Faculty of Engineering Council
Faculty of Engineering Council
Department of Internal Medicine
From 1883-1919 there were two sections called "Medicine" and "Clinical Medicine"
The department of internal medicine is the largest academic program of the Faculty of Medicine and supports tertiary and quaternary care medicine for the entire Province of Manitoba Canada as well as parts of the Northwest Territories and Northern Ontario.
The Ombudsman's Office was originally established by the Board of Governors in 1981 as an independent office to act on on behalf of students, faculty, support staff, and administrators in matters dealing with violation of University policy, personnel relations, or matters not in the purview of Equity Services, Student Advocacy Offices, or covered by collective agreements.
The Ombudsman reported to the President of the University, but operated independently of administrative authorities. For matters involving the President, the Ombudsman reported directly to the Board of Governors.
The Ombudsman's Office was closed on June 30th, 2010.
Project Lambda was incorporated in 1978 as an apolitical agency whose objectives were to promote public understanding and acceptance of homosexuality, and to foster the personal, social and civil welfare of homosexually-oriented persons in Manitoba. Project Lamdba (sometimes operating as "Friends and Neighbors") sought to meet these objectives by providing and disseminating, through publications, lectures, discussion groups and counselling services, accurate information about homosexuality. It provided, through libraries, reading rooms and data files, educational facilities concerning the relationships between homosexually-oriented persons and their society, their families, their peers, contemporary institutions, etc. In addition, the organization helped establish a forum for the examination and amelioration of the personal, medical, legal and recreational needs of the homosexual community. In 1982, after years of fundraising, Project Lambda and the Oscar Wilde Memorial Society opened Giovanni's Room on the second floor of 275 Sherbrook Street.
Undergraduate Medical Education
Aging in Manitoba Longitudinal Study
The Aging in Manitoba Longitudinal Study began in 1971 under the direction of Dr. Betty Havens, and was initially run through Manitoba Health and then through the University of Manitoba. It was funded by the provincial and federal governments. A.I.M. was a large-scale longitudinal panel study of older adults in Manitoba that included nearly 9000 participants throughout the province. The design of the study included three independent cross-sectional samples that were conducted in 1971, 1976, and 1983. These samples were subsequently followed in 1983-1984, 1990, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2005, and 2006. The interviews collected information on socio-demographic, social psychological, physical and mental health status and functioning, economics, leisure activities, care and support networks and consumption of services. Overall, A.I.M provided both cross-sectional and longitudinal data that represent 30 years of research on the experience of aging for older Manitobans. Research using A.I.M data has addressed such issues as social isolation and loneliness, self-perceived financial security, self-perceived health status, use of physical services, successful aging, formal and informal social support and care, and sample mortality. Dr. Betty Havens was the director and principal investigator of the Aging in Manitoba study from its inception in 1971 to her death in 2005, whereupon leadership of the study passed to Dr. Barbara Payne. The Aging in Manitoba Longitudinal Study concluded in 2007.
Association of Universities and Colleges in Canada
The Association of Universities and Colleges in Canada (AUCC) is a national non-governmental, not-for-profit organization that is funded through membership fees and revenues from publications and contract management services. The AUCC represents 93 Canadian public and private not-for-profit universities and university colleges. The AUCC provides a forum for discussion and a framework for action at the federal level, and facilitates the development of public policy on higher education. It was founded in 1911 and its membership ranges from small, undergraduate liberals arts institutions to large, multi-campus universities offering a broad selection of undergraduate, graduate and professional programs. The activities of AUCC are coordinated by its secretariat, located in Ottawa.
The Faculty of Medicine Research Department consists of an Associate Dean and an Assistant Dean.
Canadian Association of Law Libraries
The roots of the Canadian Association of Law Libraries (C.A.L.L.) date back to the late 1950s. Several Canadian law librarians began to meet informally at the American Association of Law Libraries (A.A.L.L.) annual conference to discuss matters of interest. On July 5, 1963, C.A.L.L. became a formal association with its own Constitution and By-Laws. That same year, C.A.L.L. joined A.A.L.L. as an official chapter, with whom it remained affiliated until 1971. The first President of C.A.L.L. was Marianne Scott, with Eunice Beeson acting as Vice-President and Rosemary McCormick serving as Secretary. Future developments in law libraries across the nation, coupled with an increased level of interest amongst law librarians, led to the independent association that functions today. Currently, C.A.L.L. boasts approximately 500 members who represent a wide variety of law library interests throughout Canada. The Association serves as a forum for the dissemination of information and ideas, fosters cooperation among law libraries across the nation and plays an active role in promoting access to legal information for all Canadians.
C.A.L.L. is incorporated as a federal corporation without share capital under Part II of the Corporations Act. The objectives of the Canadian Association of Law Libraries are: to promote law librarianship, to develop and increase the usefulness of Canadian law libraries and to foster a spirit of co-operation among them; to provide a forum for meetings of persons engaged or interested in law library work and to encourage professional self-development; and to co-operate with other organizations which tend to promote the objects of the Association or the interest of its members.
Canadian Public Relations Society
The Canadian Public Relations Society (CPRS) is a representative organization of people in public relations in Canada. In 1987, the CPRS consisted of eleven affiliated chapters across Canada with a total membership of over 1,500 people. In 2007, it had grown to include sixteen member societies. Its objectives are to become the focal point for professional development, a forum for the discussion of mutual interests and problems, and a medium to deal with concerns, quality, and direction of public relations activity in Canada. The CPRS is governed by a national body in which each member society has representation. The national body co-ordinates society activities. The Manitoba Chapter offers a series of programmes, workshops, and conferences geared to inform members of trends, ideas, and processes that are likely to be of importance to the public relations function.
The Canadian Wheat Board was created in 1919, as a result of the need to secure a price for Canadian Wheat in domestic and international markets. During the war years the prices for Canadian wheat had been fixed. James Stewart, appointed commissioner of the Wheat Board, secured an optimum price for wheat on behalf of Canadian farmers.
Carman District Farm Business Association
The Carman District Farm Business Association (CDFBA) is a non-profit farm organization. The CDFBA was formed in 1957 to improve business management. Jack Hudson of the University of Manitoba Agricultural Economics Department was hired to help members improve their management skills. The University of Manitoba collected data on farm economics for over ten years. In 1972 CDFBA joined Western Manitoba Farm Business Association and South West Farm Business Association to form the Manitoba Farm Business Association. CDFBA was a member of the Canadian Grains Council and Manitoba Farm Bureau, and was instrumental in planning agriculture policies.
Churches of Winnipeg and their Pastors
Winnipeg has had a rich history of churches since the establishment of the Red River Settlement. Among the numerous religions that have operated churches in Winnipeg, and that are featured in this collection, are Catholic, Anglican, Lutheran, Baptist, and Seventh Day Adventist.
Co-operative Vegetable Oils Ltd.
Co-operative Vegetable Oils Ltd. (CVO) was established in Altona, Manitoba in 1943 under the direction of J.J. Siemens. Siemens was an active member in the Mennonite community having been both a school teacher and a farmer. Siemens was also part of the Rhineland Agricultural Society (est. 1931) which was established to develop better agricultural practices--especially through education and experimentation. Equally important was Siemens' belief in the co-operative movement, most notably the development of various Credit Unions.
CVO was established largely because Second World War Canadian imports of edible vegetable oils (from Russia and Argentina) were noticeably reduced, creating a need for domestic production. To support the domestic industry, the Federal Government offered incentives such as price subsidies, transportation subsidies and facilities for processing the crop in Hamilton, Ontario. Although the 1943 crop was shipped to Hamilton, the high costs of long distance transportation of sunflowers - the principle oilseed crop - proved discouraging. Consequently, with a view to the future when these subsidies would be lifted, CVO chose a local processing plant. This scheme, half-heartedly endorsed by the Provincial Government, satisfied the needs of the local community, which backed the project enthusiastically. The Altona plant was to cost a projected $60,000, half of which would be raised from private funds, with the remainder coming from guaranteed loans from the Provincial Government. The community eagerly threw its support behind the plant because it offered long-term economic growth and stability. As farming became increasingly mechanised, farm labour diminished leaving little employment for the young. This affected the close-knit structure of the Mennonite family. Furthermore, wheat prices had not increased significantly since the Depression, and the family farm was suffering. However, the CVO plant provided jobs for locals and an outlet for the alternative crop, the sunflower; it added soybeans and canola in the 1950s.
CVO's list of achievements include: the development of Safflo oil as its first consumer product in 1949, the first oilseed crushing plant in Canada, the first company to commercially process sunflowers in North America, the first North American company to process pure sunflower-based cooking oil, and a strong role in the development of canola as an "oilseed". To meet growing needs, CVO officially merged with Manitoba Pool Elevators April 1, 1975, and called itself CSP Foods. CanAmera Foods purchased CSP Foods 20 March 1992.
Dickens Fellowship. Winnipeg Branch
The Dickens Fellowship was founded in London, England in 1902, for the appreciation and public reading of the works of Charles Dickens. The Winnipeg Branch was founded in 1905, and ceased to exist some time after 1966. The Toronto and Victoria branches were founded in 1905 and 1931 respectively. At the time of the creation of this fonds, the Toronto and Victoria branches were operating.
Church of England. Diocese of Rupert's Land
In 1820 the Anglican presence in Western Canada was established when the Rev. John West arrived in York Factory. He then came to Fort Douglas (now in present-day Winnipeg), which was part of the Red River Settlement, and held the first Church of England service in the colony. In 1823, a year after founding the first Anglican mission in Western Canada, the Rev. West returned to England and the Rev. David Jones came to Red River to assume his duties. Jones built St. Paul's Anglican Church in Middlechurch, east of St. Andrew's. The Red River colony continued to grow and in 1849 David Anderson was named the first bishop of the Diocese of Rupert's Land, which consisted of all lands draining into Hudson's Bay. David Anderson was born in London, England in 1814 and educated at Edinburgh and Oxford (B.A. 1836, M.A. 1839, D.D. 1849). After several curacies in England, Davidson was nominated first bishop of the Diocese of Rupert's Land, and he was consecrated in 1849. He was bishop and Hudson's Bay Company chaplain until 1864. He died in Bristol, England in 1885. Robert Machray was born in 1831 in Aberdeen, Scotland. Educated at King's College, Aberdeen, and Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge, he received prizes in mathematics, philosophy and divinity. He was ordained in 1855, served in English parishes and was dean of Sidney Sussex College from 1859-62. Machray succeeded David Anderson as bishop of Rupert's Land and he was consecrated in June 1865. During his years there he helped extend and consolidate the church's work and built up St John's College, the colony's first Anglican college. Machray became first metropolitan of the new ecclesiastical province of Rupert's Land in 1875 with the title of archbishop, and first Primate of All Canada in 1893. He died in office in Winnipeg in 1904.
In 1822, the Rev. West founded a Church Mission House near the southeast corner of the present cemetery. In 1833, it was replaced by a second church built on the site of the present Cathedral (135 Anderson Avenue). This second church became the first Anglican Cathedral in Western Canada and named St. John's Cathedral soon after the first Bishop of Rupert's Land was consecrated in 1849. The third church on this site was built in 1866. Under the guidance and inspiration of the late Archbishop Samuel P. Matheson the present building (the fourth church) was reconstructed in 1926 using most of the stone from the previous building.
Imperial Academy of Music and Arts (Winnipeg, Man.)
The Imperial Academy of Music and Arts was founded in 1909 with Professor Emil C. Erikson as Director and F.C.N. Kennedy as President. In 1910 and 1911, Dr. Ralph Horner was its Principal. The Academy was located at 44 Osborne Street in Winnipeg, Manitoba from 1909 through 1911. In 1912, its Manager was J. O'Donnell. In 1912, it was located at 290 Vaughan Street. The Academy dissolved later that year.
Intercollegiate Football Association (Winnipeg, Man.)
The Intercollegiate Football Association was an organization that administered and arranged football games between Winnipeg high schools.
Keystone Agricultural Producers
Keystone Agricultural Producers is a democratically controlled farm lobby organization which represents and promotes the interests of agriculture and agricultural producers in Manitoba. It is a grassroots organization wholly run and funded by its members, with all policy set by producers throughout Manitoba. KAP has standing policies on a variety of issues including Safety Net Programs, Western Grain Marketing, Land and Resource Use, Taxation, Environment and Sustainability, Livestock Manure Management Strategy, Farm Labour, Health and Safety, Affiliations, Farm Inputs and Finance, Transportation, Government Services, Property Rights and Wildlife Resources and Trade. Policy is set by delegates and directors elected from individual and group members. Close to twenty committees, comprised of members and the President (ex officio), research a number of issues and report back to the executive and the General Council. Both the elected executive and management are responsible for implementing policy in the best interests of the members. Its mission is to be Manitoba's most effective, democratic policy voice, while promoting the social, physical and cultural well being of all agricultural producers.
National Microbiology (Virology) Laboratory
Sports and Exercise Research Institute