Affichage de 1579 résultats

fichier d'autorité

Zurba, Betty

  • zurba_b
  • Personne
  • 1938-

Betty Johnson was born in Lena, Manitoba in 1938. After living briefly in Saskatchewan in the early 1950s, she married Earl Zurba, a bus driver in Sifton, Manitoba, in 1956. In 2002, they were living on a farm in Sifton. She is the grand-daughter of Edith Johnson.

Zubek, John

  • zubek_j
  • Personne
  • 1925-1974

John P. Zubek was born in Trnovec, Czechoslovakia on 10 March 1925. He immigrated to Canada at the age of five with his parents. After his early education in Grand Forks, British Columbia. Zubek completed his Psychology in 1946 graduating with first class honours from the University of British Columbia. In 1948 he received a Masters in Social Psychology from the University of Toronto. From 1948-1950 Zubek was an instructor in Psychology at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore from where he received his Ph.D. in 1950 graduating Phi Betta Kappa.

Zubek then joined the Psychology Department at McGill University in the fall of 1950. During his three years at McGill as assistant professor, Zubek published eight articles on such widely divergent topics as the cerebral cortex and locomotor activity in rats to a genetic of Doukhobors' attitudes.

In 1953 Zubek joined the faculty of the University of Manitoba as a full professor and chairman of the Department of Psychology, a post he held for the next eight years. In 1954 he and P.A. Solberg coauthored the book Human Development (New York: McGraw-Hill, 1954) an advanced textbook treating the development and decline, throughout the lifespan, of the nervous system, glands, physical structure, senses, learning and thinking processes, emotions, beliefs, attitudes and personality. The following year he authored the Laboratory Manual in Introductory Psychology, a textbook consisting of 25 student-oriented experiments. He also published fifteen articles. In 1959 he added Directorship of the Sensory Deprivation Laboratory to his workload.

Dr. Zubek did not limit his activities to the University of Manitoba. He served two terms as a member of the Associate Committee on Experimental Psychology for the National Research Council of Canada from 1955 to 1961. He also served two terms, from 1958 to 1964 as a member of the Human Resources Scientific Advisory Committee for the Defense Research Board of Canada. Zubek was a member of Directors of the Canadian Psychological Association from 1956 to 1958.

In 1961 Dr. Zubek turned his attention solely to research. His new position as Research Professor reduced his teaching load to only one class. In the next thirteen years he wrote or edited four more books. One of them, Sensory Deprivation: Fifteen Years of Research (New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1969), consists of chapters written by eight of the leading investigators in the field. The book gives some 1,300 references to articles in journals and government technical reports, many of which were published in foreign languages. Zubek also published another 50 articles during this period, many of which were published in foreign journals.

Zubek and his associates received prestigious research grants to further their work. The National Research Council provided six years of funding (1968-1974) at $13,200 per annum for research on the effects of prolonged sensory deprivation. The same funding body provided a development grant of $110,000 in 1968 to establish a centre for research in sensory deprivation at the University of Manitoba. Furthermore, from 1959 to 1974 the Defence Research Board provided operating grants of $15,000-$21,000 for additional sensory deprivation research. Between 1964-1967 Zubek received $100,000 from the United States Public Health Service.

Dr. Zubek was made a Fellow of the Canadian Psychological Association in 1967. He was the recipient of the Clifford J. Robson Distinguished Psychologist in Manitoba Award bestowed by the Manitoba Psychological Society in 1973. The same year, Manitoba's research in sensory deprivation was listed among the 30 major achievements in Canadian science and technology.

Dr. Zubek died suddenly on 22 August 22 1974 at the age of 49. His academic legacy includes six books and over eighty articles. He helped to establish two awards for academic excellence. The John J. Zubek Award, named for his father, has been presented to younger staff members at the University of Manitoba for excellence in research and scholarship. The purpose of the award is to accord public recognition and provide encouragement to younger professors who show promise of gaining prominence in their fields. Zubek was also responsible for establishing the Clifford J. Robson Award in the memory of his friend Dr. Robson from the Department of Psychology at the University of Winnipeg. The award is for teaching excellence at the University of Winnipeg.

Zaplitny, Frederick Samuel

  • zaplitny_fs
  • Personne
  • 1913-1964

Frederick Samuel Zaplitny was born at Oak Brae, Manitoba in 1913 and raised in Dauphin. He operated an insurance and real estate agency in Dauphin and served as President of the Dauphin Chamber of Commerce. He was elected to the House of Commons as a member of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (CCF) party in 1945, 1953, and again in 1957. He was defeated in the federal elections of 1949, 1958 and 1962. Zaplitny served with the Canadian delegation to the United Nations in New York in 1957. He passed away on 19 March, 1964.

Yuzyk, John

  • yuzyk_j
  • Personne
  • 1913-2003

John Yuzyk was born on April 19, 1913 in Rhein, Saskatchewan. He grew up in a Ukrainian pioneer family. His father Dmytro Yuzyk came to Canada at the age of fifteen from Kopychyntsi, Husiatyn county, Crownland of Galicia, Austro-Hungarian Empire (now Ukraine) and settled on a farm in Kamsack, Saskatchewan. John studied music and received a diploma from the London College of Music in 1940. He recorded two albums (1960) and his songs were played on ethnic radio stations. In Regina, he worked for Saskatchewan Civil Service in the Assessment Branch.

During the Second World War, he served overseas with the Royal Canadian Air Force (R.C.A.F.) as an aircraft mechanic. There, he joined other Canadian Ukrainian personnel and together they formed the Ukrainian Canadian Servicemen’s Association (UCSA). In 1959, he was appointed a Pilot Officer of the R.C.A.F. He retired as a Primary Reserve Officer in 1966 with a rank of a Flight Lieutenant, but was changed to the rank of Captain in 1968. After his honorable discharge from the military, John Yuzyk dedicated his life to Ukrainian veterans organizations in Canada. He was a longtime member of the Ukrainian Canadian Veterans Branch #141, Royal Canadian Legion and also president of the Ukrainian Canadian Veterans Association of Canada (UCVA; 1971-1974).

In Winnipeg, he worked in real estate for 35 years and retired in 1986. John Yuzyk was an active member of many Ukrainian organizations and received many awards and recognitions from the Government of Manitoba and the Ukrainian community. He passed away in Winnipeg on October 21, 2003.

Yurkiwsky, Michael

  • yurkiwsky_m
  • Personne
  • 1916-1983

Michael (Mykhailo) Yurkiwsky was born in Yellow Creek, Saskatchewan on 28 December 1916 to parents who had emigrated from western Ukraine (then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire). He received his elementary education in Meacham and his secondary education in Hafford, Saskatchewan, graduating in 1934. One of his high school teachers was Elias Shklanka (Illia Shklianka), a graduate of the University of Saskatchewan and the University of Chicago, and the author of several Ukrainian-language readers and grammar textbooks. After several years of work on his father’s farm, Yurkiwsky, who suffered from spinal ailments, moved to Ontario in 1939, finding factory employment in Preston, Galt and Toronto. On 8 August 1942, shortly before moving from Preston to Toronto, Yurkiwsky married Stephania Stefin. The couple would raise three children: Stephan, Dennis, and Orasia. In 1943-1944 Yurkiwsky received pastoral training as an external student of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada (UGOCC) seminary (located in Winnipeg) and was ordained into that Church’s priesthood on 8 October 1944. For the next 25 years Yurkiwsky served as pastor of UGOCC parishes/congregations in Hamilton, Waterford, Grimsby and Preston, Ontario (1944-1945); in the environs of Winnipeg, where he also served as secretary of the UGOCC’s Consistory (1945-1948); in Fort Frances, Rainy River, and Atikokan, Ontario (1948-1951); in Fort William and West Fort William (currently Thunder Bay), Ontario (1951-1954); in Winnipeg again, where he served as pastor of the Holy Trinity Cathedral (1954-1965); and finally, in Edmonton, Alberta, where he was pastor of St. Andrew’s church (1965-1969).

In the summer of 1969 Yurkiwsky applied for a short-term leave from his pastoral duties in order to continue his education. In 1971, having majored in History and Religious Studies, he earned a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree with Distinction from the University of Alberta, and was awarded a Bachelor of Divinity (B.D.) degree, on the basis of his previous pastoral studies and his recently completed university studies, by the UGOCC’s St. Andrew’s College in Winnipeg. In 1973, after pursuing his interests in Biblical Studies, the History of Christianity, and Philosophy at McGill University’s Department of Religious Studies, Yurkiwsky earned a Master of Arts (M.A.) in Religious Studies from that university. In the fall of 1973 he was appointed to the Faculty of Theology at St. Andrew’s College in Winnipeg, where he taught courses on Church History, Biblical History, Old and New Testament, Ethics, Liturgics and Dogmatics until the summer of 1982. In 1974-75 he served as assistant principal and from 1976 through 1978 as principal of St. Andrew’s College. On several occasions he also lectured on Eastern Christianity in the University of Manitoba’s Department of Religious Studies. In September 1982 Yurkiwsky resigned from the Faculty of Theology at St. Andrew’s College because, having reached the age of 65, he was asked to accept a part-time appointment at a lower salary. Less than one year later, on 29 August 1983, Yurkiwsky died. Funeral services were held at Winnipeg’s Holy Trinity Cathedral and he was buried in the Orthodox section of Glen Eden Cemetery.

Young, David Patrick

  • young_p
  • Personne
  • 1936-1994

Spiritualist medium David Patrick Young was born in Killiney, Ireland on February 28th or 29th, 1936. In the 1950s he trained as an accountant, and worked for firms in London and Reading throughout the late 1950s and 1960s. During this time, the clairvoyant and clairaudient experiences he had had since his youth became more pronounced, and he joined the Greater World Christian Spiritualist League, headed by Mrs. Ella Sheridan, who became his mentor. Through the Greater World, he eventually held a diploma which accredited him as a medium for that organization and certified his eligibility to work on the church platform.
From the 1970s, David was affiliated with the Spiritualist Association of Great Britain and gave private consultations at its offices in Belgrave Square, London, and in 1971, he was giving demonstrations and consultations fulltime. He began touring as a medium, and first visited Canada in 1972 as a guest of the Vancouver Psychic Society, finally emigrating there with his partner, Gwyn Davis, in 1977. He participated in a variety of radio and television shows as a clairvoyant, including call-in shows, a weekly spot on the CKVU Vancouver Show and an hour-long David Young Special.

In the late 1970s, he was ordained as a minister of the International Spiritualist Alliance (ISA), and in 1981, David Young, Gwyn Lewis, and Reverend Mary Cecilia Hietanen founded the Spiritualist Church of Universal Brotherhood in New Westminster, British Columbia, where David was a minister and platform medium. In 1985, David and Gwyn founded the First Spiritualist Church of North Vancouver, but it was disbanded upon their return to England in early 1987. His ordination was recognized by the Christian Spiritualist Society, and he continued to work as a medium and demonstrator in the UK. In 1994, he was diagnosed with lung cancer, and passed on 24 September of that year.

"You Can't Beat Fun"

  • youcantbeatfun
  • Collectivité
  • 1940-2002

The musical “You Can’t Beat Fun” was originally conceived and musically written by 19-year-old pianist Sam Seetner in 1939, a 2nd year Science student at the University of Manitoba, with the help of two of his friends Earl J. Beattie (book), and Edward Parker (stage conception). Seetner and Beattie wrote the lyrics. The production was staged by over 40 University of Manitoba music students (including future game show host “Monty Hall”) on January 11th -13th, & 15th, 1940 at the Winnipeg Civic Auditorium. The story follows the love lives of four college freshmen who enter a university beset by cut backs and reduced to four faculties: Love, Rhythm, Home Economics and "Hotcha."

In 2002 the production was revived to celebrate the 125th anniversary of the University of Manitoba. It played February 20 - 22, 2002 at the Walker Theatre.

Yereniuk, Roman

  • yereniuk_r
  • Personne

Roman Yereniuk was an Associate Professor at St. Andrew’s College and a Sessional Lecturer with the Centre for Ukrainian Canadian Studies, the Department of Religion, and the Department of German and Slavic Studies, at the University of Manitoba. He taught courses on the History of Eastern Christianity and the experience of Ukrainian Canadians. Yereniuk was born in Salzburg, Austria in 1946 and immigrated to Edmonton, Alberta, with his parents and siblings in 1949. He received his primary and secondary education in Edmonton. A graduate of the University of Manitoba (B.A., 1970), Yereniuk also earned an M.Div. in Theology (St. Andrew's College, 1970), an M.A. in Religious Studies (McGill University, 1972), and a Licentiate (1978) and Doctorate (1988) in Eastern Christian History from the Oriental Institute in Rome.

At St. Andrew’s College he was employed as Lecturer and Dean of Residence (1972-1975), Assistant Professor and Dean of Students (1980-1988), Principal and Associate Professor (1988-1998), Associate Professor (1998-2008), and Associate Professor and Acting Director of the Centre for Ukrainian Canadian Studies (2008-2016). He served as a sessional lecturer in the Departments of Religion, Slavic Studies and the Centre for Ukrainian Canadian Studies on numerous occasions from the early 1970s through the 2010s.

In addition to numerous popular and scholarly articles, Yereniuk co-authored (with Basil Rotoff and Stella Hryniuk) “Monuments to Faith: Ukrainian Churches in Manitoba” (Winnipeg: University of Manitoba Press, 1990), and he published two works on the Ukrainian Orthodox Church: a pamphlet entitled “A short historical outline of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada (UOCC)” (Winnipeg: Ecclesia Publishing, 2008) and a monograph “Ukrains’ka pravoslavna tserkva: vybrani istorychni narysy z XVII-XVIII st. i z Ukrains’koi kanads’koi diiaspory” (Lviv: Litopys, 2010). He also served as editor of “Vira i kul’tura” (Faith and Culture) an irregular scholarly journal published by St. Andrew’s College.

Yereniuk was also active in civic and federal politics. On two occasions, he was elected and served as a school trustee with the Winnipeg School Division (1989-1995, 1998-2006). In 1993-1994 he was the Regional Director of the Manitoba Association of School Trustees. During the 1997 and 2000 federal election campaigns Yereniuk ran unsuccessfully as a New Democratic Party candidate in the Winnipeg—St. Paul constituency.

In 2019 Yereniuk was awarded a Ukrainian Canadian Leadership Award of Excellence by the Ukrainian Canadian Congress.

Yanchyshyn, Anne

  • yanchyshyn_a
  • Personne

Anne Yanchyshyn was born and raised in Meleb, Manitoba. After attending Normal School in Winnipeg, she taught in several rural schools in Silver, Gilbert Plains, Lyleton, and Whytewold Beach. She moved to St. Vital in 1959 and graduated from the University of Manitoba in 1968 with a BA degree in Geography, English, and Philosophy. Yanchyshyn taught in Varennes School for 24 years and after her early retirement she took Oral History workshops at the Provincial Archives. Using this training, Yanchyshyn edited the book MPC Flashbacks: a commemorative local history celebrating the 90th anniversary of the arrival of settlers in the Meleb-Park-Cumming School District Area. In this book, she documented the local history of the Ukrainian, Polish, as well as German and Jewish pioneers in the Interlake area. She traveled many miles to conduct interviews and recorded the oral histories on eight audiotapes which she donated to Archives & Special Collections, University of Manitoba in 2005.

Wylie, Betty Jane

  • wylie_bj
  • Personne
  • 1931-

Betty Jane Wylie (nee McKenty) is a prolific playwright and author. She was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1931. She attended the University of Manitoba where she earned a B.A. (Hons.) in French and English in 1951. She completed an M.A. in English in 1952, majoring in 20th century poetry, with minors in Anglo-Saxon and Old Norse. Soon after graduation in 1952, Wylie married William Tennant (Bill) Wylie, with whom she eventually had four children. For the first part of their marriage, the Wylies resided in Winnipeg where Bill Wylie was manager of the Manitoba Theatre Centre. They then moved from Winnipeg to Stratford, Ontario in 1968, where Bill Wylie served as administrative director of the Stratford Festival Theatre until his death in 1973. While married, and raising her four children, Wylie found some time to write poetry and plays, but Bill Wylie's unexpected death in 1973 caused her to take up writing as a career.

While coming to terms with her husband's death, Wylie wrote Beginnings: A Book for Widows (1977), which went through several editions, and has been published in six countries. Since then, Wylie has published books of various types such as children's books, cookbooks, self-help, and other non-fiction books. Over three dozen of her plays have been produced. During the 1989-1990 academic year, Wylie had a fellowship at the Bunting Institute, now part of Harvard University. She was one of only a handful of Canadians ever accepted as a fellow. At the Bunting Institute, Wylie began work on her book about women's diaries, Reading Between the Lines, by taking a Harvard seminar for fourteen invited participants on diaries. Her Bunting symposium took the form of a play about Alice James, performed twice unofficially in Boston and in Cambridge, and published by Playwright's Press as "A Native of the James Family".

Wylie has also been involved in radio and television productions, including a television movie called Coming of Age that aired on TMN (1994) and Global (1995), and won two Gemini Awards. She won the University of Manitoba Alumni Association's Alumni Jubilee Award in 1989. In 2003 she was the recipient of a D. Litt from the University of Manitoba and was named a member of the Order of Canada.

Wsiaki, Bill

  • wsiaki_b
  • Personne
  • 1955-

Bill Wsiaki was born in Wynyard, Saskatchewan in 1955. In 1973, he began his employment with the University of Manitoba Libraries. He served as the Circulation Supervisor and ultimately as Library Supervisor at the Father Harold Drake Library, St. Paul’s College. In addition to being employed at the University of Manitoba, he contributed news reports, human interest stories, and features and photos to numerous Canadian magazines and newspapers from 1979 to 1989. In 1984, he was one of the official photographers for the Manitoba Papal visit of Pope John Paul II. In 1989, he began WPW Video Productions. From 1989 to 2001, he produced television documentaries and educational video series. During this period, he received four international and three national awards for video production. Two of his documentaries were reviewed in the American national audio and video publication called Videomaker. Some of his works are archived at the National Archives in Ottawa and at Yad Vashem in Jerusalem. Topics of his video productions include Catholic religious issues, Ukrainian history and culture, and aboriginal marriage preparation. From 1995 to 1999, he was the Winnipeg producer for KONTAKT, the Ukrainian culture and news program produced in Toronto.

Western Region Canadian Association of University Schools of Nursing

  • wrcausn
  • Collectivité
  • 1969-

WRCAUSN was founded in 1969 to provide a forum for the concerns of nursing educators in the four western provinces (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and British Columbia). WRCAUSN is one of the regional branches of the Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing (CASN), but unlike CASN it allows both institutional and individual members. Annual meetings are hosted by an institutional member and the organization is governed by an elected executive (president, vice-president, secretary-treasurer, and members-at-large).

Royal Commission on Manitoba Pool Elevators Limited

  • wprc
  • Collectivité
  • 1931

In 1931, a provincial Royal Commission inquired into charges against Manitoba Pool Elevators Ltd. The Commissioner was E. K. Williams. The charges were set out in a letter written by James R. Murray to John Bracken, Premier of Manitoba, on March 10, 1931.

Winnipeg Public Library

  • wpl
  • Collectivité
  • 1905-

The first public library in Winnipeg, located at 380 William Avenue, opened in 1905. Since then the library system has expanded to 20 branches throughout Winnipeg, providing programming for children, youth, and adults.

Wolfart, H. Christoph

  • wolfart
  • Personne
  • 1943-

H.C. Wolfart (Ph.D, Yale University, 1969) is a professor in the Department of Linguistics at the University of Manitoba and, with D.H. Pentland, is an organizer and editor of the Papers of the Algonquian Conference. They are instrumental in developing Algonquian Linguistics Studies at the University of Manitoba. Together they published the Bibliography of Algonquian Linguistics (1974, 1982) based on Philling's Bibliography of Algonquian Languages (1891). They have also written numerous articles and papers for academic journals and conferences.

Winnipeg Jets

  • wj_programs
  • Collectivité
  • 1972-1996

The Winnipeg Jets programs were donated by Ken Turner who was a season ticket holder and attended nearly all of the Winnipeg Jets home games, collecting 741 home game programs. Ken Turner is an exemplar of the fan devotion to the Jets from their inception in the early 1970s to long after their move to Phoenix.

From 1972 to 1996, the Winnipeg Jets were a professional ice hockey team based in Winnipeg, Manitoba. The Jets were first established as a charter franchise of the World Hockey Association in 1972 and continued to play in the WHA until its merger with the National Hockey League in 1979. The Winnipeg Jets were the most successful team of the WHA and made it to the finals five out of the WHA’s seven seasons, and won the Avco World Trophy three times (1975-76, 1977-78, and 1978-79). In their first season the Jets signed National Hockey League star forward Bobby Hull to a record 2.75 million dollar ten year contract. The Jets were the first North American team to seriously recruit players from Europe whose style had previously been viewed as inappropriate for North American ice hockey. Swedish defenceman Lars-Erik Sjoberg served as the team’s captain for four seasons, and was widely considered the best defenceman of the WHA. Swedish forwards Anders Hedberg and Ulf Nilsson along with Hull formed “the Hot Line,” the most famous and successful forward line in the WHA. In the last season of the WHA the Jets won the Avco World Trophy against the Edmonton Oilers and their star player Wayne Gretzky.

The World Hockey Association folded in 1979 and the Jets, and three other WHA teams, joined the NHL and played their first game on October 10, 1979 against the Pittsburg Penguins. After a dreadful first season, the Jets signed their future lead scorer Dale Hawerchuk in August 1981 where he led them to their first of eleven appearances in the Playoffs. Hawerchuk would play for the Jets until 1990, and he along with Hull, and defenceman Serge Savard, who played for the Jets for the last two seasons of his career after seventeen seasons with the NHL’s Montreal Canadiens, would enter the Hockey Hall of Fame located in Toronto, Ontario. Thomas Steen debuted in the 1981-82 season and played for fourteen seasons as a Jet, accumulating 950 games, the most in the history of the Jets. His number, along with Hull’s, were the only numbers retired by the franchise. Despite solid regular-season success the Jets had no success in the playoffs, because, perhaps, of the structuring of the NHL. In order to advance to the Conference Finals the Jets had to beat, sometimes both, the Edmonton Oilers and the Calgary Flames who were, by many accounts, considered the two best teams in the NHL for most of the 1980s.

As the NHL expanded in the United States operating costs and salaries grew rapidly, and the Jets faced difficult financial circumstances due both to the differences in the Canadian and American exchange rate, and Winnipeg’s status, as of 1996, as the NHL’s smallest market. After facing financial difficulties throughout the 1990s, and despite avid fan support, on April 28, 1996 the Jets played their last NHL game in Winnipeg, a playoff loss against the Detroit Red Wings, before the franchise was sold to Phoenix, Arizona where it was renamed the Phoenix Coyotes. Nostalgia and fan support for the Winnipeg Jets continued long after the team left the city, and in May 2011 it was announced by True North Sports and Entertainment that the NHL was returning to Winnipeg with the purchase of the Atlanta Thrashers franchise.

Winnipeg Commodity Clearing Ltd.

  • winnipegcc
  • Collectivité
  • 1901-1999

The Winnipeg Commodity Clearing Ltd. was a commodity futures clearing business. It was incorporated in June 1901 under the Corporations Act of the Province of Manitoba as the Winnipeg Grain and Produce Clearing Association. Its sole purpose upon inception was to clear trades effected through the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange. It began doing so in February 1904. In later years, the WCCL cleared Commodity Futures and Options transactions for the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange. This function included ensuring that every trade had an appropriate counter-party, paying and collecting funds as a result of trading, and arranging for the delivery or exercise of items traded.

The Winnipeg Commodity Clearing Ltd. was a member-owned company consisting of numerous shareholders. Only good standing members of the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange could become shareholders. The WCCL was governed by the Canadian Grain Commission, as well as by a Board of Directors, all of whom were representatives of clearing members or clearing members themselves with the exception of one who was an outside director. Board members were elected by shareholders on an annual basis.

In August 1998, the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange ended its nearly century-long association with the Winnipeg Commodity Clearing Ltd. when it announced that their new clearing provider would be the Canadian Derivatives Clearing Corporation (CDCC). The Winnipeg Commodity Clearing Ltd. dissolved and ceased operations on July 31, 1999.

Wilmot, Laurence Frank

  • wilmot_l
  • Personne
  • 1907-2003

LAURENCE FRANK WILMOT, B.A. & L.Th. (Man.), M.C., B.D. (Man.), D.D. (Hon. Causa, Trinity), M.A. (Man.), D. Phil. (Oxon), D.D. (Hon. Causa, Man.), M.A. (Man.)

Laurence Frank Wilmot was born on a farm seven miles northwest of Clanwilliam and 10-12 miles north of Minnedosa, Manitoba in the Crocus Hill School District on April 27, 1907. His mother, Fannie Charlotte Campbell, was born in a Belfast hotel while his father, Thomas Herbert Wilmot, grew up at the edge of the Sherewood Forest and later named his Manitoba farm in honour of his Nottinghamshire birthplace. Thomas came from England to Clanwilliam, MB in 1895. Laurence attended Crocus Hill elementary school (a three-mile walk from his uncle's home, where he lived). Wilmot subsequently attended the Bethany Consolidated School, from which he graduated in 1925. He trapped and hunting in order to earn money for school fees and personal expenses.

In the fall of 1925 Wilmot enrolled at the University of Manitoba. He spent one year in the pre-engineering program but half-way through his first year Wilmot made the decision to enter the minister. He transferred to St. John's College and changed his major to Arts and Theology. In this first year of theological training the Diocese of Brandon sent him on a summer placement in 1926 which involved being responsible for four parishes. His remuneration was $40 per month; travel was by horse and buggy. By the summer of 1930 Wilmot had a brief change of work; he wanted to work outside for health reasons and found himself on a CPR survey crew.

He was active in sports. During his early theological training, Wilmot was pitcher for the Grosse Isle baseball team, played soccer for a city church league, played rugby, basketball and football for St. John's and University of Manitoba. At St. John's College, he was a member of the Students' Council. He graduated from St. John's in 1931 with a Bachelor of Arts and a Licentiate in Theology.

Wilmot was ordained as a deacon in 1931 and served the next 11 years in rural missionary fields of Manitoba. For the first four years, during the heart of the Great Depression, Rev. Wilmot served a six-point charge in the Pembina Hills area of southwestern Manitoba at the parishes of Pilot Mound, Crystal City, Clearwater and La Riviere.

1932 was a momentous year. Wilmot was ordained priest by the Bishop of Brandon and that August was married at St. Alban's, Winnipeg, to Edith Louise Hope Littlewood (born June 10, 1905 at Newburg, ON), a Winnipeg teacher, whom he had first met in Deloraine where she was teaching and he was replacement minister. Their first child, Laurence Sidney Herbert was born in June 1933. Young Laurie was joined in succeeding years by two sisters, Frances Mary Louise in October 1934 and Hope Fairfield in February 1940.

After four years in Pilot Mound, Rev. Wilmot was appointed Rector and Rural Dean of Swan River and Chaplain of St. Faith's Mission, an Anglican mission at The Pas in 1935 (with this appointment, he became responsible for 35 congregations). In 1939 he was named Travelling Priest in the Northern missions of the Diocese of Brandon. The Hudson's Bay railway was part of Rev. Wilmot's field. He held this post until his 1942 enlistment in the Canadian Army as a chaplain. Earlier, during his St. John's College student days, Rev. Wilmot had earned both his lieutenant's and captain's designations in the Canadian Officers In Training Corps. Following the outbreak of the Second World War, he volunteered to become a military chaplain but was not called into service until two years later.

After serving in military camps in Canada and Great Britain Rev. Wilmot spent the last two years of the war in Italy and North West Europe with the West Nova Scotia Regiment. He provided spiritual counsel and conducted church services and other religious ceremonies for the men in his regiment, many of whom would not survive the bitter struggle to advance up the Italian peninsula against an entrenched and determined foe.

Rev. Wilmot himself was often exposed to enemy fire and on at least one occasion he narrowly escaped with his life when a German shell exploded over a spot that he had just vacated seconds before. During one episode he was shot at, the bullet entering one side of his helmet and exiting the other. His organization and personal leadership of the evacuation of wounded soldiers from a minefield at the Foglio River Crossing (on Italy's Adriatic coast) on 31 August 1944 resulted in his being awarded the Military Cross.

When the war in Europe ended Rev. Wilmot was transferred to Canada en route to a posting in the Pacific Theatre. The sudden Japanese surrender allowed him to remain in his home country until he received his discharge in November 1945. In later years he served as militia chaplain to the Winnipeg Grenadiers. A special honour came in 1953 when he was named Protestant chaplain to the Army section of the Canadian Armed Forces contingent attending the coronation of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and received the Coronation Medal.

After his discharge Rev. Wilmot spent the next 16 years in Winnipeg, licensed by the Bishop of Rupert's Land. He taught English and history for the Department of Education in a Veterans' Vocational School in Winnipeg which was established to prepare veterans for university entrance. In 1945 he began a Master of Arts degree in the philosophy of religion and metaphysics. In 1946 he accepted an appointment as Central Western Field Secretary for the Anglican General Board of Religious Education and, in preparation for his new assignment, attended the fall semester at Yale Divinity School where he took several religious education courses. In 1948 Rev. Wilmot received from St. John's College the Bachelor of Divinity he had begun in 1937.

Rev. Wilmot served as a Field Secretary until 1949 when his increasing frustration over what he termed the "domineering policies at the head office" caused him to resign. In his correspondence he accused his superiors of placing undue restrictions on his activities and ignoring the reports and recommendations that he and the other field secretaries had been submitting. He was particularly upset when an ambitious attempt to start up the Knights of the Cross, a proposed lay order designed to encourage men to become more involved in Church leadership, was summarily halted after a promising beginning.

After his resignation as field secretary Wilmot served for a year as Rector of St. Mary Magdalene Church in St. Vital. His term at St. Mary Magdalene happened to coincide with the disastrous 1950 flood and most of his summer was spent helping parishioners cope with the task of repairing damaged homes and replacing lost possessions.

On November 1, 1950 Rev. Wilmot was installed as Warden and Vice-Chancellor of his alma mater, St. John's College, as well as Honorary Canon of the Diocese of Rupert's Land and Archbishop's Examining Chaplain. At the time of Rev. Canon Wilmot's installation the College's future was not promising; financial difficulties and a declining enrolment at its downtown campus had forced it to cut numerous programs. During Rev. Canon Wilmot's eleven years as warden, St. John's experienced a dramatic reversal in fortune that culminated in 1958 with the move to a new set of buildings on the Fort Garry campus of the University of Manitoba. One of his colleagues would later say that Wilmot had transformed the college "from a feeble, spiritless vestige at the point of death, into a thriving community of students and academics." In 1958 he was awarded an honorary Doctor of Divinity from Trinity College, University of Toronto.

At the end of the 1959 school year Rev. Canon Wilmot was able to announce that the size of St. John's faculty was greater than what the total enrolment had been when he first assumed his office nine years before. During his time as Warden of St. John's he also lectured there in philosophy and theology. Rev. Canon Wilmot spent the summer of 1960 studying philosophy at Harvard University.

Unfortunately, Rev. Canon Wilmot's years at St. John's were also marked by difficulties with the Church hierarchy. In his second year as warden he submitted his resignation, citing the Chancellor's wilful lack of co-operation as the reason. This resignation was suddenly withdrawn after an apparent reconciliation between the two parties was reached. Rev. Canon Wilmot continued to face what his colleague would later describe as "discouragement, episcopal opposition and downright malevolence" from the archbishop and church council. Finally, after a series of stormy meetings in the spring and summer of 1960 he announced his resignation in October, saying that it would be "in the best interests of the college". Despite the widespread support of the faculty and the student body he stepped down at the end of the 1960-61 academic year.

After his resignation Rev. Canon Wilmot went to England where he researched and studied contemporary philosophy and Patristic Theology (concentrating on Fourth Century church fathers) for two years at Keble College, Oxford. Rev. Canon Wilmot had in 1953 completed course work for a Master of Arts in Philosophy but the demands of administrative duties at St. John's forced him to postpone the thesis. He wrote his thesis at Oxford and finally received the M.A. in 1963 from the University of Manitoba. His thesis was entitled "The Idea of God in the Most Recent British Philosophy: An Enquiry into the Possibility of Significant Theological Discourse Today".

In 1963 he also was appointed Teaching Fellow and Sub-Warden of St. Augustine's College in Canterbury, the central college of the Anglican communion. Rev. Canon Wilmot lectured in Historical Theology and conducted seminars in contemporary theology to classes consisting of Anglican clergy from around the world. Also in 1963, he was greatly moved when Oxford University conferred upon him an Honorary Doctor of Philosophy.

In 1965 Rev. Canon Wilmot was named Acting Warden of St. Augustine's and served in that capacity until June 1967 when the college was closed as a result of a decision by the Anglican Consultative Committee.

He then accepted an invitation to become a Pastoral Theological Fellow and enter the clinical pastoral education program at St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital in Houston, Texas. There he spent a year acquiring clinical pastoral experience and training. In 1968 Rev. Canon Wilmot moved to Washington, D.C. to train as a resident in the chaplain's department under Dr. Ernest Bruder at St. Elizabeth's, a large federally-operated psychiatric hospital. That year Rev. Canon Wilmot was the recipient of another Doctor of Divinity (honoris causa), this one from St. John's College.

In the summer of 1969 Rev. Canon Wilmot took a supervisory course in clinical pastoral education at Toronto's Queen Street Mental Health Centre. He received his clinical pastoral supervisor certification and in August of that year was appointed Protestant Chaplain and teaching supervisor of Whitby Psychiatric Hospital, east of Toronto. Rev. Canon Wilmot remained at Whitby until 1972 when he reached the mandatory age for retirement. During his stay at Whitby he conducted numerous training seminars and workshops on clinical pastoral education and took an active interest in training clergy to deal more effectively with patients in mental health institutions.

In 1972 Rev. Canon Wilmot returned to Winnipeg and accepted the posts of Coordinator for Continuing Education for the clergy of the Anglican diocese of Rupert's Land and Director of Field Education for seminarians at St. John's College. After an 11-year absence, Laurence and Hope Wilmot appreciated the return to their home on University Crescent. He also made time to work two days per week as chaplain at Victoria Hospital, as well as acting as priest-in-charge of St. John the Baptist Parish (later Life Honorary Assistant to the rector at St. Paul's, Fort Garry and assistant priest-in-charge at St. Helen's Mission, Winnipeg). In 1975 he was elected Chairman of the Manitoba Region of the Canadian Association for Pastoral Education and has served a three-year term on the Board of Directors of the University of Manitoba's Alumni Association.

Rev. Canon Wilmot officially retired in 1976 in order to devote more time to a book based on his post-graduate study of the later writings of the British process philosopher and theologian Alfred North Whitehead. The completed manuscript, Whitehead and God: Prolegomena to Theological Reconstruction , was published in 1979 by Wilfrid Laurier University Press.

Rev. Canon Wilmot returned to school and in 1979 at the age of 72 was awarded a Master of Arts in history from the University of Manitoba. He titled his thesis "The Christian Churches of the Red River Settlement and the Foundation of the University of Manitoba: An Historical Analysis of the Process of Transition from Frontier College to Provincial University". An essay written during this period, "Alexander Morris and the Creation of the Office of Premier: An Historical Analysis of the Evolution of Responsible Government in Manitoba," received the Margaret McWilliams Medal from the Manitoba Historical Society in 1978. St. John's College continued to honour its former warden. Rev. Canon Wilmot was made an Honorary Fellow in 1980 and Warden Emeritus in 1990.

Rev. Canon Wilmot maintained an active life throughout the 1980s and 1990s. Apart from his research and writing on early Manitoba history he devoted a considerable amount of time to issues concerning the elderly. He was a member of the 1980-81 Diocese of Rupert's Land Task Force on Ministries To and With the Elderly and in 1981 he participated in the Anglican Church Project on Elders and Ministry. Rev. Canon Wilmot also became heavily involved with Creative Retirement Manitoba, serving on its board of directors and personnel committee until 1992 and helping to organize lectures and seminars on a variety of topics.

Rev. Canon Wilmot's experience as a member of both the board of directors and the advisory committee of the Society of Self-Help, Inc. in the late 1980s was not so positive. The SOS, a non-profit organization dedicated to helping outpatients from mental institutions integrate themselves into the community, was plagued by incompetent (and possibly corrupt) management. A series of financial setbacks had, by 1990, left SOS near death and Rev. Canon Wilmot was obliged to take on the desperate task of reviving it. His efforts to stave off bankruptcy were apparently not appreciated by some of the other officers (possibly friends of the former director) and in August 1990 he was effectively forced out as the Society's coordinator.

Hope Wilmot died in July 1986 after a long struggle with heart disease and was buried at St. John's Cathedral Cemetery. After eight years as a widower, Rev. Canon Wilmot remarried in St. John's College Chapel 21 January 1995 to a widow, Grace Nunn. He was in his 88th year at the time of his remarriage, a fact that was duly reported in the media. To celebrate his 90th birthday in 1997, Laurence and Grace Nunn Wilmot enjoyed an extensive tour of Greece.

At over 90, Rev. Canon Wilmot remained active moderating church conferences, attending meetings, writing scholarly theological works, his autobiography and collecting his papers for archiving.

He died on December 13, 2003 and was buried in St. John’s Cemetery.

Williams, Richard E.

  • williams_r
  • Personne
  • 1921-2013

Richard E. Williams was Director for the School of Art at the University of Manitoba and an artist. Williams was born in Dormont, Pennsylvania in September, 1921. He received a B.A. in Sculpture from the Carnegie Institute of Technology (now Carnegie-Mellon University) in 1943 and completed a M.F.A. in Printmaking from the State University of Iowa in 1954 (during this time, he also served as an aircraft electrician in the Army Air Force for three years). In the fall of 1954, Williams accepted the position of Director for the School of Art at the University of Manitoba—a position he held until 1973. While at the University, he taught printmaking, drawing, design and lectured in art history.

During his career at the University of Manitoba, Williams was involved in various art organizations. He was a founding member of the Universities Art Association of Canada (UAAC) in 1957, a member of the UAAC Executive from 1967-1977, and served as President of the organization from 1970-75. He also served on the Board of Governors at the Winnipeg Art Gallery from 1956-1977 and was the regional representative for the Western Canadian Art Circuit. During the 1950s and 1960s, Williams was largely responsible for initiating the nationally-recognized “Winnipeg Shows” exhibitions.

Williams made many contributions as a member of the community of artists in Manitoba and has been recognized for several collections and works. He was commissioned for several local projects, including: the 1959 Concrete Sculpture for Polo Park; a stainless steel wall relief for the Investor’s Syndicate Building (1959), and an official portrait of former Manitoba premier Howard Pawley (1991). His work is owned by several organizations, including: the Winnipeg Art Gallery, the Museum of Modern Art (New York), the Harvey Gaul Memorial (Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh), and Des Moines Art Centre (Iowa).

After stepping down from his position as Director of the School of Art in 1973, Williams continued to teach at the University of Manitoba until his retirement in 1987. In 1990, he received the honorary title of Director Emeritus at the University of Manitoba. During his retirement, Williams continued his work as an artist, and completed several collections, including “The Naked Block Party” series in 1997 as well as several works depicting the Annunciation. An exhibition of his work was held at the University of Manitoba's Gallery One One One in September 2005.

Richard Williams died in Winnipeg on December 17, 2013.

Wiebe, Rudy

  • wiebe_r
  • Personne
  • 1934-

Rudy Wiebe, is a Canadian Mennonite writer and former member of the Board of Directors for NeWest Press. Wiebe was born on October 4, 1934 in Speedwell, Saskatchewan. He received his BA (1956) from the University of Alberta and Bachelor of Theology degree from the Mennonite Brethren Bible College in Winnipeg (1962). While an editor of the Winnipeg Mennonite Brethren College Herald, he published his first novel Peace Shall Destroy Many. In 1967 he began teaching creative writing at the University of Alberta. He has published numerous articles, reviews, essays, anthologies, film and television scripts. Wiebe's novels include: First and Vital Candle (1966); Temptations of Big Bear (1973); and A Discovery of Strangers (1994). For his literary work, he received two Governor General Awards (1973, 1994) and the Order of Canada (2000). In 2007, Wiebe received the Charles Taylor Prize for his memoir of childhood titled: Of This Earth: A Mennonite Boyhood in the Boreal Forest.

During 1985-1997, Rudy Wiebe served on the Board of Directors for NeWest Publishing Company. He was a president and a chairman from 1991-1997. NeWest Press is one of the most important literary presses in Canada.

Werier, Val

  • werier_v
  • Personne
  • 1917-2014

Val Werier was born in Winnipeg on June 29, 1917. He graduated from St.John's High School and then attended Manitoba Junior College to obtain the equivalent of first year university. He held a number of jobs while working as a freelance writer, having published in the Winnipeg Tribune as early as 1939. He was hired as a Tribune reporter in 1941. He joined the RCAF in 1942 and trained as a navigator. He completed a tour of operations with the RAF Bomber Squadron 626 achieving the rank of Flying Officer. Werier returned to the Tribune upon his discharge. He covered every major beat and was made City Editor in 1955. In 1961 he was appointed News Editor and was promoted to Associate Editor the following year. With the folding of the Winnipeg Tribune in 1980, Werier moved to the Winnipeg Free Press. Werier's life long devotion to heritage & environmental issues has enabled him to foment change through his writings. He continues to write the occasional column in a journalistic career that spans nearly 75 years.

Werier has been the recipient of a myriad of awards. In 1979 he was presented the Heritage Canada National Communications Award. In 1986 he received the Environment Canada National Heritage Award. He was named to the Order of Canada in 1998 and became an Order of Manitoba recipient in 2004. Werier has been appointed to several Commissions. He was member of the provincial Fact Finding Committee on Legal Aid in 1970. He was Commissioner of the Manitoba Law Reform Commission from 1971-1979. He was a Member of the Board of the Canadian Housing Design Council in 1978-1982. He was a member of the program committee, Manitoba Museum of Man & Nature. He was a member of the Winnipeg Jewish Community Council, 1986-1989.

Val passed away in Winnipeg, 2014.

Weil, Herbert S.

  • weil_hs
  • Personne
  • 1933-

Herbert S. Weil Jr. was born January 3, 1933, in New Orleans, Louisiana. He attended Yale University in 1950-1951 before obtaining an B.A. from Tulane University of Louisiana in 1954. The following year he did graduate study at the University of Paris and the University of Lille. Weil received his M.A. in 1961 and PHD in 1964 from Stanford University. In 1961 he married Judith Richardson, an English Professor.

Dr. Weil taught English at the University of Connecticut from 1962-1978. In 1978 he joined the University of Manitoba as head of the English Department. His wife joined the English Department in 1980. Both Herbert & Judith Weil were made senior scholars upon their retirement in 2002.

Dr. Weil has published extensively with articles on Shakespeare's plays, Sophocles, modern drama, Alice Munro and Carol Shields. He is the author of Reading Writing and Rewriting, (Lippincott, 1964); Discussions of Shakespeare's Romantic Comedy, (Heath, 1966) and The Cambridge Edition of Henry IV Part One, with Judith Weil in 1997.

Western Canadian Wheat Growers Association

  • wcwga
  • Collectivité
  • 1970-2003

The Western Canadian Wheat Growers Association is a non-profit, voluntary farm organization founded in 1970 as Palliser Triangle Wheat Growers Association. The first president of the Association was Wally Nelson. The Association helps individual wheat farmers to represent their interest to government and other sectors of the agriculture. The Association head office is in Regina. Revision of the Association name to Western Canadian Wheat Growers Association happened in 1985. The president of the Association at that time was George Fletcher. The Board of Directors is elected at the annual conventions. WCWGA is active and strives for establishment of the flexible system for individual farmers to maximize their profitability. The Association is entirely supported by member contributions.

Intercontinental Exchange Inc.

  • wce
  • Collectivité
  • 1887-

The Winnipeg Commodity Exchange was founded in 1887 by a group of Winnipeg grain merchants as the Winnipeg Grain and Produce Exchange. It served initially as a forum for cash trades in Canadian grains but, in 1904, introduced trading in wheat futures and subsequently added futures trading in barley, oats, flax, and rye. In 1908, the Exchange was re-organized as a voluntary, unincorporated, nonprofit organization and its name was changed to the Winnipeg Grain Exchange.

The Grain Exchange grew in importance with the Canadian grain economy so that by 1929, it played a major part in the establishment of world grain prices and the establishment of the Canadian Wheat Board in 1935. In 1943, the Wheat Board was given a monopoly in the marketing of wheat. In 1949, this monopoly was extended to oats and barley. The importance of the Exchange began to revive in 1963 with the establishment of a futures market in rapeseed (subsequently re-named canola). In 1972, a market in gold futures was opened, at which time the Exchange changed its name to the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange. In 1974, part of the trade in barley, oats, and feed wheat was restored to the Exchange.

During its operation, the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange Inc. (W.C.E. or the "Exchange") was Canada's only agricultural futures and options exchange. Agricultural contracts traded on W.C.E. included futures contracts for canola, flaxseed, domestic feed wheat, domestic feed barley, oats, milling wheat, durum wheat, canola meal, and peas. Options on certain of these products were also traded.

In 1996, the Winnipeg Commodities Exchange was Incorporated by an Act of the Manitoba Government. In 1998 WCE Clearing Corporation was established, and two years later the Manitoba Securities Commission took over regulatory responsibility from the Canadian Grain Commission.
In 2001, WCE demutualized, moving from a member-owned structure to a shareholder for-profit structure. On February 1, 2004, WCE celebrated 100 years of Futures Contract Trading. December 17, 2004 marked the end of open outcry trading, with WCE becoming the first North American commodity exchange to go fully electronic.

The WCE was acquired by Intercontinental Exchange (ICE) on August 28, 2007, and was re-named ICE Futures Canada (IFCA) at the beginning of 2008. Ten years later, the remaining contract on IFCA (canola) was moved to ICE’s New York exchange (ICE Futures U.S.) in July 2018, thereby ending the Winnipeg exchange’s operation after 131 years.

Wawrykow, Mary

  • wawrykow_m
  • Personne
  • 1911-1977

Mary A. Wawrykow, a prominent judge and community leader in Winnipeg, was the first woman of Ukrainian origin to practice law in Canada, and only the second woman in Manitoba to do so. She was born in Wakaw, Saskatchewan in 1911. Her parents, Mykyta and Anna Zakus, had emigrated from Ukraine (then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire) and settled on the Canadian prairies. Wawrykow graduated from the University of Manitoba Faculty of Law in 1934. In her student years, she was President of the Ukrainian Students Club, Prometheus. She married Daniel G. Wawrykow and started practicing law in Gimli, Manitoba in 1940. Prior to that, from 1936 to 1940, she was employed in the Attorney General's Department. In 1942, the couple moved to Winnipeg. Wawrykow became a prominent figure in Winnipeg’s law community. In 1955, she became President of the Women Lawyers Association of Manitoba and was named “Woman of the Year” by the Winnipeg Tribune. In 1959, she ran for the Progressive Conservative Party of Manitoba in the provincial constituency of Inkster. She was left to support three children, Marianne, Donna, and Dennis, when her husband passed away in 1960.

She was a dedicated professional who, in 1965, was appointed Queen’s Counsel. For her achievements, she received the Community Service Award of the City of Winnipeg. The Roblin government appointed her a part-time judge of the Winnipeg juvenile and family court in 1968 and, in 1975, Wawrykow was appointed as judge responsible for the Provincial Judges’ Court of Winnipeg (North). She was very active in many Ukrainian Canadian organizations: the Ukrainian Catholic Women’s League, the Ukrainian Benevolent Association of St. Nicholas Mutual, the Business and Professional Women’s Club of Winnipeg, and St. Joseph’s Ukrainian Catholic Parish. In 1971, she received the Taras Shevchenko Medal during the 10th Congress of Ukrainian Canadians in Winnipeg. Mary Wawrykow received many honors and tributes during her lifetime. In 1976, the Council of Christians and Jews recognized her work in human relations by giving her its Human Relations and Brotherhood Award. Mary A. Wawrykow passed away on April 15, 1977.

Watt, Vaughan David

  • watt_vd
  • Personne
  • 1892-1918

Vaughan David Watt was born in Birtle, Manitoba in 1892 the only son of David and Mary Jane (Jenny) Watt. David Watt farmed, worked as a grain buyer and was a Manager for the U.G.G. for twenty-two years. Jenny was elected the first secretary of the Federated Women's Institute in 1910 and went on to become the National President of the organization from 1923-1925. The couple's three children Vaughan, Vera and Nell all attended the Oxford School. Vaughan helped his father on the farm and worked in the local Union Bank. He played baseball and was part of the Birtle Band. He enlisted in 1916 at Saskatoon as part of the 28th Battalion Canadian Infantry (Saskatchewan Regiment). He was promoted to Lance-Corporal in May 1918. He was killed in France on August 9th 1918 and is buried in Rosieres Communal Cemetery Extension. One of his final letters home talks of returning to the farm to help his father.

Walz, Eugene P.

  • walz_g
  • Personne
  • 1942-

Eugene (Gene) P. Walz was a professor in the Department of English and Film Studies Programme at the University of Manitoba. He was born on October 17, 1942 and graduated from St. John Fisher College, Rochester, New York in 1964. In 1966, he completed an M.A. at Indiana University and, in 1975, a Ph.D. at the University of Massachusetts.

He started his teaching career at Frostburg (Maryland) State College in 1966 and became a part-time lecturer and teaching assistant at the University of Massachusetts in 1970. Gene Walz moved to Winnipeg in 1974, and became Head of the Film Studies Programme at the University of Manitoba. At the University of Manitoba, he also held the posts of Associate Head, Department of English (1983-1985), and Provost, University College (1997-2004).

Gene Walz is a writer, editor, consultant, filmmaker and a member of many professional societies and community advisory boards in the film industry. He was a member and president (1993-1995) of the Film Studies Association of Canada (1977-1995); a member of the Manitoba Motion Picture Industry Association (1987-1993; the Winnipeg Film Group (1982-1987); and Film Training Manitoba (1998-present?), plus many others.

Gene Walz is an author of many books and essays on film history and filmmakers. He published a book about a famous Manitoba Icelandic animator Charles Thorson, “Cartoon Charlie: the life and art of Charles Thorson” (1998), and edited two books on film history: “Flashback: people and institutions in Canada Film Industry" (1986), and “One Man’s documentary: a memoir about National Film Board” by G. McInnes (2004). As an authority on the Canadian film industry, Gene Walz also published many essays including, “Canadian and Manitoba films and filmmakers” and "Canada’s best features: critical essays”.

The famous French director, Francois Truffaut had always fascinated Gene Walz, who closely followed his artistic career over the years. His interest in Truffaut resulted in the publication of a reference book titled, “Francois Truffaut: a guide to reference” (1982).

As a writer and filmmaker, Walz never wanted to be viewed as just a critic of others in the film profession, but to actively engage in producing his own films. Writing the script for and directing “The Washing Machine”, a half-hour comedy-drama (story written by David Arnason), was a way to create his own work and experience the satisfaction of seeing his production from start to finish.

When the University of Manitoba School of Music staged the musical “You Can’t Beat Fun” (2002), Walz accepted the role of “President of Swingmore” and participated in the play as a cast member.

Professor Gene Walz retired from teaching at the University of Manitoba in 2012, and is very active on many film committees and advisory boards.

Walters, Frank J.

  • walters
  • Personne
  • 1898-

Frank J. Walters was born ca. late-1890s in Winnipeg. As a boy, Walters pumped a church organ on Sundays for a quarter. As a young man, Walters drove the night taxi for free. His recollections about life in the Red River Settlement are compiled in a manuscript he wrote and edited titled Pieces of the Past: A Collection of Tales of Old Red River.

Vanstone, Russenholt, MacFarlane Family

  • vrm_family
  • Famille
  • 1908-2015

Kathleen Josephine Vanstone Russenholt was born on July 9, 1908, in Wawanesa, Manitoba, to Charles M. Vanstone and Lily J. Clarke. In 1929 Kathleen (also known as Kay) graduated from the University of Manitoba with a BSc. After graduation, Kay was a supervisor of Canadian Chautauquas, a provincial secretary of the Wartime Information Board, and a broadcaster; during this time Kay was a host of the “Man About the House” radio program on CBC Winnipeg. At some time, Kay married Edgar S. Russenholt (also known as Ed) and had 3 children: Lynne MacFarlane (Russenholt), Ben Russenholt, and Champ (Fayre) Russenholt. After her marriage, Kay served as President of the Science Alumni Association at the University of Manitoba, served two terms as the alumni representative on the University Board of Governors, was on the planning committee of the Women’s School of Citizenship, President of the Winnipeg chapter of the Canadian Institute of International Affairs, an executive member of the University Women’s Club, a member of the local United Nations Association, served on the national board for the Canadian Institute of Adult Education, a member of the Manitoba Liquor Licensing Board, and was a Manitoba member of the Federal Centennial Commission. For her achievements, Kay was named “Woman of the Year” by the Winnipeg Tribune in 1952. Kay passed away on May 11, 1989.

Lynne MacFarlane (Russenholt) was born on July 29, 1932, to her parents, Edgar S. Russenholt and Kathleen Josephine Vanstone Russenholt. She attended Laura Secord School, Wolseley School, and Gordon Bell High School, during this time she was involved in almost every activity and club the schools offered. When she graduated, she attended the University of Manitoba and completed an Honour’s Degree in History and Political Science; she was a member of the Gamma Phi Beta sorority (Lynne appears in both the 1952 and 1953 University yearbooks). Years later she would return to receive her Master’s degree in History where she performed extensive research on Rosa Luxemburg. In 1950 she met her future husband, Donald MacFarlane and eventually had four children: Shannon (Rob Giesbrecht), Avon, Tara, and Scott (Donna). Her career path varied greatly throughout the years with positions such as: broadcaster, journalist, public relations professional, writer, best-selling author, stock broker, financial planner, speaker, counsellor, and editor for the Manitoban; and she had worked for CBC, the Winnipeg Tribune, the University of Manitoba, RBC Dominion Securities, and a business partner with her husband at MacFarlane Communications Services Ltd. She also spent a term sitting on the Canadian Advisory Council on the Status of Women and was involved with the Panhellenic movement. Lynne was generous with her time and knowledge, as she would aid friends and family in time of need, as she aided Marjorie Gillies manage her financial affairs; and when she would keep all of her family members in contact with one another. She is known for her strong work ethic, fierce intellect, kindness, generosity, support systems, vibrant personality, force of good, pride in Canadian heritage, and a role model to many. Lynne passed away of Alzheimer’s on October 30, 2015.

Résultats 1 à 30 sur 1579