Frederick Drury Baragar was born in 1891 in Rawdon Township, Ontario, to Charles Inkerman Baragar and Emily (Bell) Baragar. He moved with his family to Elm Creek, Manitoba in 1895. In 1914, Baragar graduated from Wesley College, University of Manitoba (later one of the founding colleges of the University of Winnipeg) with a B.A. and moved to Toronto to attend the University of Toronto where he got an Education Degree in 1915. Baragar was a member of the Canadian Officer Training Corps at U of T before enlisting in the ranks of the Canadian Field Artillery on February 25, 1915, in the 2nd Canadian British Expeditionary Force, Divisional Artillery, 7th Canadian Artillery Brigade, 26th Battery. In the military, Baragar saw such battles as St. Eloi, Hooge, Somme, Vimy, Hill 70, Amiens, Arras, and Cambrai.
Beginning in the 26th Battery, Baragar was a Driver and Gunner, but was promoted to Bombardier in January 1916. In 1917, he was promoted to Corporal of the 17th Battery, and became Lieutenant of the 4th Battery in March 1918. Baragar was awarded a Military Cross in Drocourt-Queant, September 2, 1918. He was demobilized in Kingston, April 25, 1919. Baragar's brother, Charles (B.A. (1910), C.M. (1914), M.D. (1914), University of Manitoba), served in the Medical Corps, and his brother, Frank, served in the Royal Air Force during the First World War as well.
After the War, Frederick Baragar married Edith Anne Robertson (B.A. (1917, University of Manitoba) on December 31, 1919, and they settled in Winnipeg. They had been engaged since May 20, 1915 and corresponded consistently until Baragar's return to Manitoba. In Winnipeg, Baragar became a teacher at St. John's Technical High School before accepting the position of principal at Principal Sparling School. In 1938, he became principal of Laura Secord School until his retirement in 1957. During the Second World War, Baragar was on voluntary service as an instructor at Camp Shilo. He was always active in the Manitoba Teachers Society, becoming President in 1946-1947. He was also appointed honorary president of the United College Students' Association in 1949. In 1965, the Fred Baragar Memorial Library, an expansion of the Laura Second School library, was opened in his honour.
Frederick Baragar died October 4th, 1964 at Winnipeg General Hospital. The Frederick and Edith (Robertson) Baragar Scholarship was established in their memory at the University of Winnipeg by their family and friends.