (OUN). In subsequent years, he served as a member of the OUN Leadership (Provid) and as editor of some of its most important ideological journals, including Surma (The Bugle; 1927-33), Rozbudova natsii (Building the Nation; 1928-1934) and the Parisian Ukrains’ke slovo (The Ukrainian Word; 1934-40). In 1941, Martynec and his family returned to German-occupied eastern Galicia or western Ukraine where he became one of the leaders of the OUN Melnyk faction (OUN[m]). In 1944 the Germans incarcerated Martynec at the Brätz (Brójce) Work / Re-Education (Arbeitserziehungslager) camp in western Poland. After the war, Martynec and his family spent time in the Displaced Persons’ Camps in Karlsfeld (1945-46) and Berchtesgaden (1946-48), Germany. In January 1949, the family left Germany and settled in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, where Martynec became one of the editors of the weekly Novyi shliakh (New Pathway; 1949-60), the official organ of the Ukrainian National Federation, a Ukrainian-Canadian mass organization ideologically aligned with the OUN(m). He also served on the presidium of the Ukrainian Canadian Committee. The author of 18 books and pamphlets, in particular Ukrains’ke pidpillia: vid UVO do OUN (The Ukrainian Underground: From the UVO to the OUN; 1949), and over 4,000 periodical and newspaper articles, Martynec died in Winnipeg in 1960.

Around 1930 Martynec married Irena Turkevycz (1899-1983), the daughter of a Ukrainian Greek Catholic priest, catechist, choir conductor, and music critic. Born in the town of Brody, she grew up and was educated in Lviv and in Vienna. Her education included music lessons (voice, piano, theory) from a very early age, and featured private instruction by the composer Stanyslav Liudkevych. During the 1920s Irena studied music and acting at the Lviv Conservatory and drama school, made her debut as a concert soloist, and also performed on the stage of the Lviv Theatre of Opera and Ballet. During the early 1930s she studied voice at the Berlin University of the Arts, and in Prague, where she sang with the Prague Opera. Between 1942 and 1944, when the family resided in Lviv, she sang a number of major roles with the Lviv Theatre of Opera and Ballet. She continued to participate actively in Ukrainian opera and theatre productions in Karlsfeld, Karlsbad and Berchtesgaden, Germany, during the immediate post-war years. After emigrating to Canada in 1949, Irena Turkevycz-Martynec was particularly active with youth and children’s groups, staging and directing very successful and memorable productions of Mykola Lysenko’s children’s operetta Koza-Dereza (in the early 1950s and then again in 1964), and Zymova kralia (The Snow Queen) in 1965. In 1967, her troupe of youthful singers performed Koza-Dereza at Expo 67. She passed away in Winnipeg in 1983.

Lew Martynec (1934-2018), the only child of Volodymyr Martynec and Irena Turkevycz-Martynec, was born in Paris, France, where he spent the first seven years of his life and started his primary education. He accompanied his parents when they returned to western Ukraine in 1941 and spent his teenage years in the Displaced Person’s camps in Karlsfeld and Berchtesgaden, Germany. He completed his high school education in Winnipeg and studied engineering at the University of Manitoba (but apparently did not graduate). He worked for the City of St. Boniface and the City of Winnipeg as a department manager responsible for approving street construction plans. An avid outdoorsman, he passed away in 2018.
Stephania Luchynska-Pohorecky (“Doda”) (1923-2015), an only child and an orphan, was the niece of Irena Turkevycz-Martynec. She joined the Martynec family in Lviv around 1943 and stayed with the family as they migrated from western Ukraine to the Displaced Person’s camps in Karlsfeld and Berchtesgaden, Germany, and then on to Winnipeg. In Winnipeg she met and later married Zenon Pohorecky (the son of “Novyi shliakh/New Pathway” founder and co-editor Michael Pohorecky), an anthropologist who completed his PhD at the University of California (Berkeley) and taught for many years at the University of Saskatchewan.

The fonds also contain several photographs of Stefania Turkewicz-Lukianowicz (1898-1977), older sister of Irena Turkevycz-Martynec, a composer, pianist and musicologist, educated in Lviv and Prague, who immigrated to the United Kingdom after WWII.

Zaplitny, Frederick Samuel

  • zaplitny_fs
  • Person
  • 1913-1964

Frederick Samuel Zaplitny was born at Oak Brae, Manitoba in 1913 and raised in Dauphin. He operated an insurance and real estate agency in Dauphin and served as President of the Dauphin Chamber of Commerce. He was elected to the House of Commons as a member of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (CCF) party in 1945, 1953, and again in 1957. He was defeated in the federal elections of 1949, 1958 and 1962. Zaplitny served with the Canadian delegation to the United Nations in New York in 1957. He passed away on 19 March, 1964.

Yanchyshyn, Anne

  • yanchyshyn_a
  • Person

Anne Yanchyshyn was born and raised in Meleb, Manitoba. After attending Normal School in Winnipeg, she taught in several rural schools in Silver, Gilbert Plains, Lyleton, and Whytewold Beach. She moved to St. Vital in 1959 and graduated from the University of Manitoba in 1968 with a BA degree in Geography, English, and Philosophy. Yanchyshyn taught in Varennes School for 24 years and after her early retirement she took Oral History workshops at the Provincial Archives. Using this training, Yanchyshyn edited the book MPC Flashbacks: a commemorative local history celebrating the 90th anniversary of the arrival of settlers in the Meleb-Park-Cumming School District Area. In this book, she documented the local history of the Ukrainian, Polish, as well as German and Jewish pioneers in the Interlake area. She traveled many miles to conduct interviews and recorded the oral histories on eight audiotapes which she donated to Archives & Special Collections, University of Manitoba in 2005.

Wsiaki, Bill

  • wsiaki_b
  • Person
  • 1955-

Bill Wsiaki was born in Wynyard, Saskatchewan in 1955. In 1973, he began his employment with the University of Manitoba Libraries. He served as the Circulation Supervisor and ultimately as Library Supervisor at the Father Harold Drake Library, St. Paul’s College. In addition to being employed at the University of Manitoba, he contributed news reports, human interest stories, and features and photos to numerous Canadian magazines and newspapers from 1979 to 1989. In 1984, he was one of the official photographers for the Manitoba Papal visit of Pope John Paul II. In 1989, he began WPW Video Productions. From 1989 to 2001, he produced television documentaries and educational video series. During this period, he received four international and three national awards for video production. Two of his documentaries were reviewed in the American national audio and video publication called Videomaker. Some of his works are archived at the National Archives in Ottawa and at Yad Vashem in Jerusalem. Topics of his video productions include Catholic religious issues, Ukrainian history and culture, and aboriginal marriage preparation. From 1995 to 1999, he was the Winnipeg producer for KONTAKT, the Ukrainian culture and news program produced in Toronto.

Wawrykow, Mary

  • wawrykow_m
  • Person
  • 1911-1977

Mary A. Wawrykow, a prominent judge and community leader in Winnipeg, was the first woman of Ukrainian origin to practice law in Canada, and only the second woman in Manitoba to do so. She was born in Wakaw, Saskatchewan in 1911. Her parents, Mykyta and Anna Zakus, had emigrated from Ukraine (then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire) and settled on the Canadian prairies. Wawrykow graduated from the University of Manitoba Faculty of Law in 1934. In her student years, she was President of the Ukrainian Students Club, Prometheus. She married Daniel G. Wawrykow and started practicing law in Gimli, Manitoba in 1940. Prior to that, from 1936 to 1940, she was employed in the Attorney General's Department. In 1942, the couple moved to Winnipeg. Wawrykow became a prominent figure in Winnipeg’s law community. In 1955, she became President of the Women Lawyers Association of Manitoba and was named “Woman of the Year” by the Winnipeg Tribune. In 1959, she ran for the Progressive Conservative Party of Manitoba in the provincial constituency of Inkster. She was left to support three children, Marianne, Donna, and Dennis, when her husband passed away in 1960.

She was a dedicated professional who, in 1965, was appointed Queen’s Counsel. For her achievements, she received the Community Service Award of the City of Winnipeg. The Roblin government appointed her a part-time judge of the Winnipeg juvenile and family court in 1968 and, in 1975, Wawrykow was appointed as judge responsible for the Provincial Judges’ Court of Winnipeg (North). She was very active in many Ukrainian Canadian organizations: the Ukrainian Catholic Women’s League, the Ukrainian Benevolent Association of St. Nicholas Mutual, the Business and Professional Women’s Club of Winnipeg, and St. Joseph’s Ukrainian Catholic Parish. In 1971, she received the Taras Shevchenko Medal during the 10th Congress of Ukrainian Canadians in Winnipeg. Mary Wawrykow received many honors and tributes during her lifetime. In 1976, the Council of Christians and Jews recognized her work in human relations by giving her its Human Relations and Brotherhood Award. Mary A. Wawrykow passed away on April 15, 1977.

Ukrainian Reading Association “Chytal’nia Prosvita”

  • cprosvita
  • Corporate body
  • 1903-

The Ukrainian Reading Association “Chytal’nia Prosvita” was founded in 1903 by the members of the St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic church parish in Winnipeg. The goal of the association is to promote and foster the Ukrainian culture (language, history, geography) through the education of ordinary people. The movement of the enlightenment society “Prosvita” started in the city of Lviv, Crownland of Galicia, Austro-Hungarian Empire (now western Ukraine) in 1868. The first Ukrainians coming to Canada who were members of the mother organization in Ukraine brought this idea with them to Winnipeg. They first held meetings at the St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Church and later at SS. Vladimir and Olga Cathedral and opened their Ukrainian heritage school, “Ridna Shkola”, in 1918.

In 1919 the members of the “Chytal’nia Prosvita,” which had rented various locales since 1903, discussed the possibility of purchasing their own building. (In January 1919 rioting unemployed war veterans had sacked and destroyed the association’s quarters at Dufferin and Parr because they perceived its members as “enemy alien” Austro-Hungarians.) Eight members of the association loaned their own money to purchase a lot at 667 Flora Avenue. The newly constructed building officially opened on October 9, 1921 and was blessed by Metropolitan Andrei Sheptyckyj, who was touring North America. A list of donors who contributed to the Ukrainian Reading Association’s building was hung on the wall in the new building.

With the new building, new organizations came into being such as the Benevolent Association of “Chytal’na Prosvita” - the Mutual Aid Society (1927); the Women’s Organization of Maria Markovych (1931); and the “Plast” youth organization (1930). In addition to the above mentioned organizations, many other groups and institutions used the building for their own activities during the years that ensued: the Society of Volyn and Research Institute of Volyn, the Ukrainian National Federation, the North Winnipeg Credit Union, and various musical and theatrical groups. “Chytal’nia Prosvita” also had a large library it was used by the Ukrainian community of the North End.

The Ukrainian Reading Association “Chytal’nia Prosvita” housed various cultural events, debates, lectures, concerts, amateur theatre and dance performances. Many prominent Ukrainian artists and scholars visited “Chytal’nia Prosvita such as E. Turula (composer), K. Andrysyshyn (educator), V. Avramenko (choreographer), O. Koshetz (director of choir) and many others who performed at the “Chytal’na Prosvita”.

In 1982 a big fire destroyed most of the building and although costly repairs kept it going for a while, it deteriorated to the point that the members of the “Chytal’nia Prosvita” decided to sell the building. The Ukrainian Reading Association’s building finally closed the doors on May 31, 2001. The Chytal’nia Prosvita’s executive board relocated to the North Winnipeg Credit Union, and their funds were transferred into a Designated Fund in the Shevchenko Foundation. The Ukrainian heritage school “Ridna shkola” operated out of Andrew Mynarski School. It had 10 grades and opened its doors to students every Sunday. A large number of books from the Ukrainian Reading Association were sent to Ukraine and the rest were deposited into the University of Manitoba Slavic Collection.

The “Chytal’nia Prosvita’s” building provided a gathering place and support to many Ukrainian immigrants who came to Winnipeg to start their new lives. It promoted Ukrainian language and culture, provided educational and social services, strengthened national consciousness, and also educated the general public about Ukraine and its people. It fit perfectly into the multicultural mosaic of Winnipeg and played a major role in Ukrainian-Canadian history. The success of the “Chytal’nia Prosvita" is a testimony to the many hard working individuals who, over the years, contributed to the promotion of Ukrainian education in Canada.

Ukrainian Professional and Business Club of Winnipeg

  • CA UMASC Mss 403 (A12-126)
  • Corporate body
  • 1943-

The Ukrainian Professional and Business Club of Winnipeg was formed in the fall of 1943. A small group of Ukrainian Canadian professional men recognized a need for an organization which would play an important role in the cultural and social life of Ukrainians in Winnipeg. The first executive committee (W. Kushnir, V.F. Bachynski, J. Kereluk, V.H. Koman, P. Korman, A. Malofie, J.W. Semeniuk, M. Stechishin, W. Swystun) was formed on November 4, 1943, and elected their first President, Dr. B. Duma. The first official title of the Club was the Ukrainian Professional and Business Men's Club of Winnipeg which later changed its name to the Ukrainian Professional and Business Club of Winnipeg in order to reflect the Ukrainian professional women's membership (1980's)

The Ukrainian Professional and Business Club of Winnipeg inspired the formation of other similar clubs across Canada, and the formation of the Ukrainian Canadian Professional and Business Federation in 1963. The Federation maintains the high standards of the Ukrainian cultural activities and promotes Ukrainian community projects across Canada.
The Ukrainian Professional and Business Foundation is a registered charity to recognize the charitable activities of the Ukrainian Professional and Business Club of Winnipeg. It supports many educational projects and institutions (Department of Slavic Studies, University of Manitoba, St Andrew's College, University of Manitoba, City of Winnipeg High Schools, Ukrainian War Veterans, and many other Ukrainian cultural organizations).

The most important objectives of the Ukrainian Professional and Business Club of Winnipeg have been the consolidation and streamlining of Ukrainian organizations; the promotion of better communication; the implementation of the Manitoba Government's officially declared Manitoba Multiculturalism Act (1992); and the preservation of Ukrainian cultural heritage.

Stambrook, Fred

  • stambrook_f
  • Person
  • 1929-2005

Dr. Frederick George Stambrook was a longtime serving faculty member of the Department of History, University of Manitoba. He was born Frederick Sternberg in Vienna, Austria on November 16, 1929. Following the untimely death of his mother (Edith, 1932) and while his father (Karl) managed various industrial concerns, he was raised by his maternal grandparents (Weiss) in Vienna, and subsequently exiled to Prague in 1939. He became part of the Kindertransport which allowed him to seek safety in England from the Nazi regime. Having been sent alone to England to the care of his eventual stepmother Mimi, he was later reunited there with his father. He was evacuated from London in 1940 to the town of Lincolnshire (Willoughby), where he attended the local village school, learned English, and won a scholarship to Alford Grammar School. He spent youthful summers with his parents and stepbrother (Peter) and performed his post-war military service as an Education Officer, Royal Air Force (1950-1952). Having attained academic success, he was awarded scholarships at Oxford, St. Catherine's College (B.A. Hons-History) and the London School of Economics (B.Sc. Hons-Economics, PhD). While completing a PhD in International History in London, Dr. Stambrook worked in the British Foreign Office on the translation of captured German Foreign Office war documents at Whaddon Hall (Bucks).

His first academic appointment was as Lecturer in History at Sydney University (Australia). This was followed in 1968 by being appointed Assistant Professor of History at the University of Manitoba. It would be at the University of Manitoba where he would spend his academic career as an historian. His research interest in inter-war European diplomacy soon became secondary to his increasing administrative roles at the University of Manitoba where he served as Head of the German Department (1976-1977), Associate, Dean of Arts (1975-1977), Dean of Arts (1977-1982) and Vice-President, Academic (1982-1991). Following his administrative retirement, Dr. Stambrook was asked to fill-in as interim departmental head of Political Studies (1995-1997) and Native Studies (1998-1999). In May 2004, he was recognized as Dean Emeritus of the University of Manitoba. Later in his career, he and his wife, Dr. Stella Hryniuk, began doing extensive research on the immigrant experience to Canada, and the multicultural diversity of Hapsburg-Galicia. Much of his later research focused on the Ukrainian province of Bukovyna (Bukovina).

Besides being an academic, he loved sports. As a university student in England, he played cricket, rugby and football (soccer). His passion for soccer and his administrative talent were soon combined in his founding role with the Manitoba Minor Soccer Association. This led to his long-term contributions as President, Canadian Youth Soccer Association (1975-1979), President, Manitoba Soccer Association (1980-1986), and President, Canadian Soccer Association (1986-1992). His lifelong commitment to soccer was recognized with a Life Membership, Canadian Soccer Association (1999), Life Membership, Manitoba Soccer Association (2002), and induction as sports-builder into the Manitoba Jewish Sports Hall of Fame (1999) and Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame (2003). In April 2006 Fred Stambrook was inducted as a Builder into the Canadian Soccer Hall of Fame. Some of his many achievements in sports were the championing of rural soccer in Manitoba, and of women's soccer in Canada, Host-President for the FIFA U-17 World Cup (Toronto, 1982), Chair of FIFA, Appeals Committees for soccer at the Los Angeles Olympics (1984) and World Cup (1994), involvement in Winnipeg Pan-Am Games bid (1999), and Chef de Mission for numerous traveling Canadian National Soccer Teams. He loved and supported the arts: ballet, opera and theatre, especially the Prairie Theatre Exchange. He also served as a Board Member of the Jewish Heritage Centre.

Dr. Stambrook passed away on July 15, 2005.

Smigel, Anne

  • smigel_a
  • Person
  • ?- 2008

Anne Smigel was born and raised in Winnipeg, Manitoba. She attended the University of Manitoba (B.A., B.Ed.), the University of Winnipeg, and the University of Minnesota. As a teacher and educator she taught in elementary and junior high schools in Manitoba for more than 44 years. Anne Smigel was a member of the Ukrainian Curriculum Committee on Ukrainian language at elementary and secondary school and the first woman of Ukrainian decent to become a Principal (Ashland School, Pinkham School, William Whyte School) in Winnipeg.

She belonged to many organizations such as the Alpha Omega Alumnae, the Council of Women of Winnipeg, the Manitoba Association of Principals, the Canadian College of Teachers, and the United Nations, Winnipeg Branch. Anna Smigel was a founding member of Altrusa Club of Winnipeg and Altrusa International Club. Altrusa is an international organization of professional women (13 countries) who are serving the needs of their communities. From 1980-1982, she served as the Governor of Altrusa International, District 7.
Anne Smigel was an educator and philanthropist who made great contributions to the University of Manitoba. In 2004 she received an Honorary Doctor of Laws degree from the University of Manitoba. To honour her memory a Scholarship was established in her name at the Centre for Ukrainian Canadian Studies and a Research Endowment Fund was created to support the acquisition of research material for the University Libraries. Anne Smigel died on February 10, 2008.

Shkandrij, Myroslav

  • shkandrij_m
  • Person
  • 1950 -

Dr. Myroslav Shkandrij was a Professor in the Department of German and Slavic Studies, University of Manitoba. He was born on March 17, 1950, in Leeds, England. Dr. Shkandrij studied at Cambridge University (B.A.,1972) and the University of Toronto, where he studied with George Luckyj and received an M.A. (1973) and a Ph.D. (1980). He taught at the Universities of Calgary and Ottawa during the 1980s. Between 1977 and 1987, he was on the editorial board of Diyaloh, a journal of the young generation of Ukrainians in the West, and he was active in the Ukrainian Canadian University Students Union (SUSK). The journal was published three times per year. The Ukrainian Student Group smuggled issues of their publication to Ukraine during the Cold War. During those years, Dr. Shkandrij served on the Committee in Defense of Soviet Political Prisoners and many other Ukrainian institutions and organizations in Canada (CIUS, KUK).

In 2001, Dr. Shkandrij organized the first North American exhibition devoted to the Ukrainian Avant-Garde art, “Phenomenon of the Ukrainian Avant-Garde”. It covered the period from the 1910’s through 1930’s. As a curator for the Winnipeg Art Gallery and in cooperation with the National Art Museum of Ukraine, he introduced to Winnipeg the Ukrainian Avant-Garde art hidden during the Stalinist years. Artists such as David Burliuk, Mykhailo Boichuk, Kazimir Malevich, Alexander Archipenko and others represented modern trends in art such as Cubism, Futurism or Constructivism. Dr. Shkandrij researched the life and art of David Burliuk and organized another exhibit for the Winnipeg Art Gallery in 2008 - “Futurism and After: David Burliuk, 1882-1967”.

Dr. Shkandrij is the author of more than 50 journal articles and book chapters and 6 major monographs: Modernists, Marxists and the Nation: The Ukrainian Literary Discussion of the 1920s (Edmonton: CIUS Press, University of Alberta, 1992); Russia and Ukraine: Literature and the Discourse of Empire From Napoleonic to Postcolonial Times (McGill-Queen's UP, 2001); Jews in Ukrainian Literature: Representation and Identity (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2009); Ukrainian Nationalism: Politics, Ideology and Literature, 1929-1956 (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2015); Avant-garde Art in Ukraine: Contested Memory, 1910-1930 (Boston: Academic Studies Press, 2019); and Revolutionary Ukraine, 1917-2017: Flashpoints in History and Contemporary Memory Wars (New York: Routledge, 2019). He has also translated several books from Ukrainian into English and edited or co-edited 6 volumes.

Dr. Shkandrij is a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies and the Canadian Association of Slavists. He taught in the Department of German and Slavic Studies at the University of Manitoba from 1987until 2019, and served as Head or Acting Head of the Department from 1990 to 2009. In 2010, he received the Faculty of Arts Professor of the Year award. Upon his retirement in 2019, he was named Professor Emeritus.

Rudnyc'kyj, J.B.

  • rudnyc'kyj_j
  • Person
  • 1910-1995

Jaroslav Bohdan Rudnyc'kyj was born to Ukrainian parents on November 28, 1910 in Przemyśl (Peremyshl') Austro-Hungarian Empire (now Poland). Rudnyckyj graduated with a Ph.D. from the University of Lviv in 1937, specializing in Slavic philology and the onomastics (geographical place names) of eastern Europe. To continue these and other studies abroad, he left his homeland in 1937, staying for short periods in Berlin, Munich, Rome, and Paris before lecturing in Slavic philology at the Ukrainian Free University, at Charles University in Prague, and at the University of Heidelberg. In 1949, shortly after his immigration to Canada, he was appointed Chairman of the new Department of Slavic Studies at the University of Manitoba, a position he held until 1976. He was also a co-founder of the Canadian branch of the Ukrainian Free Academy of Sciences (UVAN) in Winnipeg, serving as its president (1955-1970).

From 1963 to 1971, Rudnyckyj was a member of the Canadian Royal Commission on Bilingualism and Biculturalism where he promoted the idea of a multilingual Canada. Rudnyc'kyj not only published widely and extensively but was also instrumental in developing a major Slavic collection for the University of Manitoba Libraries. He was interested in the philologies and literatures of East European languages, in the Slavic experience in Canada, and in the origin of place names. Rudnyc'kyj's publications consist of hundreds of articles and reviews, etymological dictionaries, translations, travel diaries, and onomastic studies. Rudnyc'kyj died in Montreal, Quebec on October 19, 1995.

Rozumna, Oksana

  • rozumna_o
  • Person
  • 1938-

Oksana Rozumna’s name is closely associated with many Ukrainian cultural and educational organizations. She was born in Sudbury, Ontario in 1938 where she attended elementary and secondary schools. Oksana moved to Winnipeg and earned her BA (Psychology) in 1961. During her student years she organized radio-programs, music concerts, exhibitions and participated in many dance and theater groups. Upon graduating from the University of Manitoba, she became a member of the Alpha Omega Ukrainian Women’s Alumnae, and served on the recital committee providing publicity for the organization in the Ukrainian newspapers. She became Vice-President in 1982 and served as a representative of the organization to the Ukrainian Canadian Congress. Oksana was also a member of Holodomor Committee, Plast (Ukrainian Youth Organization), a secretary for the Civil Liberties Commission (1980’s), and a secretary of Canadian Friends of the National University of Kyiv – Mohyla Academy. She is married to Dr. Jaroslav Rozumnyj, former head of the Slavic Collection, University of Manitoba. During his active years she provided research and secretarial assistance to him and accompanied him on many trips to Ukraine. She serves as a translator for Ukrainian delegations and organizes the Commemorations for the Chornobyl tragedy, Ukraine’s Independence, and the Holodomor.

Radchuk, Leona

  • radchuck_l
  • Person
  • 1948-

Leona Radchuk (née Kosjar) was born in Vynnytsia Oblast, UkrainianSSR in 1931 and arrived with her parents in Canada in 1948. She attended King Edward Junior High School and Isaac Newton High School. After high school, she attended the University of Manitoba, where she obtained Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Pedagogy, Bachelor of Education, and Master’s of Education degrees. After finishing her university studies, she taught high school for 20 years, then changed careers and became a business manager for the next 18 years.
Ms. Radchuk was and remains active in several community associations. She was a Winnipeg school trustee, Girl Guide Commissioner, St. Andrew’s College (University of Manitoba) Board member and Chairperson, Seven Oaks Hospital Foundation Board member, Ukrainian Women’s Association of Canada member, founding member of Winnipeg’s Ukrainian dance group Rozmai (formerly the SUMK dancers – Soiuz ukrains'koi molodi Kanady), and a long-time member of Alpha Omega Alumnae (an association of Ukrainian Women Graduates of the University of Manitoba).

Ms. Radchuk is married to attorney, Dr. Serge Radchuk, and they have two daughters, Julie and Natalie.

Muchin, J. S.

  • muchin_js
  • Person
  • 1920-2013

John Serge Muchin was born on November 25, 1920 in Odesa, Ukraine during the Civil War. He graduated from the Pervomaisk Pedagogic Institute (1939) in Mykolaiv Oblast, UkrainianSSR and from the Moscow Artillery College (1941). In Canada, he completed a B.L.S. at the University of Ottawa (1962) and an M.A. in Slavic Studies at the University of Manitoba (1972). John Muchin received his Canadian citizenship in 1956. He returned to Winnipeg in 1963 and became a librarian for the J. Richardson & Sons firm. One year later in 1964, he became the Slavic Librarian and cataloguer at the University of Manitoba, replacing Otto Bruer (1962-1964). As a Slavic Librarian and Slavic cataloguer, he increased collection volume from 5000 in 1964 to 56,000 in 1990. In 1968, he became Head of the Special Collections Department at the University of Manitoba and held that post until 1990. His biggest contribution to the Slavic Collection was compiling a card catalogue of all Ukrainian books published in Canada. His Canadiana catalogue is held in University of Manitoba Archives and Special Collections. John Muchin published two books: “Za viru bat’kiv: Uniiaty v khudozhnikh tvorakh V.G. Korolenka” (1976) and “Slavic Collection of the University of Manitoba” (1970). He was a member of the Ukrainian Free Academy of Sciences (UVAN), the Manitoba Library Association, and the Ukrainian Cultural and Educational Centre. John Muchin passed away on June 19, 2013 in King City, Ontario.

Muchin, Halyna

  • CA UMASC Mss 365 (A.11-76)
  • Person
  • 1930-2016

Halyna Muchin (nee Ianchyk) was born on April 11, 1930 in Kolky Volhynia, in what was then part of eastern Poland (now Ukraine). Her family came to Canada after the Second World War. She graduated from the University of Manitoba with a B.A. (1978) and an M.A. (1980). Halyna was awarded the Izaak Walton Killam Pre-doctoral Scholarship in 1980, 1981, and 1982 and further pursued her education by completing her Ph.D. in Slavic Studies at the University of Alberta (1987). Halyna worked as a journalist for the “Canadian Farmer” (Kanadiis’kyi farmer) (1957-1963); the “New Pathway” (Novyi shliakh) (1963-64, 1966); and the “Ukrainian Voice” (Ukrains’kyi holos). She also co-edited a collection published by the First World Congress of Free Ukrainians entitled “Violation of Human Rights in Ukraine: documents” (1970). Halyna Muchin’s scholarly publications included articles in Suchasnist’ and her dissertations on Ukrainian Literature: “The Evolution of the Ukrainian Family and its Portrayal in Illia Kyriiak’s Novel Sons of the Soil” (MA, 1978) and “Populism and Modernism in Ukrainian Literature, 1860 – 1920” (PhD, 1987). She also co-authored (with Orysia Tracz) 50 years of service to the Ukrainian community: Carpathia Credit Union (1990). She belonged to many Ukrainian organizations such as the Ukrainian Women’s Association of Canada, and the Ukrainian Canadian Congress (KUK). Halyna Muchin also served as director of the Ukrainian Cultural and Educational Centre (Oseredok) in the early 1970s. She was married to John Muchin. Halyna Muchin passed away on March 13, 2016 in Newmarket, Ontario.

Results 1 to 30 of 1566