Showing 145 results

authority records
University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections

Kent, David A.

  • David_Kent
  • Person
  • 1948-

David A. Kent was born in Winnipeg in 1948 and did his undergraduate degree in history and English at the University of Winnipeg (1970). After completing his MA in English at Queen’s University, he taught at the University of British Columbia for two years (1971-1973) before doing a PhD at York in Toronto (1979). He began teaching at Centennial College in Toronto in 1978 and retired at the end of 2011. He has been active in such professional organizations as the Association of Canadian College and University Teachers of English and the Modern Language Association of America.

He has published numerous reviews and articles and written, edited, or co-edited a dozen books on a variety of topics, including English poet Christina Rossetti, a family history, a parish history, early modern English literature, Romantic parodies, and religious poetry. He has a special interest in Canadian poet Margaret Avison.

Together with his wife, Margo Swiss, he began The St. Thomas Poetry Series at St. Thomas’s Church, Huron Street, in Toronto in 1988. In 1996 the readings series was complemented by the publication of books by Christian poets. The series is ongoing. As of 2016, thirty publications have been issued.

Reeve, Gordon

  • Gordon_Reeve
  • Person
  • 1946-

Gordon Reeve was born in Chatham, Ontario in 1946, to Bert Reeve and Audrey (Burrell) Reeve. He received a Bachelor of Fine Arts (1971) from Cranbrook Academy of Art and a Master of Fine Arts (1973) from the Rhode Island School of Design. Reeve moved to Winnipeg and began lecturing at the University of Manitoba in 1976, where he served as a professor and Sculpture Chair at the School of Art until 2013. He specializes in public sculpture and sculpture in the urban environment.

Reeve’s first commissioned sculpture was "One Edgel Road," a 1500-lb, 20’ bronze fountain erected in Framingham, Massachusetts, in 1972. He sculpts using a variety of materials, including wood, blown and cast glass, marble, concrete, onyx, stainless steel, bronze, and granite, and many of his works incorporate kinetic, light, digital, or buoyant elements. His sculptures have appeared across the United States, Italy, and Canada. He is the creator of "Drumlin" (1977, Winnipeg Art Gallery), "Justice" (1985, Manitoba Provincial Court), "Les Mefagerriques" (2007, Ottawa), and "Agassiz Ice" (2008, Assiniboine Park, Winnipeg), among others.

In 1987, Reeve began his career as a filmmaker with "Harvest – The Tradition," a 13-part series. He directed nineteen more films between 1987 and 2002. Many of his early films are records of art exhibitions of artists such as Pablo Picasso, Georges Braque, Vladimir Baranoff Rossine, Marcel Duchamp, Otto Dix, Wassily Kandinsky, Antoine Bourdelle, Ossip Zadkine, Auguste Rodin, Constantin Brancusi, and Ivan Eyre. These include "A Language to be Seen" (1987), "The Father He Never Knew" (1987), "Statues That Will Sing" (1987), "Enigma" (parts one and two, 1987)," I Must Paint What I See" (1987), "Future Imperfect" (1988), "The Music of Colour" (1988), "In Hidden Gardens" (1988), "Brancusi Miastra" (1988), and "I Am the Hornblower" (1988).

In 1988, Reeve directed his first feature-length documentary, "The Will to Win (La rage de vaincre)," about Canadian architect Carlos Ott, who won the bid to design L’Opera Bastille in Paris. The documentary, shot on 16-mm film in Monaco, Paris, Venice, Montevideo, Verona, New York, and Toronto, features Luciano Pavarotti, Barbara Hendricks, and Theresa Berganza, as well as Formula 1 drivers Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna. The accession contains archival footage filmed in La Fenice, Venice, and The Arena, Verona.

In 1990, Reeve produced, wrote, and directed "Moment of Light – The Dance of Evelyn Hart," his second feature-length documentary, co-produced with the National Film Board of Canada. The film follows renowned Winnipeg ballet dancer Evelyn Hart as she rehearses and performs across Winnipeg, Munich, and Paris. The film received a number of awards, including the Red Ribbon Award at the American Film and Video Festival, the Silver Plaque at the Chicago International Film Festival, the Bronze Apple at the National Educational Film and Video Festival, and the Bronze Plaque at the Columbus International Film and Video Festival. The accession contains archival footage filmed in Palais Garnier and La Scala, Milano.

Other films in Reeve’s filmography include "Walks Fast Woman" (1992-1993), "Blue Salute" (1997-1998), "Right to No" (1996-1998), and "Harawi – Olivier Messaien" (2002).

Reeve has been involved in many art initiatives in Winnipeg. Every year between 1992 and 2007, he organized THE BURNING, a collaborative class sculpture project which involved the creation of a six-to-twelve-foot high combustible sculpture. The event attracted hundreds of viewers.

In 2009, he requested inclusion of sculpture in the BMO 1st Art! Invitational Student Art Competition, the only art competition across Canada at the post-secondary level, which prior to that time had featured only two-dimensional art. His request was successful; the following year, both the national and provincial winners were graduating students from Reeve’s class.

Reeve also initiated Art on the Avenue, a $120,000 collaboration with the Winnipeg Downtown Biz to fund twenty sculpture students to create large-scale sculpture works on Portage Avenue in downtown Winnipeg. This project led to the creation of the Collaboration to Promote Art and Music, jointly funded by the University of Manitoba and University of Manitoba Student Union, which is ongoing.

Reeve received the Student’s Teacher Recognition Award/Certificate of Teaching Excellence from the University of Manitoba in 2008, 2010, and 2012. He formally retired from teaching in 2013.

Melnyk family

  • Melnyk Family
  • Family
  • 1915-2012

Stefan Sytnyk, 1897 – 1989 . Stefan Sytnyk was born in Ternopil, Crownland of Galicia, Austro-Hungarian Empire (now Ukraine) in 1897, one of five children. He worked as a skilled tradesman in his early years, and drove trains during the First World War. In 1926, he immigrated to Canada, followed by his wife Eugenia one year later; together they settled in Winnipeg where they would live for the rest of their lives. At first, Stefan worked for the railroad, but he had an entrepreneurial bent so after a few years, he and his wife, assisted by their only child Irene, opened a grocery store in Winnipeg’s North End which they operated until the early 1940’s. Supported by this business, Stefan began acquiring what became an extensive collection of rental properties throughout Winnipeg which he determinedly maintained himself even well into his eighties! Through his lifetime of hard work and frugal living, Stefan supported his wife’s extensive activities in the Ukrainian community and built a foundation for the future financial security and success of his family.

Eugenia Sytnyk, 1900 ? – 1975 . Eugenia Sytnyk was born in Ternopil, Crownland of Galicia, Austro-Hungarian Empire (now Ukraine). She became interested in community work very early in life, organizing women’s groups, cooperatives and schools, and serving with the Red Cross during the First World War She followed her husband Stefan to Canada in 1927, settling with him in Winnipeg where they had their only child Irene one year later. Eugenia continued her involvement in community work, teaching school, editing women’s and children’s pages of Ukrainian newspapers and helping Ukrainian immigrants adapt to life in Canada. She became a founding member of the Ukrainian Women’s League as well as of the Ukrainian Women’s Organization of Canada (UWOC) and also took on executive positions with a wide variety of local and national Ukrainian organizations, including the Ukrainian Canadian Women’s Committee and the World Federation of Ukrainian Women’s Organizations. Eugenia was recognized for her many years of service to the Ukrainian community with the Shevchenko Medal for Meritorious Service at the ninth Congress of Ukrainians in Canada, and the City of Winnipeg Community Service Award medal.

John Melnyk Sr., 1916 – 2009. John Melnyk was the elder son of Mykola and Palagia who immigrated to Canada from Ukraine and met and married in Winnipeg. From an early age, John was drawn to the piano, studying it enthusiastically from 1924 to 1938, first with Maria Kekishiwna (a pupil of Anton Rubinstein), Leda Omansky, and finally Beryl Ferguson under whose tutelage he earned his Licentiate of the Royal Schools of Music, London in 1935. He became a well-known performer in Winnipeg, participating in the Saturday Night concert series sponsored by the Men's Music Club of Winnipeg, performing live-to-air broadcasts for CBC, touring Western Canada with up-and-coming Canadian musicians, and accompanying touring international artists on their Canadian appearances. He also composed three preludes, a sonata, a concerto, and two sets of variations, all for piano and all unpublished. In later life he settled into teaching which he continued well into his eighties. Twenty-four of his students won the Aikins Memorial Trophy as top instrumentalist in the Manitoba Music Festival, with which he was associated for over 70 years. That festival now annually awards the John Melnyk trophy and bursary for the best performance of a piano concerto.

Irene Melnyk, 1928 – 2012 . Irene was the only child of Ukrainian immigrants Stefan and Eugenia Sytnyk. She grew up helping her parents in their store, accompanying her mother to community meetings, participating in Ukrainian groups and taking piano lessons from John Melnyk whom she married in 1948. Irene was then attending the University of Manitoba from which she received a Bachelor of Science in 1950. Shortly thereafter her two sons were born, and she devoted herself wholeheartedly to raising them, yet still found time to teach Ukrainian and Sunday school, publish two Ukrainian primers with her friend Nadia Pip, as well as teach piano in her husband’s burgeoning studio and publish a scale book for beginners with him. As her sons grew older, Irene turned her energies and love of learning to holistic health. She opened a health food store under the Shaklee organization, studied extensively at the Moreau Institute of Natural Healing, and also earned credentials in Physical Health, Natural Nutritional Sciences and Natural Therapeutics among others. She became a respected reflexologist and teacher, serving on the Reflexology Association of Canada (RAC) board of directors for several years; RAC awarded her a lifetime membership in 1997 and recognized her as Outstanding Teacher of the Year in 2006.

Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences

  • agriculturalfoodsciences
  • Corporate body

Administrative History of the Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences Manitoba Agricultural College was formerly opened in 1906. In the following year Manitoba Agricultural College became affiliated with the University of Manitoba so that the degree in agriculture could be conferred on students who had successfully completed the five-year course. However, the affiliation of Manitoba Agricultural College with the University was terminated by an Act of the Provincial Legislature in 1912 when the College was granted degree conferring powers. However, in 1916 the Act was amended and the affiliation between the College and University restored again. The University of Manitoba conferred the degree of Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (B.S.A.) for the first time in May 1911. Regular instruction in Home Economics began the same year and the degree of Bachelor of Home Economics (B.H.E.) was first conferred in May 1918. On March 1, 1924, by Act of the Manitoba Legislature, the administration of Manitoba Agricultural College was transferred to the Board of Governors of the University and it was arranged that in future the instructional work of the College could be carried on as a Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics of the University. The length of the degree courses in both Agriculture and Home Economics was reduced to four sessions in 1927-1928 to conform with the other university faculties. In 1929, the Legislature selected the site in Fort Garry, already occupied by the Manitoba Agricultural College since 1913, as the permanent site of the University.A systematic program of work in the field of rural adult education began in 1940. In 1946 the Department of Agricultural Engineering was added to the faculty. In 1966 the Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics opened the Centre for Applied Research at Glenlea, twenty kilometres south of Winnipeg.In 1970 the Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics separated into two independent faculties, Agriculture and Home Economics. Beginning in 1971 the Faculty of Agriculture, through sponsorship from the Provincial Government, became involved with various foreign aid programs. This culminated in 1979 when the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) financed a joint agricultural program with the University of Zambia. In July 1991 the Faculty became the Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences.

Alumni Association Inc.

  • alumniassociation
  • Corporate body
  • 1921-

The Alumni Association Inc. of the University of Manitoba was founded in 1921 by a handful of graduates. Their objective was to reach out to the growing numbers of graduates of the University and to sustain their interest and long-term support of the University. In 1935, the Association was incorporated in the Province of Manitoba as a not-for-profit organization with its own, independent volunteer Board of Directors. The Alumni Association operated largely as an independent association until 1958 when President Saunderson created the Public Relations and Information Office. The Alumni Association assumed the operative role of the Public Relations and Information Office and received direct funding from the University.

The Alumni Association provides, preserves and strengthens the vehicle for alumni involvement. One way this is achieved is by maximizing the University's opportunities to communicate with graduates on a regular basis. This communication reinforces the relationship between the University through the Alumni Affairs portfolio and the Alumni Association. Alumni Affairs is a department of the University directed by the Association's executive director. Its role is to facilitate alumni-related activities between the Alumni Association and the University.

In 2001, the Association celebrated its 80th anniversary. In large measure, the history of the Association reflects the much broader history of the University. For example, until 1988, the Alumni Association had the responsibility for soliciting alumni donations to the University. In 1988, this function was transferred to the Department of Private Funding in order to consolidate all fund raising ventures. Also, on May 10, 1999, the President of the University of Manitoba and the President of the Alumni Association signed a funding agreement that allowed for no-fee alumni membership to all University of Manitoba graduates. This agreement was renewed in 2002.

Barz, Sandra

  • barz_s
  • Person
  • 1930-

Born in Chicago in 1930, Sandra Barz completed her education at Skidmore College graduating with a Bachelor of Arts in 1952. She began her career in publishing and later became interested in Inuit art after purchasing a few pieces while visiting Canada. Thereafter she began to research and compile information relating to Inuit prints from Arctic Quebec/Puvirnituq, Baker Lake, Cape Dorset, Clyde River, Holman Island, and Pangnirtung. Her first exploration in this field involved developing, editing, and publishing 28 issues of Arts and Culture of the North from 1976 to 1984. She followed this work with a series of three volumes titled Inuit Artists Print Workbook, Volumes I, II, and III. The volumes catalogue over 8,000 Inuit print images dating from 1957 to the present, produced in the aforementioned communities, as well as prints produced independently of the Arctic co-operative system.

Barz developed her knowledge of printmaking and Inuit culture by making numerous trips to the Canadian Arctic, Alaska, Greenland, and Siberia over a thirty year period. By organizing tours to the Arctic, Sandra Barz connected participants with artists and printmakers and helped expand their appreciation for northern culture and the environment. To further connect art dealers, scholars, curators, and Inuit art enthusiasts, Barz coordinated and sponsored six Eskimo-(and Inuit Art) in-Art Conferences held in the United States and Canada. These venues included Toronto (Art Gallery of Ontario), Ottawa (National Museum of Man (currently Canadian Museum of Civilzation)), Winnipeg (Winnipeg Art Gallery), Washington, DC (The Smithsonian Institution), Chicago (The Field Museum), and Cape Dorset (West Baffin Eskimo Co-operative Limited).

Barz's papers detail over forty years of dedication to documenting Inuit artist biographies, the evolution of printmaking, and encouraging growing interest for Inuit art worldwide. She also documents the recognition given by governments to Indigenous art and culture with her collection of stamps from Europe, Greenland, United States, and Canada.

Bouchard, Marie

  • bouchard_m
  • Person
  • 1953-

Born in 1953, Marie Bouchard grew up in a Manitoba farming community. She completed a Bachelor of Arts Honors degree at the University of Winnipeg in 1980, an Honors History degree in 1984 and a Master’s degree in Canadian History at the University of Manitoba in 1986. In 1985, as part of her Master’s work, she was invited by the Winnipeg Art Gallery to assist Inuit art scholar Jean Blodgett in the 1986 exhibition “Jessie Oonark: A Retrospective.” The accompanying exhibition catalogued detailed Oonark’s artistic oeuvre and her life at Back River based on interviews Bouchard conducted in Baker Lake, Nunavut.

Upon receiving a Canada Council Explorations Grant, Bouchard with her husband, Jim McLeod moved to Baker Lake in 1986 where she undertook indepth research on the people of Back River and the starvation of the 1950s. Her collection of archival research and oral history in the form of numerous documents and interviews also details the Government of Canada’s role during the relocation of Inuit from outlying camps to the fledgling community of Baker Lake during the 1950s and the Inuit survivors’ account of these events. These records are significant because they document the ensuing cultural upheaval and tragedy from starvation because of a lack of resources and Government plans to populate the North and promote sovereignty during the Cold War.

During her eleven years in Baker Lake, Bouchard developed her interest in Inuit art and economic development. She began supporting Inuit women artists and resurrected their creation of intricately embroidered wall hangings soon after arriving in the community. Bouchard eventually opened Baker Lake Fine Arts, a small, privately-owned cottage industry which brought financial support to the artists, as well as the necessary art supplies and marketing skills. With the closing of the local sewing centre, her venture allowed women in the community to continue to sew and care for their children at home. Her interests included all genres of art but primarily focused on the works on cloth which she showcased in public and commercial exhibitions both nationally and internationally. Her collection chronicles the production of Baker Lake works on cloth, soapstone carvings and drawing in the area over a ten year period through slide images, artist interviews and her library of Inuit art exhibition catalogues and books.

Bouchard was also instrumental in establishing the Baker Lake Historical Society which promoted cultural tourism and the revival of traditional knowledge for educational purposes.

Bouchard left Baker Lake for Winnipeg Manitoba in 1997. She worked as an independent art curator and consultant for the next ten years. She repatriated the representation and celebration of art by local Inuit artists by involving them in the representation of their work and hosting exhibition openings in the community. She curated major art exhibitions focused on Inuit and aboriginal art for institutions such as the National Gallery of Canada, the Art Gallery of Ontario, Itsarnittakarvik: Inuit Heritage Centre, Plug In ICA, and in the United States at the Los Angeles Fowler Museum, and New York’s American Indian Community House, as well as at several college galleries. She also took her collection of Baker Lake works on cloth to Japan for a major international exhibition. She has delivered numerous lectures and author essays and articles on Baker Lake works on cloth, drawings, sculptures, eco-museums and tourism.

Canadian Officers Training Corps

  • cotc
  • Corporate body
  • 1914-1966

The University of Manitoba's Canadian Officer's Training Corps (C.O.T.C.) began in 1914 as a patriotic response to the outbreak of war in Europe. A series of meetings were held in September 1914 to organize a training program to prepare male students for active service overseas. The University Council appointed a Committee on Military Instruction which authorized the teaching of military science and tactics. A university corps was organized in the fall semester of the 1914-1915 year with 64 students taking extra classes to qualify as officers. Later, in March 1915, the Department of Defence instructed the University of Manitoba to join other universities throughout Canada to establish an official training curriculum under the auspices of the Canadian Officer Training Corps. Eight companies of sixty men each were formed with Professor E.P. Featherstonhaugh serving as captain and adjutant. In 1915 the Western Universities Battalion was established with the University of Manitoba contributing a company and a platoon. With the introduction of conscription legislation in 1917, military training was made compulsory for all male students. After the war, in 1920, the C.O.T.C. was reorganized by Lt. Col. N.B. Maclean. It continued in relative obscurity for nearly twenty years until the Second World War.

With the outbreak of the Second World War, the C.O.T.C. was quickly revitalized and its membership mushroomed from its peacetime level of 150 personnel to over 800. The Senate also passed regulations relating to academic credits or "bonuses" for students who joined the C.O.T.C. By 1941 all male students were once again required to enlist in a compulsory program of military training. After the war the C.O.T.C. continued to offer military training on a voluntary basis with new modernized and attractive programs, but with the return of peace its popularity rapidly declined with the organization dissolving in 1966.

Ukrainian Reading Association “Chytal’nia Prosvita”

  • cprosvita
  • Corporate body
  • 1903-

The Ukrainian Reading Association “Chytal’nia Prosvita” was founded in 1903 by the members of the St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic church parish in Winnipeg. The goal of the association is to promote and foster the Ukrainian culture (language, history, geography) through the education of ordinary people. The movement of the enlightenment society “Prosvita” started in the city of Lviv, Crownland of Galicia, Austro-Hungarian Empire (now western Ukraine) in 1868. The first Ukrainians coming to Canada who were members of the mother organization in Ukraine brought this idea with them to Winnipeg. They first held meetings at the St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Church and later at SS. Vladimir and Olga Cathedral and opened their Ukrainian heritage school, “Ridna Shkola”, in 1918.

In 1919 the members of the “Chytal’nia Prosvita,” which had rented various locales since 1903, discussed the possibility of purchasing their own building. (In January 1919 rioting unemployed war veterans had sacked and destroyed the association’s quarters at Dufferin and Parr because they perceived its members as “enemy alien” Austro-Hungarians.) Eight members of the association loaned their own money to purchase a lot at 667 Flora Avenue. The newly constructed building officially opened on October 9, 1921 and was blessed by Metropolitan Andrei Sheptyckyj, who was touring North America. A list of donors who contributed to the Ukrainian Reading Association’s building was hung on the wall in the new building.

With the new building, new organizations came into being such as the Benevolent Association of “Chytal’na Prosvita” - the Mutual Aid Society (1927); the Women’s Organization of Maria Markovych (1931); and the “Plast” youth organization (1930). In addition to the above mentioned organizations, many other groups and institutions used the building for their own activities during the years that ensued: the Society of Volyn and Research Institute of Volyn, the Ukrainian National Federation, the North Winnipeg Credit Union, and various musical and theatrical groups. “Chytal’nia Prosvita” also had a large library it was used by the Ukrainian community of the North End.

The Ukrainian Reading Association “Chytal’nia Prosvita” housed various cultural events, debates, lectures, concerts, amateur theatre and dance performances. Many prominent Ukrainian artists and scholars visited “Chytal’nia Prosvita such as E. Turula (composer), K. Andrysyshyn (educator), V. Avramenko (choreographer), O. Koshetz (director of choir) and many others who performed at the “Chytal’na Prosvita”.

In 1982 a big fire destroyed most of the building and although costly repairs kept it going for a while, it deteriorated to the point that the members of the “Chytal’nia Prosvita” decided to sell the building. The Ukrainian Reading Association’s building finally closed the doors on May 31, 2001. The Chytal’nia Prosvita’s executive board relocated to the North Winnipeg Credit Union, and their funds were transferred into a Designated Fund in the Shevchenko Foundation. The Ukrainian heritage school “Ridna shkola” operated out of Andrew Mynarski School. It had 10 grades and opened its doors to students every Sunday. A large number of books from the Ukrainian Reading Association were sent to Ukraine and the rest were deposited into the University of Manitoba Slavic Collection.

The “Chytal’nia Prosvita’s” building provided a gathering place and support to many Ukrainian immigrants who came to Winnipeg to start their new lives. It promoted Ukrainian language and culture, provided educational and social services, strengthened national consciousness, and also educated the general public about Ukraine and its people. It fit perfectly into the multicultural mosaic of Winnipeg and played a major role in Ukrainian-Canadian history. The success of the “Chytal’nia Prosvita" is a testimony to the many hard working individuals who, over the years, contributed to the promotion of Ukrainian education in Canada.

Eyland, Cliff

  • eyland_c
  • Person
  • 1954 - 2020

Clifford Leslie Joseph Eyland was an artist and assistant professor at the University of Manitoba's School of Art. Eyland was born November 7, 1954 to Kathleen Margaret Eyland (nee Williams) and Ronald James Eyland in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Eyland studied at Holland College, Mount Allison University, followed by the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design (NSCAD).

In the 1980s, Eyland began making paintings, drawings and notes in a 3”x5” index card format. Since then, much of Eyland’s work explored the relationship between libraries and galleries, both of which are institutions that house and preserve. Eyland’s index card project formed some of his largest installations which appear in libraries across Canada, such as Winnipeg’s Millennium Library, the Halifax Central Library and Edmonton’s Meadow Library. In addition to his large-scale library installations, Eyland had several solo exhibitions and participated in many group shows throughout North America and Europe. In 2003, he was shortlisted for the nation RBC/Canadian Art Foundation painting award.

Eyland’s writing has been published in Canadian art magazines since 1983, and Eyland curated exhibitions since 1985. He served as a curator at the Technical University of Nova Scotia School of Architecture (now known as Daltech) from 1985 until 1994. In 1998, Eyland became the Director of Gallery One One One (now known as the School of Art Gallery), where he would remain until 2012. During this time, Eyland also taught at the University of Manitoba and served as a board member on Plug In ICA’s Board of Directors from 1995 until 2005.

Cliff Eyland died May 16, 2020 in Winnipeg.

Faculty of Law

  • facultyoflaw
  • Corporate body
  • [ca.1860] -

The University of Manitoba first became involved in legal education in 1885 when it established a three-year course of studies leading to the LL.B. degree. This course did not include instruction, it simply prescribed a reading program with three annual examinations, which articled law students couId follow concurrently with the course prescribed by the Law Society. In the years 1911-1912, the Law Society was prompted by the Law Students Association to provide a short series of lectures. In 1913, H.A. Robson, then Manitoba's Public Utilities Commissioner and a former judge of the Court of King's Bench, organized a considerably improved course of lectures and began to lay the plans for the establishment in the following year of a permanent law school modeled after the Osgoode Hall Law School of the Law Society of Upper Canada.

The Manitoba Law School was jointly sponsored by The University of Manitoba and the Law Society of Manitoba. Both bodies took part in the planning from the beginning. In the summer of 1914, they entered into an agreement, subsequently endorsed by legislation, which provided for the creation of the School, offering a three-year course consisting of lectures and apprenticeship leading to both an LL.B. degree and a call to the Bar and admission to practice. Expenses of the School were shared equally by the two parent bodies, and its operations were supervised by a jointly appointed Board of Trustees. This arrangement between The University of Manitoba and the Law Society of Manitoba continued until 1966 when the Law School became the Faculty of Law of the University of Manitoba.

The Faculty of Law presently offers programs of study leading to two degrees, the LL.B. and the LL.M. The latter degree program was brought into existence in 1949 by the Manitoba Law School. It was substantially revamped by the Faculty of Law in 1968.

Gerus, W. Oleh

  • gerus_o
  • Person
  • 1939-

Dr. Oleh Walter Gerus was born on July 9, 1939 in Bludlow, Volhynia, in what was then, part of eastern Poland (present-day Svitanok, Ukraine), to parents, Reverend Serhij and Anna Gerus (Palianychka). From 1946 to 1950, he received his primary education in the Displaced Persons Camps in Munster Lager and Fallingbostel, in Northern Saxony, Germany. Upon immigrating to Canada with his parents, he completed his public school education in Vita and Winnipeg. He received his BA (1962 History and Slavic Studies) and MA (1964 History) from the University of Manitoba and his PhD from the University of Toronto (1970), under the supervision of Robert H. McNeal. He was awarded a doctoral fellowship to Lomonsov State University, Moscow (1966-67), where he studied with Piotr A. Zaionchkovsky. In 1967 Oleh Gerus lectured at the University of Manitoba and the following year he was appointed as an assistant professor at Brandon University. In 1969 he joined the University of Manitoba’s Department of History where he served for over 47 years. In 1996, he was promoted to full professor. He retired in 2016. Dr. Gerus is married to Yvonne (Bonnie) née Kowalchuk, and the couple have 3 children: Helene, Andrew and Roman.

Dr. Gerus‘s fields of specialization and teaching include: Ukrainian history, modern Russian history, Ukrainians in Canada, Ukrainian Orthodox Church history and the late Metropolitan Ilarion (Ivan Ohienko). His publications focus on the Ukrainian experience. The Canadian media has often called upon Dr. Gerus to provide commentary on the Ukrainian community in Canada, as well as on current events taking place in Eastern Europe and Russia, because of his knowledge and expertise of the history and politics of the region. His strong commitment to the university community has been reflected in: participating in the Centre for Ukrainian Canadian Studies, Policy Council; various committees within the Department of History, including the associate headship; and serving on the board of directors of St. Andrew's College and college committees of St. Paul’s College. Dr. Gerus’s contributions to the University of Manitoba have been recognized through various awards and accolades, which include: the University of Manitoba Outreach Award; the University of Manitoba Dr. & Mrs. Campbell Outreach Award; the Fr. Cecil Ryan, SJ, Rector’s Award (St. Paul’s College); and the bestowing on him the degree of Doctor of Canon Law (DCL) Honoris Causa (St. Andrew’s College). Always focused on the students, Dr. and Mrs. Gerus endowed a scholarship in European history for St. Paul's College students as well as a memorial bursary in the Faculty of Education.

Throughout his academic career Dr. Gerus has remained very active in the Ukrainian-Canadian community: first as a student leader in the Ukrainian Student’s Union of Canada; later as an executive member of the Ukrainian Academy of Arts and Sciences in Canada; as president of the Ukrainian Cultural and Educational Centre, Oseredok; and as a member of the boards of the Ukrainian Canadian Foundation of Taras Shevchenko and the Oseredok Foundation. Dr. Gerus accompanied the Oleksander Koshetz Choir of Winnipeg on its concert visits to Ukraine and to the Ukrainian diaspora in Europe and South America where he lectured on the Ukrainian Canadian experience. In the late 1980s, as Ukraine inched closer to independence, Dr. Gerus was involved in founding the Canadian Friends of Rukh, the popular movement for political and cultural reconstruction in Ukraine. He also assisted Ukraine’s academia, by working with and helping to develop a curriculum for the re-born University of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy, a historically important institution of learning. Following Ukraine's independence, Dr. Gerus was invited by the Ukrainian National Academy of Sciences in 1992 to participate in Ukraine's celebration of Ivan Ohienko's (Metropolitan Ilarion) 110th anniversary of his birth and his remarkable intellectual achievements.

In addition to numerous articles on Ukrainian Orthodox Church history and the history of Ukrainians in Canada, Dr. Gerus’s major publications include an edition of Dmytro Doroshenko’s A Survey of Ukrainian History (Winnipeg: Humeniuk Foundation, 1975), which he edited, updated and introduced, and (with Denys Hlynka) The Honourable Member for Vegreville: The memoirs and diary of Anthony Hlynka, MP (Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 2005).

Glass, Helen

  • glass_h
  • Person
  • 1917-2015

HELEN PRESTON GLASS, B.Sc.N., M.A., M.Ed., & Ed.D., (Columbia), LL.D. (Hon. Causa, Memorial), LL.D. (Hon. Causa, Western)

Born in Regina, Saskatchewan in 1917, and educated in Saskatchewan schools until the end of grade twelve, Dr. Helen Preston Glass began her university education at the University of Saskatchewan’s School of Home Economics. After one successful year there, she decided instead to pursue a career in nursing, and completed a three-year degree program at the Royal Victoria Hospital School of Nursing in Montréal, Québec in 1939. She then stayed on at that facility as a supervisor in the Anaesthetic Department, and subsequently moved on to many other nursing positions in general hospitals in Dunnville, Ontario; Abbotsford, British Columbia; and Prince Albert, Saskatchewan between 1941 and 1945. From 1952 to 1953, Dr. Glass worked as a clinic nurse in an obstetric clinic in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Dr. Glass began her career teaching nursing at the Holy Family School of Nursing, in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, from 1953 to 1955. Here, she taught courses in foundations, issues and trends in nursing at both undergraduate and graduate levels, and developed and taught a new clinical teaching program. She then moved on to Victoria General Hospital, in Winnipeg, Manitoba, where she taught both basic sciences and clinical nursing courses. She earned a Certificate in Teaching and Supervision from the University of Manitoba in 1958, and furthered this pursuit at Columbia University Teacher’s College, completing a Bachelor of Science in Nursing in 1960 and a Master of Arts in 1961. She then became the first person to assume the position of Education Secretary for the Manitoba Association of Registered Nurses (MARN). As such, she was responsible for planning and conducting workshops and providing consultation to Schools of Nursing. Glass acted as liaison with other health disciplines in Manitoba, and as secretary to the various committees associated with MARN. She was also instrumental in creating the Manitoba Nursing Research Institute (now the Manitoba Centre for Nursing and Health Research).

In 1962, she joined the Faculty of the University of Manitoba School of Nursing, teaching programs for both new students and registered nurses. She was primarily responsible for the design and implementation of introductory and third year level courses for the first four-year baccalaureate nursing program which began in 1963. After completing her Master of Education in 1970, and Doctor of Education (Nursing) in 1971, again at Columbia University, Dr. Glass returned to the Faculty, and in 1972 became full professor and Director of the School of Nursing. She received honorary Doctor of Law degrees from Memorial University in 1983, the University of Western Ontario in 1986, St. Francis Xavier University in 1991, and the University of Montreal in 1993, and an honorary Doctor of Science degree from McGill University in 1995.

Dr. Glass has been the recipient of a number of awards honouring her achievements in both nursing and education. Upon her graduation from the Royal Victoria Hospital School of Nursing in 1939, she received the award for Proficiency in Bedside Nursing. She was awarded the Dr. Katherine E. McLaggen Fellowship Award from the Canadian Nurses’ Foundation for both 1968/69 and 1969/70, and the Marion Woodward Award and Lecture from the University of British Columbia in 1974, and the Queen’s Silver Jubilee Medal in appreciation of exemplary service in 1977. She was named one of 1979's Women of the Year by the YWCA. She was also awarded the R. Louise McManus Medal from the Nursing Education Alumni Association of Teachers’ College, Columbia University, and the Jeanne Mance Award of the Canadian Nurses’ Association in 1992. In 1993 she was given the Special Achievement Award by MARN, among many other honours.

Dr. Glass has been both member and chair of several professional associations and committees, at the university, provincial, national, and international levels. Examples include membership in the Council of the Canadian Association of University Schools of Nursing (CAUSN), the National Nursing Committee of the Canadian Red Cross Society, the Board of Directors of the Big Sister Association of Winnipeg and the University of Manitoba Senate Executive Committee. She has served on the Manitoba Association of Registered Nurses Social Policy Committee, and the YW/YMCA Board of Directors and the Manitoba Health Research Council.

Dr. Glass has also been an invited member of the Task Force on Euthanasia and Definition of Death, Law Reform Committee of Canada, and was a member of the Review Board for the National Health Grants Directorate. She has consulted on health care proposals and nursing education programs within Canada, and has helped develop submissions to the Advisory Council on the Status of Women, the Hall Commission, and the Canada Health Act. She has been President of MARN, President and member of the Canadian Nurses’ Association (CNA) Board of Directors, and a member of the Canadian Nurses’ Foundation (CNF) Board of Directors. She was active in the Canadian Conference University Schools of Nursing, and served on the Canadian Delegation to the World Health Assembly in 1983 and again in 1985.

Politically, she was very active in educating nurses across Canada and enlisting their support to successfully introduce health care amendments to the Canada Health Act, which went through 1982 to 1984, while Dr. Glass was president of the CNA. She has also been active in the Canadian Health Care Economics Association, and presented the first paper by a Canadian nurse on “Economics of Nursing: Cost Effective Strategies,” to the Second Canadian Conference.

Following Dr. Glass’s retirement from the faculty of nursing at the University of Manitoba in 1986, the Canadian Nurses Foundation established the Doctor Helen Preston Glass Fellowship for Doctorate Study, awarded annually to a student pursuing their graduate degree in nursing.

In 1988, Dr. Glass was made an Officer of the Order of Canada and received the Order of Manitoba in 2008. In 1995, she was given a honourary life membership in the Canadian Public Health Association, in recognition of outstanding services in the promotion of public health. In 1989, after her retirement from the University of Manitoba, Glass was named Professor Emerita. 1999, the University of Manitoba honoured Dr. Glass by naming their new nursing building after her. Her Royal Highness, Princess Anne, dedicated the building during her visit for the 1999 Pan American games. In 2013, Glass was presented with the Centennial Ward from the College of Registered Nurses of Manitoba.

Dr. Glass published widely on nursing and health care in professional journals in Canada and the United States, and internationally in French, English, and Danish. Dr. Helen Glass passed away on February 14, 2015.

Grove, Frederick Philip

  • grove_f
  • Person
  • 1879-1948

Frederick Philip Grove arrived in Manitoba in September 1912. Although he kept his prior life very much a secret, he was born in 1879 as Felix Paul Greve in Radomno, a small Prussian town on the post-World War I German-Polish border. Greve grew up in Hamburg where he graduated from the famous humanistic Gymnasium Johanneum in 1898 and then studied classical philology at Bonn University. In late July 1909, he faked his suicide and immigrated to North America, taking second class passage on the White Star Liner "Megantic" from Liverpool to Montreal. The three years spent in the United States are described in ASA, 1927, except that Grove fails to mention the year he operated a small farm in Sparta, Kentucky, with Else Freytag-Loringhoven who had joined him in Pittsburgh in 1910. In Canada, he was a teacher/principal in a variety of rural schools, including Rapid City where he lived for seven years before moving to Ottawa in 1929. There, he joined Graphic Publishers until 1931, when he settled on an estate in Simcoe, Ontario. Grove wrote and his wife Catherine Wiens opened a Froebel Kindergarten. Grove suffered a crippling stroke in 1944 and although he continued to write, his health deteriorated. He died on August 19, 1948.

During his Manitoba years (1919-1929), Grove published twelve books, including Over Prairie Trails (1922), The Turn of the Year (1923), Settlers of the Marsh (1925), A Search for America (ASA, 1927, eEd. 2000), Our Daily Bread (1928) and It Needs to be Said (1929). He also wrote many short stories, reviews, essays and articles, and a very large number of poems (publ. 1993, eEd. 2007). In Ontario, several more books were published, starting with The Yoke of Life (1930). Fruits of the Earth (1933), Master of the Mill (1944), and his official autobiography In Search of Myself (ISM, 1946, eEd. 2007) followed. His "ant-book", the Swiftian satire Consider Her Ways (1947), was published as a fragment. Many more unfinished typescripts are among his papers. Grove was endebted to Stefan George's "Mache" or way of crafting for all his poetry, and to Flaubert's symbolic realism for his prose works. He is a key figure in Canadian literary history and is known for his vivid descriptions of life on the prairies which often tended to be dark and difficult.

Frederick Philip Grove is one of the most important and debatable novelists in Canadian literature. An intriguing aspect of this man is the mystery surrounding his origins. Grove kept secret his life prior to his arrival in Winnipeg, Manitoba in December 1912. Where he came from, who he was, what he did and why he left may never be absolutely known. However, a number of scholars have come to believe that Grove’s original name was Felix Paul Greve.1 Many aspects of this man’s life tie in with Grove’s, many do not. In accordance with increasing academic support in favor of Paul Greve and Frederick Philip Grove being the same individual, this thesis has been accepted in the present context.

In all likelihood, Frederick Philip Grove was born February 14, 1879 at Radomno, on the Polish-Prussian border. He studied at Bonn University in 1898 and sometime between 1909 and 1912 immigrated to North America. An important element of Grove’s life was his role as an educator. He spent many years teaching in various rural communities of Southern Manitoba. From January to June 1913 he taught in the town of Haskett and during the following summer was appointed principal of the Intermediate School in Winkler, where he remained until July 1915. Tena (Catherine) Wiens was a fellow teacher and became Grove’s close friend and confidante. On August 2, 1914 they were married, the bride aged 22, the groom giving his age as 41.

In the next seven years Grove taught in six different schools, as well as pursuing his own academic interests. In September 1915 he enrolled at the University of Manitoba as an extramural student, majoring in French and English. During this time, his daughter Phyllis May was born. Grove did not receive his Bachelor of Arts degree until 1922.
In the summer of 1922 Grove became principal of the high school in Rapid City, Manitoba, and although he suffered from several long-term illnesses, he taught there until 1924.
Two of Grove’s life-long associates were Arthur Leonard Phelps and Watson Kirkconnell, both of whom he first met in March 1923 at a teacher’s convention in Winnipeg. Kirkconnell was his “private library service”, while Phelps provided connections with many influential literary people such as W. A. Deacon, then literary editor of the Toronto Saturday Night, Graham Spry, later executive president of the Canadian Clubs, and Lorne Pierce, editor of Ryerson Press.

Between 1919 and 1929 Grove published twelve books including Over Prairie Trails (1922), The Turn of The Year (1923), Settlers of the Marsh (1925), A Search for America (1927), Our Daily Bread (1928) and It Needs to Be Said (1929). During this same period he also wrote several stories, reviews and articles, and a collection of poems dedicated to his daughter, Phyllis May, who died suddenly on July 20, 1927 at the age of twelve. These poems are highly emotional and portray the intense sorrow suffered by the Groves at this time.
In 1928 Grove conducted two lecture tours sponsored by the Canadian Clubs, one in Ontario (February to April) and the other in the Western provinces (September and November). Grove was a gifted lecturer, not only on literary subjects, but also on education, art, culture, farming, democracy and science. His wide-ranging interests and encyclopedic knowledge are especially evident in the collection of unpublished articles and addresses. Grove became quite popular and his works were well received by the Canadian public.
In September of 1929, just prior to the Depression, Grove left Rapid City, Manitoba and in December moved to Ottawa to join Graphic Publishers. However, due to personal disputes, he left the company in March of 1931 and used the money he had saved from this venture to buy a forty-acre farm in Simcoe, Ontario. Graphic Publishers declared bankruptcy on August 16, 1932. Before the Groves left Ottawa, their son, Arthur Leonard (named after Arthur Phelps), was born August 14, 1931.

While working hard at renovating their large, white frame farm house, the Groves opened the Froebel Kindergarten, whose pupils were members of the Simcoe English Club. Enrollment increased so that by 1935 it included the “first form” (for children age six or seven), plus extra courses in oral French, nature study, home geography, and art. Meanwhile, Grove farmed his land and the family was basically self-sufficient. Grove was realizing his dream of being a gentleman farmer and literary man. However in 1939, because of poor health, he was forced to give up farming. As the Depression persisted, fewer and fewer parents could afford the expense of private school. Accordingly, the school became less selective and began accepting children with serious learning problems. Mrs. Grove was particularly gifted in working with slow learners, and this ability provided her with an income for many years.

But Grove’s health was failing. In April 1944 he suffered a crippling stroke that totally paralyzed his right side. However, his mind remained clear and he continued his reading and writing by dictation. Early in 1944 Pelham Edgar established a fund for the “Canadian Writers Foundation Inc.” and in March Grove was made one of its first three beneficiaries. He received a grant of $100 per month which continued until his death.

The last few years of his life were painful and difficult for Grove; nonetheless he continued to write. In March 1944 he published The Master of the Mill, and in 1946 published his autobiography, In Search of Myself, destined to win the 1947 Governor-General’s award for non-fiction. He also managed to complete the final draft of Consider Her Ways before his final seizure in May 1946.

For most of Grove’s last two years, having lost his speech, his needs were served not only by his wife but by his teenage son, Leonard. After his death on August 19, 1948, Grove’s body was buried beside his daughter Phyllis May, in Rapid City, Manitoba.
Frederick Philip Grove is a key figure in the history of Canadian literature. His outstanding literary achievements and contributions as a writer, teacher, critic, and philosopher are becoming increasingly recognized and appreciated. Much has been written of this man and much more will be written in the years to come because of the power of his writings, their enduring popularity, and because of his own life and personality.

Haas, Maara

  • haas_m
  • Person
  • 1920-2012

Maara Haas (née Lazeczko) was born in Winnipeg on Feb. 12, 1920. Her father, Michael Lazeczko was the first Ukrainian-Canadian pharmacist. At the age of fifteen she received an IODE Laura Secord award for her essay “Let No Man Call Me Foreigner.” After studying journalism at the University of California (Berkeley) in 1939, she spent two years as a reporter and literary reviewer in the United States before returning to Winnipeg. In 1947 she was awarded First Prize by the Manitoba Poets' Society for her poem The Prodigal. In 1959 she was awarded a certificate of achievement (hramota) by the Ukrainian Free Academy of Sciences (UVAN) in Winnipeg for her efforts to popularize and translate the poetry of Taras Shevchenko into English.

Haas had a varied career as a poet, writer, playwright, actress and creative writing teacher. She had a chap book of her early poetry entitled Viewpoint: Collected Poems published by Ryerson Press in 1952. Over the years her work appeared in The Canadian Review of Literature, The Indian Record, The Washington Post and The Canadian Dimension. In 1976 McGraw Hill Ryerson published her first novel The Street Where I Live about growing up in Winnipeg's ethnically diverse North End. That same year her stage play Otherworlds/ Other Faces was produced by the Winnipeg YMCA. In the 1980's Haas taught creative writing in local schools, on Cree and Salteaux reservations at Oxford House and Grand Marais, and in Bermuda. Her second book, On Stage with Maara Haas (Lilith, 1986) consisted of short stories and poems. Turnstone Press published Why Isn't Everybody Dancing in 1990. The book was about slavery in Bermuda and expressed Maara’s grief after the loss of her daughter.

Maara Haas died on August 29th 2012.

John L. Hamerton

  • hamerton_j
  • Person
  • 1929-2006

John Laurence Hamerton was born September 23, 1929 in Hove, England. He received his B.Sc. from the University of London in 1951. He worked on the Science Staff of the Medical Research Council (MRC) Radiobiology Research Unit from 1951-1956. He was the Senior Science Officer for the British Royal Museum from 1956-1959. He worked on the British Empire Cancer Campaign at the University of London from 1959-1960. He was lecturer and head of the Cytogenetics Section of Guy's Hospital Medical School from 1962-1969. While at Guy's he collaborated on studies that helped pave the way for the first bone marrow transplants. He completed his D.Sc. from the University of London in 1968.

Hamerton came to Winnipeg in 1969 to create the Winnipeg Children's Hospital's first human genetics department. He established an international reputation as a researcher, making major contributions in prenatal diagnosis, cytogenetics and ethical issues relating to the Human Genome Project. He was a founding member and former President of the Canadian College of Medical Geneticists. He was the former President of American Society of Human Geneticists and the Genetics Society of Canada. Upon his retirement from the University of Manitoba, he was named Distinguished Professor Emeritius in 1997. That same year he became a member of the Royal Society of Canada. In 2003 he was named an Officer of the Order of Canada. Dr. Hamerton died on February 9, 2006.

Harland, Gordon

  • harland_g
  • Person
  • 1920-2003

Gordon Harland was born near Treherne, Manitoba on December 27, 1920. He received a B.A. from the University of Manitoba in 1942 and a Bachelor of Divinity from United College in 1945. He taught church history at United College from 1946 to 1955 before starting the Ph.D. program at Drew University in New Jersey in the fall of 1955. Harland taught at Drew University while doing course work to complete his doctorate. Harland successfully completed his doctorate in 1959. He left Drew University in 1968 to found the Department of Religious Studies at the University of Manitoba. He would remain at the University of Manitoba for three years before joining the faculty at Penn State University. He returned to the University of Manitoba in 1973 and was made a Professor Emeritius upon his retirement in 1992.

Harland received a Doctor of Divinity from the University of Winnipeg in 1976 and one from Queen's University in 1989. He was the first occupant of the Chair of Christian Thought at the University of Calgary in 1987. He is the author of three books: The Thought of Reinhold Niebuhr (1960), Christian Faith & Society (1988), and co-author of Religious Studies in Manitoba & Saskatchewan (1993), as well as numerous articles. Harland combined the roles of preaching and teaching. He preached at several churches and was a sought after speaker, lecturing all over North America. Harland died on December 08, 2003.

Havens, Betty

  • havens_b
  • Person
  • 1936-2005

Betty Havens was born October 9, 1936. She obtained a B.A. from Milwaukee-Downer College in 1958 and an M.A. in Sociology from the University of Wisconsin in 1965. From 1972 to 1982, she served in the position of Research Director with Manitoba Health. She initiated the Manitoba Longitudinal Study of Aging in 1971 that is still being used by researchers today. From 1982 until 1994, Havens acted as Provincial Gerontologist for Manitoba Health. From 1990 until 1994, she was Assistant Deputy Minister for Manitoba Health. In 1992, Havens was Associate Professor in the Department of Community Health Sciences at the University of Manitoba. From 1992 until her death in 2005, Havens was Research Associate for the Centre for Health Policy and Evaluation, University of Manitoba. Concurrently, she was Professional Associate, Centre on Aging. In 1994, Havens became Professor in the Department of Community Health Sciences at the University of Manitoba, a position she held until her death in 2005. Havens wrote numerous articles throughout her career and was the recipient of several awards and distinctions including the YWCA Professional Woman of the Year. In 1994, she received a D.Litt. from the University of Waterloo. In 1997, she was made a senior scholar at the University of Manitoba and in 2005 she was the recipient of the Order of Canada. Havens died March 1, 2005.

John Hirsch

  • hirsh_j
  • Person
  • 1949-1973

John Hirsch was born in Hungary in 1930. He came to Canada in 1947 at age 17 through the War Orphans Project of the Canadian Jewish Congress. This project worked with children under 18 who had survived the Holocaust but no longer had an adult to act as guardian. He was taken in by Alex and Pauline Shack, and their daughter Sybil, in Winnipeg and continued a close relationship with the family throughout his life.

In 1952, Hirsch graduated with a BA in English literature from the University of Manitoba. He established a puppet theatre before co-founding Theatre 77 with Tom Hendry in 1957. In 1958, Hirsch and Hendry amalgamated Theatre 77 with Winnipeg Little Theatre into the Manitoba Theatre Centre (MTC). This theatre became the model for regional theatre through Canada and the United States. Hirsch was the first artistic director of MTC and stayed until 1966 when he then became co-artistic director at the Stratford Festival from 1967-1969. From 1974-1978, he was head of CBC’s television drama. Hirsch was consulting artistic director at the Seattle Repertory Theatre from 1979-1981. He returned to the Stratford Festival as artistic director from 1981-1985.

Hirsch is recognized as one of Canada’s most prominent theatre directors. He was awarded the Order of Canada in 1967. He also received Obie, Outer Circle Critics' and Los Angeles Drama Critics' Circle Awards for his productions in the United States. The John Hirsch Award for Most Promising Manitoba Writer was established by the Manitoba Foundation for the Arts in 1989 to honour him.

Hirsch died on August 1, 1989 in Toronto after being ill with AIDS.

Holt, Simma

  • holt_s
  • Person
  • 1922-2015

Simma Holt (née Milner) was born March 27, 1922 in Vegreville, Alberta. She attended the University of Manitoba from 1941-1944, graduating with majors in English and Psychology.
During her time at the University, she was the first female managing editor of the student newspaper The Manitoban and was also a university reporter for the Winnipeg Free Press. Upon graduation in 1944, she began working as a teletype operator and reporter for the Canadian Press in Calgary. In the autumn of 1944, at age twenty-two, she began her thirty-year journalism career with the Vancouver Sun.

She married Leon Holt, a freelance photographer and later high school teacher in 1949. They were married for thirty-seven years, until his death in 1985.

In 1974, Simma Holt left the Vancouver Sun to successfully run as the Liberal member of Parliament for Vancouver-Kingsway. Holt was the first Jewish woman in Canadian history to be elected to Parliament. She sat for one term losing her seat in 1979. During her time in Parliament, she was Vice-Chair of the Standing Committee on Justice and a member of its subcommittee on the Penitentiary System. She was also a member of several Standing Committees: Broadcasting, Films and Assistance to the Arts; Privileges and Elections; Labour, Manpower and Immigration; National Resources and Public Works; Procedure and Organization; Transport and Communications; Finance, Trade and Economic Affairs; and Health, Welfare and Social Affairs.

In 1976, while still an MP, she became an occasional columnist for the Toronto Sun. Holt became a columnist for Ottawa Sun and Vancouver Business. She also was a freelance writer for Reader's Digest, Maclean’s, Fairlady in South Africa, Chatelaine and other magazines. Holt wrote four books: Terror in the Name of God: The Story of the Sons of Freedom (1965), Sex and the Teen Age Revolution (1967), The Devil's Butler (1971), The Other Mrs. Diefenbaker (1983), and Memoirs of a Loose Cannon (2008).

From 1981 to 1985, Holt was a member of the National Parole Board. She also acted as a researcher and writer in the presidential campaign of George Bush from 1987 to 1988, although later quit as she did not agree with Republican politics.

Holt was the recipient of numerous awards. In 1964 she was named Women of the Year for Canada in Arts and Letters for her book Terror in the Name of God. She was awarded, in 1969, the Jubilee Award by the University of Manitoba Alumni Association in recognition of her “distinguished achievement” in the 25 years since her graduation. The following year she won the Bowater Award of Merit in the sociological division for her series of articles on changing morality and sociological upheaval of teenagers. In 1985, she was a nominee for the Vancouver YWCA Women of Distinction award. She was inducted into the Canadian Newspaper Hall of Fame in 1996 and that same year she also was appointed a member of the Order of Canada. Her Order of Canada citation included the recognition that “she has demonstrated a lifetime commitment to assisting those suffering from injustice, persecution and poverty. Her perceptive and impassioned writings have contributed to positive social change by raising public awareness of injustices in society.” In 2002, she received a Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal for her contribution to public life.

Simma Holt passed away in Burnaby, BC on January 23, 2015.

Imich, Alexander

  • imich_alex
  • Person
  • 1903-2014

Alexander Imich was born in Częstochowa, Poland (then part of the Russian Empire), in 1903. As a child, Imich was a voluminous reader and especially enjoyed the works of Jack London and Joseph Conrad. He pictured himself as an adventurer and as such, decided that his calling was to be a sea captain. To accomplish this dream, he entered Marine School, but had difficulty overcoming the constraints which anti-Semitism put on him. One instructor, for example, declared that any Jews he took with him on his vessel would be left in the middle of the Atlantic. Imich decided a career change was in order. He developed a strong affinity for the natural world and as such, he went to Krakow to study Zoology at Jagiellonian University in 1920.

During his university career, anti-Semitism once again plagued Imich’s aspirations as some of the faculty did everything in their power to hold him back including forcing him to study in English, a language he spoke none of at the time, and assigning him a topic for his doctoral work that had already been covered by a previous doctoral student, thus making his dissertation very likely to be dismissed. Nonetheless, Imich was able to overcome these obstacles and obtain his doctorate in 1927, his dissertation being deemed “good enough”.

While at Jagiellonian, Imich fell in love with a chemistry student named Genia Mendelsohn, who eventually became his wife. While they were married, Imich worked in his father-in-law’s factory while Genia worked to become a painter. Imich’s life was shattered when Genia suddenly disappeared with her art instructor, only to turn up weeks later, her mental health decayed to the point that her father was in the process of committing her to an asylum near Warsaw. Genia spent several months in the asylum and Imich visited her regularly. Nonetheless, the incident irreparably damaged their relationship and they were divorced soon after Genia’s release.

While visiting Genia at the asylum, Imich met and fell in love with a young lawyer named Wela Katzenellenbogen who he married in 1936. Wela came from a very old German-Jewish family that included Karl Marx, Felix Mendelssohn, David Halberstam and Martin Buber. During World War II, both Imich and Wela were interred in a Russian labour camp near the White Sea for two years, but were liberated following the German attack on Russia in 1941. Imich and Wela managed to escape the brunt of the war’s horrors by relocating to Samarkand, Uzbekistan from 1942-1947. They returned to Poland to find that their parents and various members of their extended family had died in concentration camps. After this, Imich and Wela moved to France where Imich had a brother. In 1952 they moved to the United States, first to Upper Black Eddy, Pennsylvania and then to New York, dividing their week between the two cities.

To make a living, Imich initially took up chemistry, but once Wela made for herself a career as a psychologist in 1965, Imich turned to his real passion: parapsychology. Imich had been interested in the paranormal since childhood. By 13, Imich was dabbling with table tilting and with Ouija boards. As early as 1932, Imich published an article in the German parapsychology journal Zeitschrift für Parapsychologie that explained his encounters with a Matylda S. who was among the first psychics Imich encountered. While living in France, Imich began interacting with a network of mystics, yogis and gurus, particularly via the Ramakrisha Vivekananda Order, an organization that dealt in yogic philosophy.

In New York, Imich met medium Eileen J. Garrett and proposed to her an international meeting of parapsychologists, an idea that meshed with the Parapsychology Foundation’s First International Conference of Parapsychological Studies that Garrett had in the works and that took place in Utrecht, Holland, in 1953. For the rest of his life, Imich remained active in parapsychology, attending some conferences, delivering speeches at others and judging parapsychology-themed essay contests. He edited the book Incredible Tales of the Paranormal in 1995, entered the IM School of Healing Arts in New York, graduating two years later with the title “Reverend”, and in 1999, founded the Anomalous Phenomena Research Center (APRC) which sought to advance parapsychology through research and demonstration. Wela passed away in 1986, but Imich continued to live in the same apartment that they had rented in 1965.

Imich passed away on June 8, 2014, shortly after being named the oldest man in the world at the age of 111 in April 2014.

Indigenous Languages of Rupert's Land

  • indigenouslanguagesrl
  • Corporate body
  • 196?-198?

The purpose of the Indigenous Languages of Rupert's Land Collection was to preserve material related to the Indigenous languages in Canada, which are not normally retained in the general library collection, in order to meet the instructional needs of the University of Manitoba Department of Linguistics, and the Native Languages program of the Department of Native Studies. One copy of each title was retained. The language families included were Algonquian, Athapaskan, Inuit-Aleut, and Siouan.

Johnston, George

  • johnston_g
  • Person
  • 1886-1973

George Johnston was born in County Tipperary, Ireland, in 1886 and immigrated to Canada in 1906. In Winnipeg Johnston worked for the T. Eaton Company (1906-1908), the Canadian Pacific Railway (1908-1951), and the Searle Grain Company (1951-1961).

From 1907 to 1909 he was a member of the 90th Battalion, (Royal) Winnipeg Rifles, and was part of the unit’s contingent attending Quebec’s Tercentenary Celebrations in 1908. During the First World War he served in Europe with the 12th Canadian Field Ambulance unit from April 1916 to May 1919. After the war, he was actively involved in the 12th Field Ambulance Association (1920-1970), serving as its president in 1965; worshipped at St. Mark’s Anglican Church in St. Vital (1927-1970); belonged to the Ancient Order of Foresters; and was a member of the St. John’s Ambulance Association.

George Johnston passed away in 1973. Predeceased by his wife, he was survived by a daughter, a son, and two brothers in Ireland and England.

Keystone Agricultural Producers

  • kap
  • Corporate body
  • 1984-

Keystone Agricultural Producers is a democratically controlled farm lobby organization which represents and promotes the interests of agriculture and agricultural producers in Manitoba. It is a grassroots organization wholly run and funded by its members, with all policy set by producers throughout Manitoba. KAP has standing policies on a variety of issues including Safety Net Programs, Western Grain Marketing, Land and Resource Use, Taxation, Environment and Sustainability, Livestock Manure Management Strategy, Farm Labour, Health and Safety, Affiliations, Farm Inputs and Finance, Transportation, Government Services, Property Rights and Wildlife Resources and Trade. Policy is set by delegates and directors elected from individual and group members. Close to twenty committees, comprised of members and the President (ex officio), research a number of issues and report back to the executive and the General Council. Both the elected executive and management are responsible for implementing policy in the best interests of the members. Its mission is to be Manitoba's most effective, democratic policy voice, while promoting the social, physical and cultural well being of all agricultural producers.

King, John M.

  • king_j
  • Person
  • 1829-1899

John M. King was born in Yitholm, Scotland in 1829. While still quite young, he enrolled at the University of Edinburgh where he studied mathematics, philosophy, and theology graduating with an M.A. in 1856. After furthering his theological studies at the University of Halle in Germany, he came to Canada to take up Presbyterian ministries in Galt, Ingersoll, Columbus and Whitby, Ontario (then known as Canada West). He was appointed minister of Gould Street in 1863, which then became St. James Square Church in Toronto in 1879. In 1873, King married Janet Macpherson Skinner, who operated with her sister a school for young women. In 1882, King received the degree of D.D. (Doctor of Divinity) from Knox College.

While serving as moderator of the General Assembly in 1883, he accepted the position of first principal and professor of theology at Manitoba College in Winnipeg, forerunner of the University of Winnipeg. In 1886, King's wife and son died. King made a memorial window for his wife in the convocation hall of Manitoba College (the window was later moved to Bryce Hall). King lived in Winnipeg until his death in 1899. He was widely-known and highly regarded as a leading Presbyterian theologian, educator and administrator. His daughter, Helen, married the Reverend Charles William Gordon (Ralph Connor). For more information, please see Box 14, folder 12.

Klymasz, Robert Bohdan

  • klymasz_rb
  • Person
  • 1936-

Dr. Robert Bohdan Klymasz was born in Toronto, Ontario in 1936. In 1957, he obtained a B.A. from the University of Toronto, and later studied at the University of Manitoba (M.A., 1960), Harvard University (1960-1962), Charles University, Prague (1962), and Indiana University in Bloomington (Ph.D., 1971). His doctoral dissertation “Ukrainian Folklore in Canada: an Immigrant Complex in Transition” was supervised by Richard M. Dorson. He married Shirley Zaporzan in 1963, and they had two daughters, Andrea and Lara. In 1967, he joined the Canadian Museum of Civilization and served as its first programme director for Slavic and East European Studies. Throughout his career, he has held several prestigious positions, including the executive director of the Ukrainian Cultural and Educational Centre (Oseredok) in Winnipeg, visiting associate professor in Folklore at Memorial University's Department of Folklore, visiting professor in Folklore and Slavic Studies at the University of California at Los Angeles, and visiting scholar at Harvard Divinity School.

In 1993, as a curator with the Museum of Civilization, Dr. Klymasz began a comprehensive study on community life in Gimli, Manitoba. Fieldwork on this project began in 1993 and continued on an annual basis every summer until the summer of 2001. The project, which became known as the Gimli Community Research Project (G.C.R.P.), was meant to offer insight on what makes the Town of Gimli a safe and prosperous town in which to live. The early work was low-key in nature, focusing on the town's life and culture, for example, attending meetings of the town's council, various public forums, proceedings of the local public law court, and meetings of the Board for the New Iceland Heritage Museum. Gradually, the fieldwork shifted to monitoring phenomena that gave Gimli its "dreamtown" quality. The final report was completed in 2002 and was entitled ""Dream Town": Art and the Celebration of Place in Gimli, Manitoba."

Upon his retirement in 2000, he was named Curator Emeritus with the Canadian Museum of Civilization. Dr. Klymasz is a renowned expert on Ukrainian Canadian folklore, having extensively written, published, and lectured on this subject. His publications include An Introduction to the Ukrainian-Canadian Folksong Cycle (1970), Ukrainian Folklore in Canada (1980), 'Svieto': Celebrating Ukrainian-Canadian Ritual in East Central Alberta Through the Generations (1992), and The Icon in Canada (1996). Dr. Klymasz also published numerous articles in scholarly journals, and many reviews of books and exhibitions in Canada's Ukrainian and Icelandic ethnic press. He continues to pursue his recent interests with grants from the University of Alberta (CIUS) and the University of Manitoba (CUCS).

Dr. Klymasz was awarded the Marius-Barbeau Prize by the Folklore Studies Association of Canada (Laval University) for his studies in Ukrainian Canadian Folklore. In 2005, he completed the Archival Research Project on Walter Klymkiw, the conductor of Koshetz Choir, titled "Playing around with Choir": the Correspondence and Papers of Walter P. Klymkiw. The manuscript is held at the University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections. Between 2006 and 2012 he completed several archival research projects including “A priest, a maestro, a community: epistolary insights into the music culture of Winnipeg's Ukrainian community, 1936-1944” (2006-2007), “Winnipeg Papers on Ukrainian Music” (2008), “Nuggets from the past: quotations on the Ukrainian experience in Canada” (2007), “Winnipeg Papers on Ukrainian Book Culture” (2009), and “Winnipeg Papers No. 5 “Cossacks and Indians? Encounters, Abductions, Guilt, Ballads and Empathy on the Prairie and Beyond” (2012). The manuscripts are held at the University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections. In 2013 a Ukrainian translation of Klymasz's 1971 Indiana University PhD dissertation was published in Ukrainian, under the title, 'Ukrains'ka narodna kul'tura v kanads'kykh preriiakh' (Kyiv: Duliby, 2013).

Klymkiw Family

  • klymkiwfamily
  • Family
  • 1926-2000

Walter (Volodymyr) Klymkiw was born in the village of Saranchuky, Ternopil’ province in what was then eastern Poland (now Ukraine) in 1926. Emigrating to Canada in 1928, he and his parents settled in Winnipeg. In 1950, he earned a B.A. in English and History at the University of British Columbia. He returned a year later to Winnipeg and received a teaching certificate from the University of Manitoba. In 1951, he began conducting the Ukrainian National Federation Choir (renamed the Olexander Koshetz Choir in 1967) of Winnipeg, under the guidance of Tetiana Koshetz and Pavlo Macenko. His love of Ukrainian music was fostered back in the mid-1940s, when he attended the Ukrainian Cultural and Educational Centre's Summer Music Courses conducted by the legendary Ukrainian Musicologist, Olexander Koshetz (Oleksander Koshyts'). In 1952, Klymkiw married Mary (Marusia) Kopychansky and had two sons: Myroslaw (Slawko) and Paul. Upon receiving his teaching certificate, Klymkiw began his career as a history teacher, in 1953, at Glenwood Junior High School in the St. Vital school division in Winnipeg. In 1961, he was appointed principal of Hastings Elementary and Junior High School, a position which he held until 1979. In 1979, he returned to Glenwood Junior High School where he served as its principal until 1983. In 1983, he was appointed music supervisor and served in this capacity until retiring later that year.

Retirement allowed Klymkiw to devote more time to being the choral director of the Olexander Koshetz Choir. During his nearly fifty years with the choir, Klymkiw and his choir toured throughout Canada, Ukraine, Poland, the Czech Republic, Western Europe, and South America. The choir went on to record two CDs, nine cassettes, and six records. For nearly half a century, he maintained and developed contacts with Ukraine's composers and artists. He fostered a special relationship with Anatoli Avdievsky (Anatolii Adiievs'kii), director of the world renowned Ver'ovka (Veriovka) Ukrainian State Folk Choir, a relationship which led to Ver'ovka's first Canadian tour in 1981. Besides his choir, Klymkiw and his wife devoted much of their time to various community activities including the Ukrainian National Federation (national and St. Boniface branch) and the Ukrainian Cultural and Educational Centre, Oseredok. They were involved in various commercial ventures including the Ukrainian House of Gifts, DK Attractions Ltd., and Canimplex Ltd. The latter two ventures involved bringing in various musical artists and groups from Ukraine to perform concerts for Canadian audiences. In recognition of his cultural achievements and contributions, Klymkiw received the Shevchenko Medal from the Ukrainian Canadian Congress, the Osvita Foundation Award, a Certificate of Merit from the federal Minister of Multiculturalism and Citizenship, and an honourary Doctor of Canon Law Degree from St. Andrew's College of the University of Manitoba. In 1992, Klymkiw and the Olexander Koshetz Choir were awarded the Taras Shevchenko Medal from the government of Ukraine, the first such honour given to an individual or group outside of the country. In 1999, the Olexander Koshetz Choir paid tribute to Klymkiw with an evening gala for his lifetime devotion to Ukrainian culture and music in Canada. They honoured him by establishing the Walter Klymkiw Endowment Fund at the University of Manitoba School of Music and Music Education. In December 2000, after a lengthy battle with cancer, Walter Klymkiw died at the age of seventy-four in Winnipeg.

Knysh, George D.

  • knysh_g
  • Person
  • 1940-

George Dmytro Knysh, a retired associate professor in the Department of Political Studies at the University of Manitoba, is the son of the prominent Ukrainian political and community activist and author, Zynovii Knysh (1906-1999), and Irena Knysh (1909-2000), a journalist and the author of many books on the Ukrainian women's movement. He was born on October 8, 1940 in Cracow, Poland and received his Canadian citizenship in 1955. George Knysh graduated from the University of Manitoba with a B.A. in Latin Philosophy (1959) and an M.A. (1962) in Political Science. In 1968, he obtained a Ph.D. from the London School of Economics for his dissertation “Political Authority as Property and Trusteeship in the Works of William of Ockham”. He is a recipient of the Snider Memorial Fellowship (1962) and the Canada Council Fellowship (1970-1971). His articles and reviews on Ockham have appeared in Franciscan Studies, The Catholic Historical Review, Speculum: A Journal of Medieval Studies and other scholarly journals.

George Knysh is well known for his booklet Combat Correspondence: Selected Epistolary Confrontations on the Question of Ukrainian Identity published in Winnipeg in 1971. He has also published scholarly articles and brief monographs on Ukrainian Christianity and Ukraine in Mediaeval times, including “Eastern Slavs and the Christian Millennium of 1988” (1987); “The Methodian roots of mediaeval Ukrainian Christianity” (1989); “Rus’ and Ukraine in Mediaeval times” (1991); “Taiemnytsia pochatkovoi Rusy v Kyievi” (1991); and an edited version of Leonid Bilets’kyi’s “Rus'ka Pravda i istoriia ii tekstu” (1993). Most of these titles were published by the Ukrainian Free Academy of Sciences (UVAN) in Winnipeg.
By publishing the book U 90-littia Zynoviia Knysha (1996), he honoured his father's Ukrainian patriotism. His book Michael Sherbinin in Winnipeg: a preliminary study (1994) paid tribute to the well-known philanthropist, scholar, and theologian. George Knysh has also written many articles for various Ukrainian newspapers and publications of the Ukrainian Historical Association.

As a historian and political analyst, he is a member of many academic institutions including the Canadian Political Science Association, the Mediaeval Academy of America, and the New York Academy of Science. Dr. George Knysh is fluent in many languages including Ukrainian, French, Polish, Russian, and Latin. He is currently working on Irena Knysh's correspondence regarding her numerous publications.

Knysh, Irena

  • knysh_i
  • Person
  • 1909-2006

Irena Knysh was a feminist, journalist, and author of many books on the Ukrainian women’s movement. She is well known among the Ukrainian Diaspora in Canada and America, as well as in Ukraine. Irena Knysh was born on April 20, 1909 in Lviv, (then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, now Ukraine) to Dmytro and Anastazia Shkvarok. In 1933, she graduated from Lviv University with a Master’s degree in Philosophy. She was fluent in many languages including Ukrainian, Polish, French, German, and English. After her graduation, she became an instructor of linguistics and taught at various secondary schools in Lviv and Przemyśl (Peremyshl’). During the 1930s, she collaborated with the Ukrainian Military Organization (UVO) and Ukrainian Organization of Nationalists (OUN). In 1939, she married Zynovii Knysh, a political and community activist. Her son, George Knysh, was born in 1940. During the Second World War, the family lived in Cracow, Lviv, and Austria. After the war they moved to France, where Irena Knysh became the Head of the Ukrainian Women’s Alliance in France.

In 1950, she immigrated to Winnipeg and worked as a journalist for various Ukrainian newspapers including Kanadiis’kyi Farmer, Novyi shliakh, Zhinochyi Svit, Promin, and Ukrains’kyi Holos in Canada; Svoboda, Samostiina Ukraina, and Nashe Zhyttia in the United States; and Ukrains’ke Slovo in France. She wrote extensively on the Ukrainian women’s movement. Her books are also well known in Ukraine. Her major works include Na sluzhbi ridnoho narodu: iuvileinyi zbirnyk Orhanizatsii Ukrainok Kanady im. Ol’hy Basarab (Jubilee Collection of the UWOC) (1955), Ivan Franko ta rivnopravnist’ zhinky (Ivan Franko and Equal Rights for Women) (1956), Smoloskyp u temriavi (Torch in the Darkness) (1957), Patriotyzm Anny Ionker (The Patriotism of Anna Jonker) (1964), Zhinka vchora i s’ohodni (Collection of articles published in various Ukrainian newspapers) (1964), Nezabutnia Ol’ha Basarab (Unforgettable Olha Basarab) (1976), and Try rovesnytsi, 1860-1960 (Three Ukrainian Contemporaries) (1966).

Irena Knysh was one of the first Ukrainian-Canadian women to be included in the Ukrainian Literary Encyclopaedia (Kyiv, 1990). She visited Ukraine in 1970 and her book, Vich-na-vich iz Ukrainoiu (1970), was a reflection of her journey. After Ukrainian independence in 1991, she was elected a member of the Ukrainian Women’s Alliance in Lviv, Ukraine (2005) and in her honour a scientific conference took place on June 4, 2005. Irena Knysh passed away on May 11, 2006.

Konantz, Margaret

  • konantz_m
  • Person
  • 1899-1967

Margaret McTavish Konantz was born Margaret McTavish Rogers in 1899, the daughter of Robert Arthur Rogers and Edith McTavish Rogers. Her father, who had been a successful private banker in Parkhill, Ontario, moved to Winnipeg in 1890 where he established a wholesale produce company. Fifteen years later, he opened the Crescent Creamery Company which he operated successfully until his death. Her mother was the daughter of Donald McTavish and Lydia Catherine Christie (who was Métis). Margaret Konantz's great-grandparents were Betsy Sinclair (who was Métis) and Sir George Simpson, Governor-in-Chief of the Hudson's Bay Company Territories from 1839 to 1860. In 1920 Edith Rogers was elected to the Provincial Legislative Assembly, thereby becoming the first woman in Manitoba to hold such a position. She was an MLA from 1920 to 1932.

Margaret Konantz grew up at 64 Nassau Street in south Winnipeg. She attended the Model School, Bishop Strachan School and Havergal College in Toronto. After completing her studies at Bishop Strachan School, she attended Miss Spence's School in New York. In 1922 she married Gordon Konantz, an American who, after serving with the forces in France, moved to Winnipeg. They had three children, Barbara, William and Gordon.

In the late 1920s Margaret Konantz began collecting books for the Winnipeg Hospital Aid Society, thus initiating a career of service which was to continue throughout her life. She was a founding member of the Junior League of Winnipeg and eventually became a major fund-raiser for that organization. She was President of the Junior League from 1928 to 1930. During this time she was instrumental in organizing the Junior League Thrift Shop, and subsequently served on its board. Through the years she held many offices with the following volunteer organizations: Winnipeg General Hospital; White Cross Guild; Convalescent Hospital; Crippled Children’s Society; Community Chest of Greater Winnipeg; Junior League of Winnipeg; International Junior League Association; Central Volunteer Bureau; Council of Social Agencies; Canadian Welfare Council; and the Canadian Centenary Committee.

With the outbreak of World War II, Margaret Konantz became even more involved with volunteer work. She organized the Patriotic Salvage Corps, Bundles for Britain and the Women's Volunteer Services in Western Canada. Because of her intense involvement with the war effort in Canada, she was chosen as one of a team of four women sent to Britain in 1944 by the Canadian Government to participate in the work of the Women's Voluntary Service.

Shortly afterwards, in 1946, she was awarded the Order of the British Empire for her outstanding contributions in this area. Deeply impressed with the W.V.S and the work it was doing in war-torn England, she wrote a lengthy report on the W.V.S. for the Canadian government on returning to Canada. This later became a handbook for the Women's Volunteer Service. After the death of her husband in 1954, Margaret Konantz embarked on a series of extensive tours to foreign countries. During her travels in South America she wrote descriptive letters rich in detail and local colour. In the winter of 1955 she was invited by Lady Stella Reading, Chairman of the W.V.S. in Britain, to visit England to observe and work with the W.V.S.

On her return, she decided to devote her energies to the United Nations to work in the interest of international peace. In accordance with her desire to study the activities of the United Nations at first hand, she spent three months in 1957 touring the Asian region of UNICEF, visiting the following countries: Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, The Philippines, Thailand, Cambodia, India, Pakistan, Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan and Israel. Following the tour, she traveled throughout Canada speaking to various organizations about the activities of the United Nations. In 1960 she became Chairman for the Manitoba Committee for Refugee Year, which raised $127,000 to help clear a refugee camp in West Germany. In 1961, she spent four months travelling throughout parts of Africa to observe UNICEF activities.

In 1962, she decided to become a candidate for federal office. Convinced that she could make a significant contribution, she later wrote, "Between the years 1956 and 1961 I had found that our image abroad had deteriorated to such an extent that I was anxious to do anything I could to serve my country." As a candidate for the Liberal Party, she lost her first election in 1962 by 392 votes, but won the following year in the riding of Winnipeg South. Her platform included the expansion of technical schools and of retraining programs for workers and the provision of additional financial aid for students. She wanted Winnipeg to participate more prominently on the national scene and to see Canada more active in international affairs. Konantz was the first female M.P. from Manitoba and one of the four women elected that year.

In 1963, she was appointed to the 18th General Assembly of the United Nations Third Committee on Social, Economic and Humanitarian Problems. In this capacity she helped formulate a declaration regarding the elimination of racial discrimination. Two years later, she was again chosen as a UN delegate. In August of 1963, as part of her parliamentary duties, she toured some of the reserves of Northern Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta and British Columbia.

She lost her bid to win a second term as M.P. for Winnipeg South in 1965, but looked on this defeat as an opportunity to devote more time to her United Nations activities. She was National Vice-Chairman for the Canadian Committee of UNICEF from 1959 to 1965, and in 1965 was elected National Chairman. In that capacity she represented Canada at the Nobel Peace Prize ceremonies in Oslo, Norway, during which UNICEF was awarded a Nobel prize. She spent most of the next eighteen months travelling abroad. In 1965, she went to Guyana to participate in the twinning of their capital city with Ottawa as part of the ceremonies of the International Year of Co-operation. The following year she traveled to Turkey and Tunisia to study developing countries which had initiated self-help programs with UNICEF. She also visited England and Ireland. After returning, she again toured the country speaking to various groups and organizations in support of the United Nations. During a speaking engagement in the Maritime provinces, she suffered a heart attack and died in May 1967.

Results 1 to 30 of 145