Showing 1587 results

authority records

Burrows Community Hall

  • burrows
  • Corporate body
  • 1961-

The Burrows Community Hall was organized on October 3, 1961, with Charlie G. Fisher as Chairman and Grace Miner as Secretary. The Hall is available to residents of the district for social events and meetings. It is administered by a board of trustees consisting of four members elected for two year terms.

Business and Professional Women's Club of Winnipeg

  • bpwcw
  • Corporate body
  • 1924-

The Business and Professional Women's Club of Winnipeg (BPWCW) was established in 1924 to provide a forum for women professionals to meet, discuss common problems and lobby for women's issues. Issues in which the club was interested included equal pay for work of equal value, better treatment of women in the workplace, and the creation and improvement of the Canada Pension plan. The club was originally situated in downtown Winnipeg at the St. Regis Hotel, but moved in 1946 to a house at 3 Evergreen Street in the Osborne Village neighborhood of Winnipeg. In 1965, the Evergreen Clubhouse was sold and the club moved back downtown to a space above Moore's restaurant on Portage Avenue. The club is currently located on Lombard Avenue in downtown Winnipeg.

Butler, Jack

  • Person

Jack Butler was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on April 23, 1937. He received his undergraduate degree in BFA (painting and printmaking) from Carnegie Institute of Technology (now Carnegie Mellon University), in Pittsburgh in 1960. Butler also received two Master degrees. The first Master degree was a Masters of Fine Arts from the University of Illinois in 1962. He received his second Masters degree in Philosophy (philosophy of science) from the University of Western Ontario in 1998.

Butler first came to Canada in August 1962 to teach at the University of Manitoba. In 1964, he became a professor at the Edinburgh College of Art in Edinburgh, Scotland until June 1969 when Butler and his family returned to Canada.

As an artist, he uses a hybrid practice where the means and methods of visual art are used to produce research in three domains: medical science, cross-cultural collaborations with Inuit artists, and money. Jack is a licensed financial analyst and has taught at Carnegie Mellon University, the Banff Centre for the Arts, the Department of Philosophy at the University of Western Ontario, and the University of Manitoba. He also acted as a mentor for the Health Centre Technology and Place programme at the University of Toronto.

Butler, Royce

  • butler
  • Person
  • 1914-

William Royce Butler was born January 23, 1914. He was Director of Libraries and Professor of Bibliography at the University of Manitoba from 1971 to 1979. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of British Columbia in 1939, a Master of Library Science and Master of Arts degree from the University of California at Berkley in 1959, and a Master of Arts from the University of Toronto.

Butler, Sheila

  • Person

Sheila Butler was born on 1938 in Leesport, Pennsylvania. She is a visual artist and was also a professor at the University of Manitoba, the University of Winnipeg, and the University of Western Ontario. As a visual artist, Sheila’s work focuses on the human condition. Her works have been exhibited in art galleries and universities, both nationally and globally. In the late 1960s and early 1970s, Sheila, along with her husband Jack Butler served as special projects officers in the Northwest Territories where they engaged and supported Inuit artists. They were instrumental in helping create the Sanavik Co-operative in Baker Lake, Nunavut. The Sanavik Co-operative was created to allow local artists to make art, mostly prints, and sell the art in Southern Canada.

Byers, Herbert Perry

  • Person
  • 17 Sept 1860- 24 Nov 1933

Education: MD(Man)1890 (studied medicine in England 1878-82)

Positions: Practised in Lethbridge without qualifications 1884-85
Practised in Melita and Selkirk

Cadham, Frederick Todd

  • Person
  • 1881-1961

Education: MD(Man)1905; FACP1921; LLD1958

Positions: 1911-19 Demonstrator & Lecturer in Bacteriology; 1920 Asst Prof 1925; Assoc Prof; 1928-1952 Prof & Head; Prof Emeritus 1952; Dir, Prov Lab 1923-47, Board of Health Chair 1948-60

Cadham, Roper Galloway

  • Person
  • 27 July 1914-21 Apr 1988

Education: MD(Man)1938

Positions: Staff, Ninette Sanitorium 1938-39; Deputy Hlth Officer 1946; then Health Officer Wpg 1958; Asst Prof, Soc and Prev, UM 1952-

Cadoret, Remi Jere

  • Person
  • 28 Mar 1928-

Education: AB Biology(Harvard)1949; MD(Yale)1953

Positions: Asst Prof Physiology 1958
Assoc Prof Physiology 1964
Prof Psychiatry, Univ Iowa, 1974

Calgary First Spiritualist Church

  • cfsc
  • Corporate body
  • 1920-

The Calgary First Spiritualist Church (CFSC), formally incorporated on 18 November 1920, began life during WWI with the invitation in a local paper in 1915 from Mrs. Ada Garrad (ca. 1881-1962), a medium, to meet with those interested in psychic work. Various informal groups formed, as well as the First Spiritualist Progressive Lyceum, which was established on 10 July 1915. The Lyceum was the Spiritualist equivalent of Sunday School, but based on the teachings of Andrew Jackson Davis; it was well attended in its early years. In 1920, the Lyceum joined the Western Star group in forming the Calgary First Spiritualist Church under the direction of Mrs. Garrad as medium and lecturer and her husband Gerald Harry Garrad (1879-1963) as board president. The new church purchased a building on the corner of 7th Avenue and 3rd Street Southeast, which had been an old Moravian church. The church received its charter from the Government of Alberta; the founding members included Robert and Alice E. Rushton, Edward and Nellie Leighton Potts, William Charles and Annie Biles, and William and Anne Eshelby. In the church’s early years, a professional medium from the United States, Mrs. Z. Duval, was in Calgary and trained many of the mediums who continued to work at the local level for many years. Other notable leaders in the early church were Rev. Matilda Louise Parkyn, Rev. Harry Collett, Rev. Eleanor Collett, Rev. Jack Ross, Helen Davis, Annie Slater, Tom and Tomena Merrifield, and Myra Harshman. In 1929, the Spiritualists’ National Union of Canada (now the Spiritualist Church of Canada) recognized CFSC’s affiliation, with Rev. Martha S. McGuire as a signatory.
In the 1950s, the Lyceum, which had been dormant for some years, was re-established, but officially closed in 1961. The teaching aspect of the CFSC, however, has remained, as it offers a number of courses for adults and children involving Spiritualism, mediumship, and other topics. In 1972, the Church was required to vacate its building due to urban renewal plans by the City of Calgary, and moved to its present location at 1601-1603 6th Avenue North; this second church building was dedicated in 1974. Throughout, the CFSC has offered regular healing, message, and meditation services, as well as workshops and séance circles, and has a large library of books and other publications relating to Spiritualism. Many of the children who attended the Lyceum later became mediums and ministers, including two daughters of the Harshman family who currently (2015) serve the Church, Rev. Ella Groves and Rev. Jane Fleming.

Cameron Family

  • cameron_family
  • Family
  • 18??-

Charles Angus Cameron, Mary Cameron, Grace L. Cameron, and E.A. Cameron were all residents of Neepawa, Manitoba.

Cameron, Alexander Thomas

  • Person
  • 1882 - 25 Sept 1947

Education: MA(Edin)1904; BSc(Edin)1906; DSc(Edin)1925; FIC1918; FRSC; FCIC;

Positions: Professor of Biochemistry 1923-1947

See also card from faculty file

Cameron, William J.

  • cameron_w
  • Person
  • 1926-1989

William J. Cameron was born in New Zealand in 1926. He completed his B.A. and M.A. degrees at the Victoria University College, University of New Zealand, and a Ph.D. in English Literature at the University of Reading in 1958. Dr. Cameron lectured at Victoria University College and the University of Auckland, New Zealand, the University of Reading, England, and McMaster University, Canada. In 1968 he was appointed Associated Dean and Professor at the School of Library and Information Science at the University of Western Ontario. Two years later he became Dean of the School of Library and Information Science and held that position until 1984. Cameron has written several books including John Dryden in New Zealand (1960), Bibliographical Control of Early Books (1978), and A bibliography in short-title catalog form of Bell's British theatre 1780-1793 and Bell's English theatre 1792 (1984).

Campbell, Alan Newton

  • Campbell_A.
  • Person
  • 1899-1987

A.N. Campbell graduated with a B.Sc. at the University of London in 1921, a Ph.D., University of London in 1924 and became a Doctor of Science at the Aberdeen University in 1927. Campbell arrived in Winnipeg in 1930 to assume the post of Assistant Professor of chemistry at the University of Manitoba. This began a career and association with the U of M of more than 50 years. He became head of the department in 1945. Under his headship, the department grew in numbers of faculty and students, and added a Ph.D. program of studies in 1950. In 1960, due to the efforts of Dr. Campbell and his colleagues, the Parker Chemistry Building was erected on campus, replete with modern classrooms, research equipment and modern laboratories. As a teacher, Dr. Campbell observed the careers of more than 160 students guided by him through their M.Sc., and Ph.D. degrees. Many of these students were recipients of fellowships which led to doctoral studies at Oxford. Amid their distinguished ranks we find three of his former students on whom this University conferred honorary degrees including Dr. S. Epstein and Dr. D. G. Rea. For six years in the 1950s he served on the National Research Council. He retired as head in 1965 but continued teaching until 1969, when he became professor emeritus. In that role he actively pursued his research career, attracting large financial grants-in-aid, and publishing the findings of his research. Some of his most important publications are based on work done after the cessation of active teaching in 1969 when he was 70 years old. Dr. Campbell’s contributions to the study of chemistry, especially as it applies to phase rule, electrochemistry and chemical equilibria have been nationally and internationally recognized. He has produced more than 230 publications (30 of them between 1970-1980). He received an honorary Doctorate of Science degree from the University of Manitoba in May 1981.
He is also remembered for his love of literature, music and classical studies.

Campbell, Alexander M

  • Person
  • 1876-1965

Education: BA(Man)1897; MD CM(Man)1904; FACS; FRCS(C)

Positions: Supt WGH 1905-07
Asst Prof Anatomy and Surgery 1940- 47

Campbell, Colleen

  • Mss 352 (A.03-37)
  • Person
  • [19-] -

Colleen Campbell donated University of Manitoba memorabilia to the University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections in 2003. The publications in this collection belonged to Colleen Campbell, who graduated from the University of Manitoba with a Bachelor’s in Industrial Design.

Campbell, Joseph R

  • Person
  • 19XX-1987

Education: MD(Man)1937

Positions: Unknown

Campbell, Murray H

  • Person
  • 1909-1979

Education: MD(Man)1933

Positions: Unkown

Campbell, Robert D

  • Person
  • d.- 1987

Education: MD(Man) 1893

Positions: practiced 60 years in Grand Forks, ND; LLD(Univ N Dakota)1956

Campbell, William Ewart Gladstone

  • Person
  • 5 Nov 1885-7 Apr 1959

Education: BA(Man)1908; MD(Man)1912

Positions: Prof Ophthalmology
Prof Emeritus ( pass by Faculty Council Exec May 7, 1947)

Canadian Association of Law Libraries

  • call
  • Corporate body
  • 1963-

The roots of the Canadian Association of Law Libraries (C.A.L.L.) date back to the late 1950s. Several Canadian law librarians began to meet informally at the American Association of Law Libraries (A.A.L.L.) annual conference to discuss matters of interest. On July 5, 1963, C.A.L.L. became a formal association with its own Constitution and By-Laws. That same year, C.A.L.L. joined A.A.L.L. as an official chapter, with whom it remained affiliated until 1971. The first President of C.A.L.L. was Marianne Scott, with Eunice Beeson acting as Vice-President and Rosemary McCormick serving as Secretary. Future developments in law libraries across the nation, coupled with an increased level of interest amongst law librarians, led to the independent association that functions today. Currently, C.A.L.L. boasts approximately 500 members who represent a wide variety of law library interests throughout Canada. The Association serves as a forum for the dissemination of information and ideas, fosters cooperation among law libraries across the nation and plays an active role in promoting access to legal information for all Canadians.

C.A.L.L. is incorporated as a federal corporation without share capital under Part II of the Corporations Act. The objectives of the Canadian Association of Law Libraries are: to promote law librarianship, to develop and increase the usefulness of Canadian law libraries and to foster a spirit of co-operation among them; to provide a forum for meetings of persons engaged or interested in law library work and to encourage professional self-development; and to co-operate with other organizations which tend to promote the objects of the Association or the interest of its members.

Canadian Friends of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Winnipeg Chapter

  • cfhu
  • Corporate body
  • 1948-

The Canadian Friends of the Hebrew University is a national, non-profit organization that develops and promotes awareness of, leadership in, and financial support for the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. The Winnipeg Chapter was founded in 1948.

Canadian Institute of Actuaries

  • cia
  • Corporate body
  • 1965-

The Canadian Institute of Actuaries is the national organization of the actuarial profession in Canada. It was established by an Act of the federal parliament on March 18, 1965. The original organization of actuaries in Canada, the Actuaries Club, was founded in 1907 with 24 charter members, all actuaries living and working in Toronto. The Canadian Association of Actuaries was established October 8, 1946 and included all members of the Actuaries Clubs of Toronto and Winnipeg as well as a group of Montreal actuaries. This was the organization that formed the membership basis of the Canadian Institute of Actuaries in 1965. Since its formation, the Canadian Institute has grown steadily to its present size of about two thousand, five hundred member Fellows.

Canadian Officers Training Corps

  • cotc
  • Corporate body
  • 1914-1966

The University of Manitoba's Canadian Officer's Training Corps (C.O.T.C.) began in 1914 as a patriotic response to the outbreak of war in Europe. A series of meetings were held in September 1914 to organize a training program to prepare male students for active service overseas. The University Council appointed a Committee on Military Instruction which authorized the teaching of military science and tactics. A university corps was organized in the fall semester of the 1914-1915 year with 64 students taking extra classes to qualify as officers. Later, in March 1915, the Department of Defence instructed the University of Manitoba to join other universities throughout Canada to establish an official training curriculum under the auspices of the Canadian Officer Training Corps. Eight companies of sixty men each were formed with Professor E.P. Featherstonhaugh serving as captain and adjutant. In 1915 the Western Universities Battalion was established with the University of Manitoba contributing a company and a platoon. With the introduction of conscription legislation in 1917, military training was made compulsory for all male students. After the war, in 1920, the C.O.T.C. was reorganized by Lt. Col. N.B. Maclean. It continued in relative obscurity for nearly twenty years until the Second World War.

With the outbreak of the Second World War, the C.O.T.C. was quickly revitalized and its membership mushroomed from its peacetime level of 150 personnel to over 800. The Senate also passed regulations relating to academic credits or "bonuses" for students who joined the C.O.T.C. By 1941 all male students were once again required to enlist in a compulsory program of military training. After the war the C.O.T.C. continued to offer military training on a voluntary basis with new modernized and attractive programs, but with the return of peace its popularity rapidly declined with the organization dissolving in 1966.

Canadian Public Relations Society

  • cprs
  • Corporate body
  • 1948-

The Canadian Public Relations Society (CPRS) is a representative organization of people in public relations in Canada. In 1987, the CPRS consisted of eleven affiliated chapters across Canada with a total membership of over 1,500 people. In 2007, it had grown to include sixteen member societies. Its objectives are to become the focal point for professional development, a forum for the discussion of mutual interests and problems, and a medium to deal with concerns, quality, and direction of public relations activity in Canada. The CPRS is governed by a national body in which each member society has representation. The national body co-ordinates society activities. The Manitoba Chapter offers a series of programmes, workshops, and conferences geared to inform members of trends, ideas, and processes that are likely to be of importance to the public relations function.

Canadian Wheat Board

  • cwb
  • Corporate body
  • 1919-

The Canadian Wheat Board was created in 1919, as a result of the need to secure a price for Canadian Wheat in domestic and international markets. During the war years the prices for Canadian wheat had been fixed. James Stewart, appointed commissioner of the Wheat Board, secured an optimum price for wheat on behalf of Canadian farmers.

Cantor, Sheila Louise

  • Person
  • d. -3 May 1988

Education: BSc(Med)(Man); MD(Man)1973

Positions: Unknown

Results 241 to 270 of 1587