Faculty of Engineering Council
Faculty of Engineering Council
Dean's Office - Faculty of Engineering
The Dean of Engineering is the highest governing position within the Faculty of Engineering, being responsible for the administration of the entire faculty. This includes the management and supervision of academic programs, faculty, staff and financial management. Professor E.P. Fetherstonhaugh was appointed as the first Dean of the Faculty of Engineering in 1921.
Industrial Applications of Microelectronics Centre
The IAMC was established in 1979 to make significant contributions of high technology in the area of microelectronics to industry, the University and the province. The Centre attempted to assemble a “critical mass” of experts in the field of microelectronics who would provide teaching and experience to Faculty of Engineering students, and contractual research and development services to industry clients. The Centre received funding from federal and provincial grants and received fees collected from public sector companies in exchange for research, development and testing services. Financial difficulties forced the University to acquire the Centre in 1987, restructuring it within the Department of Mechanical Engineering until its ultimate dissolution in 1989.
Although engineering courses had been offered at the University of Manitoba since 1907, under Professor E.E. Brydone-Jack, the Faculty of Engineering was not established as a faculty until 1920. A year later, Professor E.P. Fetherstonhaugh was appointed its first Dean. In the same year the School of Architecture was established within the Faculty, which became known as the Faculty of Engineering and Architecture. By 1963, the Department of Architecture split from Faculty of Engineering to form the Faculty of Architecture.
American Association of University Professors / University of Manitoba Chapter
The University of Manitoba Chapter of the American Association of University Professors was established in 1949, and was possibly the first Canadian chapter of the association. Members of the first executive included William Stobie, President, and E.G. Berry, P. Gelrud, and W. Leach, who served as committee members.
Access & Privacy Coordinator's Office
The University of Manitoba Access & Privacy Coordinator's Office was initially established as the FIPPA/PHIA Office within the Archives & Special Collections unit in 2001. The purpose of the office was to implement The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) and The Personal Health Information Act (PHIA) on behalf of the University. In 2008, the FIPPA/PHIA Office underwent administrative changes, being renamed the Access & Privacy Coordinator’s Office under the Vice-President (Administration). In 2010, the office was transferred to the newly formed Office of Fair Practices & Legal Affairs.
Brewing & Malting Barley Research Institute
Activities of the malting and brewing industries in the barley improvement were formalized in 1948 when the Barley Improvement Institute (now the Brewing and Malting Research Institute) was established to cooperate and assist, financially and otherwise , in the development and testing of improved barley varieties and to disseminate factual information on the production, improvement, marketing and processing of malting barley. Sixty eight years later the Institute continues to provide variety evaluation & funding from its Winnipeg office.* For a more detailed history consult Box 1 Folder 2 &; Box 25 Folder 3 of the fonds.
National Research Centre Bid Committee
In 2007, the Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement required that the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada (TRC) establish a National Research Centre (NRC) to continue to inform Canadians about the Residential School system and assist in a process of reconcilliation. The NRC
is to house: thousands of hours of video- and-audio recorded survivor statements; millions of archival documents and photographs the TRC has collected from the Government of Canada and Canadian church entities including,the United Church, Catholic Church, Presbyterian Church and Anglican Church;
works of art, artifacts and other "expressions of reconciliation" presented at TRC events; lastly, all records pertaining to the research and activities undergone by the TRC over the life of its five-year mandate.
Beginning in 2009, the NRC Bid Committee at the University of Manitoba developed a proposal spanning over two years with a team of scholars, students and staff, many of whom have family members who are survivors, working together as allies on campus. The proposal, "National Research Centre on Indian Residential Schools" was submitted to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission by the University of Manitoba on February 16th, 2012. The proposal includes: a vision; 'who we are'; aboriginal support; a governance model; archival expertise and facilities; privacy and access; technical excellence and interactivity; employment and education; commemoration; public engagement; proximity to Aboriginal population; accessibility; financial stability; timeline and a conclusion.
The NRC Bid Committee included: Co-Chair Dr. Laara Fitznor (Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation), education professor; Co-Chair Dr. Jean Friesen, history professor; Deborah Young (Cree), executive lead for Indigenous achievement; Dr. Marlene Atleo (Ahousaht First Nation member), education professor; Dr. Greg Bak, professor in the master's program in archival studies, history department; Prof. Karen Busby, law professor and academic director, Centre for Human Rights Research; Camille Callison (Tahltan), Indigenous services librarian, assisted in the final stages of drafting the submission after joining the University of Manitoba in January 2012. Callison brings her experience in organizing, preserving and providing access to traditional knowledge; Helen Fallding, manager of the Centre for Human Rights Research; Dr. Rainey Gaywish (Cree-Anishinabe), a program director in Aboriginal Focus and Access Programs; Dr. Kiera Ladner (Cree), Canada Research Chair in Indigenous politics and governance; Dr. Tom Nesmith, professor in the master's program in archival studies, history department; Dr. Fred Shore (Metis), Native studies professor; Kali Storm (Anishinaabe/Metis), director of the Aboriginal Student Centre; Dr. Shelley Sweeney, head of Archives & Special Collections, the Libraries; Professor Wendy Whitecloud(Sioux Valley Dakota Nation), law.
On National Aboriginal Day, June 21st 2013 the National Research Centre Signing Ceremony took place at the University of Manitoba. This event was to recognize the University of Manitoba as the permanent host of the NRC to house the video- and- audio recorded statements, records and other materials gathered by the TRC over its five -year mandate. Since the acceptance of the Univeristy of Manitoba as the home of the NRC, the NRC bid committee has achieved its goal and has since disbanded and donated their records to the University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections.
Ukrainian Professional and Business Club of Winnipeg
The Ukrainian Professional and Business Club of Winnipeg was formed in the fall of 1943. A small group of Ukrainian Canadian professional men recognized a need for an organization which would play an important role in the cultural and social life of Ukrainians in Winnipeg. The first executive committee (W. Kushnir, V.F. Bachynski, J. Kereluk, V.H. Koman, P. Korman, A. Malofie, J.W. Semeniuk, M. Stechishin, W. Swystun) was formed on November 4, 1943, and elected their first President, Dr. B. Duma. The first official title of the Club was the Ukrainian Professional and Business Men's Club of Winnipeg which later changed its name to the Ukrainian Professional and Business Club of Winnipeg in order to reflect the Ukrainian professional women's membership (1980's)
The Ukrainian Professional and Business Club of Winnipeg inspired the formation of other similar clubs across Canada, and the formation of the Ukrainian Canadian Professional and Business Federation in 1963. The Federation maintains the high standards of the Ukrainian cultural activities and promotes Ukrainian community projects across Canada.
The Ukrainian Professional and Business Foundation is a registered charity to recognize the charitable activities of the Ukrainian Professional and Business Club of Winnipeg. It supports many educational projects and institutions (Department of Slavic Studies, University of Manitoba, St Andrew's College, University of Manitoba, City of Winnipeg High Schools, Ukrainian War Veterans, and many other Ukrainian cultural organizations).
The most important objectives of the Ukrainian Professional and Business Club of Winnipeg have been the consolidation and streamlining of Ukrainian organizations; the promotion of better communication; the implementation of the Manitoba Government's officially declared Manitoba Multiculturalism Act (1992); and the preservation of Ukrainian cultural heritage.
The Indian and Métis Friendship Centre
The Winnipeg Indian and Métis Friendship Centre (IMFC) was the first Friendship Centre in Canada. The IMFC's constitution was drafted in 1959 by the offices of the Urban Indian Association, who became the first board of directors, along with the members of the funding organizations and churches. The IMFC was officially opened on April 15th, 1959 at 376 Donald Street. It was created in response to a growing Aboriginal and Métis population in Winnipeg and out of a need for specialized social and economic services. Over its history, the IMFC has developed and supported many programs and services in health, housing, employment, education, and continues to design solutions for the betterment of the indigenous community. The IMFC has also acted as a cultural center, providing supportive services in friendship, and aspires to empower the community by taking action on issues affecting Aboriginal peoples. As a non-profit organization, the IMFC was jointly funded by the Federal Government, and The Winnipeg Foundation. In 1972 it became a member of The National Association of Friendship Centre’s, the unifying representative body for The Friendship Centre Movement. In 1992, the IMFC moved to 45 Robinson Street where it continues to provide community services to its members. Today, there are a total of 119 Friendship Centre’s in urban centers providing invaluable services, activities, and advocating on behalf of Aboriginal peoples.
The Winnipeg Spiritualist Church, also known as the Winnipeg Psychic Society, was a small congregation that existed in Winnipeg from the date of its founding by Reverend Evan Clarke, among others, in the early 1950s until its dispersal in 2012. In its early years, the congregation was called The Spiritualist Church of Divine Truth; its name was changed to the Winnipeg Spiritualist Church in 1954, and also came to be known as a society in the 1960s. In 1984 the name Winnipeg Spiritualist Church was re-adopted, as well as incorporated, and the name Winnipeg Psychic Society became a name notation for the church. Upon its founding, the objectives of the Winnipeg Spiritualist Church were defined as the advancement and promotion of the religion of Spiritualism in Southern Manitoba, the education of future healers and demonstrators of Spiritualism, furtherance of the works of the Spiritualistic Society, and a commitment to charitable works. The church and its members upheld and promoted a belief in the seven principles of Spiritualism: 1) The Fatherhood of God; 2) The Brotherhood of man; 3) The communion of spirits and the ministry of angels; 4) The continuous existence of the human soul; 5) Personal responsibility; 6) Compensation and retribution hereafter for all good and evil deeds done on Earth and 7) Eternal progress open to every human soul. The small congregation did their best to further develop the Spiritualist community in Winnipeg by holding annual psychic teas, hosting classes or workshops on topics such as clairvoyant development, palmistry, symbology, dream interpretation, past life regression or spiritual evolution, and by hiring visiting mediums, such as Gaye Muir, to attend the church and exhibit evidence of psychic phenomena and life after death.
The Winnipeg Spiritualist Church was originally located on Notre Dame Avenue in Winnipeg, and moved to a building at 293 Kennedy Street in the early 1980s , followed by a move to 295 Broadway in 1986. In the autumn of 1989 the small congregation purchased the building at 1551 Arlington, and, after many months of renovations, held the Grand Opening Ceremony of the new building on Dec. 3, 1989. Services at the Winnipeg Spiritualist Church were held twice on Sundays; one service in the morning and another in the evening. In addition, a healing service was held on Sunday mornings. Services consisted of a combination of aura cleansing and energizing, guided meditation, healing, the presence of clairvoyants, singing of hymns or worshipful songs, and a message in accordance with the principles agreed upon by the church, in an effort to promote and expand the understanding of Spiritualism. The small church, numbering approximately 20-80 members throughout the years, survived financially upon the generous donations of its members, one of whom accepted the mortgage of the church building at 1551 Arlington under her own name. Also conducive to the financial stability of the church were social hours, workshops, demonstrations, evenings of clairvoyance, annual psychic teas and other fundraisers hosted by the church and its members for small costs, as well as the fees paid yearly by members of the church. A Board of Directors made up of 5-9 members led the church. The leadership positions were filled by members of the church, and were newly voted upon and elected by fellow members of the congregation each year. Aside from membership disputes in 1992, relationships between the members and leaders of the Winnipeg Spiritualist Church were harmonious. The positions of leadership changed hands often until the election of Reverend Linda Zagozewski as president of the congregation in 1989; Zagozewski was a board member and/or president of the small church from 1986 until her death in 2005. After the death of Zagozewski, her husband Reverend Duncan Wilson became president of the small church until his own death in 2012. Without anyone to carry forward the role of leadership in the dwindling congregation, the remaining members chose to disperse the funds, library materials and records of the Winnipeg Spiritualist Church to the Survival Research Institute of Canada and the Universty of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections, among other organizations. The hopes of the members upon the dispersal of the Winnipeg Spiritualist Church were that the funds and materials of the church donated to various institutions would be carried forward in the furtherance of research and the understanding of Spiritualism.
University of Manitoba Medical Library
The Neil John MacLean Health Sciences Library, a state-of-the-art facility incorporating the resources of the previous Medical Library, the Neilson Dental Library, and the Health Sciences Centre Nursing Library, supports the teaching, research, and patient care requirements of the staff and students of the Faculties of Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing (HSC program), and the schools of Dental Hygiene and Medical Rehabilitation.
The Ombudsman's Office was originally established by the Board of Governors in 1981 as an independent office to act on on behalf of students, faculty, support staff, and administrators in matters dealing with violation of University policy, personnel relations, or matters not in the purview of Equity Services, Student Advocacy Offices, or covered by collective agreements.
The Ombudsman reported to the President of the University, but operated independently of administrative authorities. For matters involving the President, the Ombudsman reported directly to the Board of Governors.
The Ombudsman's Office was closed on June 30th, 2010.
University of Manitoba Audio Visual and Classroom Technology Support
Originally known as the "Photography Unit," University of Manitoba Audio Visual and Classroom Technology Support was solely responsible for photography and initially 60% of its workload was for the Faculty of Agriculture, including plant, animal, and soil science. Soon, the Photography Unit became responsible for shooting campus-wide events, including public relations, scientific research, and convocations. The Photography Unit was also responsible for a day-to-day workload that consisted of bookings, completing photography jobs, as well as processing the photographs in a darkroom.
The "Photography Unit" became known as "Photography and Graphics," then "Imaging Services," and later "Audio Visual and Classroom Technology Support," which it is currently known as. The changes in the unit names reflects the advances in technology and the conversion to digital technology.
Originally, the Photography Unit reported to the head of the graphics department, and now photography has become an extended branch of the Audio Visual and Classroom Technology Support unit. The work of the Photography Unit had been split up amongst four photographers-- Bob Talbot, Keo Nishizeki, Allan Patterson, and Wayne Foster. It soon became three as Wayne Foster left to shoot at the Bannatyne campus.
Bob Talbot was a photographer at the University of Manitoba from May 1972 to January 2011. Bob Talbot had initially taken the job as summer employment, but he soon moved from office clerk to apprentice photographer, junior photographer, and finally, senior photographer. Within the Photography Unit, Bob Talbot became the head, and reported to the Audio Visual and Classroom Technology Support unit until his retirement in early 2011.
The Abernethy, Saskatchewan grain elevators were built in the early 1900s by various grain companies. Five elevators existed in Abernethy: Beaver (1904), International (1906), Maple Leaf (1908), North Star (1904) and Farmers’ Elevator Company (1907). In 1948, the United Grain Growers purchased the oldest Abernethy elevator from Reliance Grain. Over the next twenty years, United Grain Growers purchased the three major elevators in Abernethy, consisting of some of the oldest still functioning in Canada. At the same time of United Grain Growers' expansion into Abernethy, a re-organization of Locals followed to provide representation for labor. The United Grain Growers Local #702 formed in 1949 and included farmers from Balcarres, Saskatchewan. Local #702 remained active as a representative union for the farmer owned company until United Grain Growers’ merger with Agricore United in 2001.
Agassiz Centre for Water Studies
The Agassiz Centre for Water Studies was established in 1968 to assist and coordinate the interdisciplinary study of water resources and utilization in western Canada. Colloquia and seminars were sponsored in cooperation with the Department of Energy, Mines and Resources. In 1969 the Centre's administration was reorganized and steering, publications and conference committees were formed. By 1972 research topics and programs began to range widely - so much so that some were considered peripheral to the main thrust for the Centre's existence. As a result, the Centre's terms of reference were revised and tightened. By 1975 the Centre was working on the last year of a five-year grant from the Inland Water Directorate of the Department of the Environment and was having difficulty getting approvals for research projects that were deemed not a priority by the department. A proposal was put forward to radically alter the internal structure and research direction of the Centre. However, by this time, the Centre was no longer considered a viable enterprise and it began an orderly wind-down of its ongoing research. The Centre effectively terminated operations on December 31, 1976.
From 1992 to 1995 the Stradbrook Senior Centre in Winnipeg offered a course for seniors on how to write their life story. This course was offered under the auspices of Age and Opportunity, a non-profit organization established in Manitoba in 1957, which aids seniors in a variety of ways beneficial to their daily life. These courses were taught by Tanya Lester. In 2002 the "Writing your Life Story" class continued to be offered on a thrice yearly basis, but was no longer taught by Tanya Lester.
Agricore Cooperative Ltd. was created November 1, 1998, through the friendly merger of Alberta Wheat Pool Ltd. and Manitoba Pool Elevators. It existed for only three years, then merged with United Grain Growers to form Agricore United in November 2001. Before the merger, it was one of the largest agribusinesses in Western Canada. Moreover, as Agricore United is a publicly traded company, Agricore can be seen as the last of the farmer-owned cooperatives, a movement that significantly altered prairie-farming practices in the twentieth century. Agricore officially began operations on November 1, 1998. Extensive preparations were made to ensure that a seamless transition occurred when the two historic cooperatives became one new entity. Winnipeg was selected as the head office and staff was shifted accordingly. In late 1999, Agricore weathered its first serious crisis when the cooperative's unionized staff went on strike. The next year and a half saw Agricore expand its business in a variety of ways including the establishment of high throughput elevators in Elva, Manitoba and at the junctions of highway 3 and 14 between Morden and Winkler, in Manitoba. Though wheat and grain prices in 1999-2000 reached historic lows, Agricore managed to increase earnings and further enhance its reputation as one of western Canada's most influential agribusinesses. On July 30, 2001, Agricore announced that the boards of both UGG and Agricore had unanimously agreed to a merger that would create a new company, Agricore United, which would be modeled after UGG's share structure. On November 1, 2001, the merger took place and Agricore, the last of the prairie cooperatives, ceased to exist.
On July 30, 2001, Agricore announced that the boards of both United Grain Growers and Agricore Cooperative had unanimously agreed to a merger that would create a new company, Agricore United, which would be modeled after UGG's share structure. On November 1, 2001, the merger took place and Agricore, the last of the prairie cooperatives, ceased to exist.Since the merger, Agricore United became the largest agribusiness in western Canada dealing in grains, oilseeds, special crops, marketing, agri-products, agri-food processing, and feed manufacturing. The merger also allowed for a greater ability to access public markets for additional capital. The company has weathered adverse growing conditions like drought and floods in various parts of western Canada, low grain stocks, and growing competition from international markets. While offering farmers management services like financing, risk management, agronomic expertise, and access to end-use markets, Agricore United has been able to capitalize on a wider system of developed infrastructure networks of port terminals, country elevators, and farm service centres. Built on the foundation of Agricore United and Saskatchewan Wheat Pool, Viterra was formed in 2007 through a merger.Refer to the finding aids for earlier history of United Grain Growers Ltd. and Agricore Cooperative Ltd.
Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences
Administrative History of the Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences Manitoba Agricultural College was formerly opened in 1906. In the following year Manitoba Agricultural College became affiliated with the University of Manitoba so that the degree in agriculture could be conferred on students who had successfully completed the five-year course. However, the affiliation of Manitoba Agricultural College with the University was terminated by an Act of the Provincial Legislature in 1912 when the College was granted degree conferring powers. However, in 1916 the Act was amended and the affiliation between the College and University restored again. The University of Manitoba conferred the degree of Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (B.S.A.) for the first time in May 1911. Regular instruction in Home Economics began the same year and the degree of Bachelor of Home Economics (B.H.E.) was first conferred in May 1918. On March 1, 1924, by Act of the Manitoba Legislature, the administration of Manitoba Agricultural College was transferred to the Board of Governors of the University and it was arranged that in future the instructional work of the College could be carried on as a Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics of the University. The length of the degree courses in both Agriculture and Home Economics was reduced to four sessions in 1927-1928 to conform with the other university faculties. In 1929, the Legislature selected the site in Fort Garry, already occupied by the Manitoba Agricultural College since 1913, as the permanent site of the University.A systematic program of work in the field of rural adult education began in 1940. In 1946 the Department of Agricultural Engineering was added to the faculty. In 1966 the Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics opened the Centre for Applied Research at Glenlea, twenty kilometres south of Winnipeg.In 1970 the Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics separated into two independent faculties, Agriculture and Home Economics. Beginning in 1971 the Faculty of Agriculture, through sponsorship from the Provincial Government, became involved with various foreign aid programs. This culminated in 1979 when the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) financed a joint agricultural program with the University of Zambia. In July 1991 the Faculty became the Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences.
Air Canada is the flag carrier and largest airline of Canada. The airline, founded in 1936, provides scheduled and charter air transport for passengers and cargo to 178 destinations worldwide. It is the world's ninth largest passenger airline by number of destinations, and the airline is a founding member of Star Alliance, an alliance of 26 member airlines formed in 1997. Air Canada's largest hub is Toronto Pearson International Airport, located in Mississauga, Ontario, while its corporate headquarters are located in Montreal, Quebec. The airline's parent company is the publicly traded firm ACE Aviation Holdings. Air Canada had passenger revenues of CA$9.7 billion in 2008.
Canada's national airline originated from the Canadian federal government's 1936 creation of Trans-Canada Airlines (TCA), which began operating its first transcontinental flight routes in 1938. In 1965, TCA was renamed Air Canada following government approval. Following the 1980s deregulation of the Canadian airline market, the airline was privatized in 1988. In 2001, Air Canada acquired its largest rival, Canadian Airlines. In 2006, 34 million people flew with Air Canada as the airline celebrated its 70th anniversary.
Air Canada operates a fleet of Airbus A330, Boeing 767, and Boeing 777 wide-body jetliners on long-haul routes, and uses Airbus A320 family aircraft, including the A319, A320, and A321 variations and Embraer E170/E190 family aircraft on short-haul routes. The carrier's operating divisions include Air Canada Cargo and Air Canada Jetz. Its subsidiary, Air Canada Vacations, provides vacation packages to over 90 destinations. Together with its regional partners, the airline operates on average more than 1,370 scheduled flights daily.
The Alberta Wheat Pool, a voluntary cooperative organization, was incorporated in 1923 to create stability in the wheat market in response to a downward trend in wheat and farm prices in 1920-1923. Its first president was Henry Wise Wood. The pool, from its first office in Calgary, became one of the largest grain-handling cooperatives in Canada. Owned and controlled by its members, it operated country grain elevators across Alberta and northeast British Columbia. It handled approximately two-thirds of Alberta's grain exports. In addition to its original mandate of enabling farmers to bargain collectively with grain buyers, the AWP also provided grain services for members including storage and handling, grain merchandising, fertilizer and seed grain sales, farm equipment, financing, and agricultural research. It has also ensured farmers a voice in the formation of national grain-marketing policies and has been involved in the establishment of the Canadian Wheat Board. On November 1, 1998 the Wheat Pool merged with Manitoba Pool Elevators to form Agricore. In 2001 Agricore merged with United Grain Growers Ltd. to form Agricore United. In 2007 Agricore United was purchased by the Saskatchewan Wheat Poll and the new company was rebranded to be known as Viterra. For further information see Tides in the West / Leonard D. Nesbitt. - Saskatoon : Modern Press, 1962.
The Alumni Association Inc. of the University of Manitoba was founded in 1921 by a handful of graduates. Their objective was to reach out to the growing numbers of graduates of the University and to sustain their interest and long-term support of the University. In 1935, the Association was incorporated in the Province of Manitoba as a not-for-profit organization with its own, independent volunteer Board of Directors. The Alumni Association operated largely as an independent association until 1958 when President Saunderson created the Public Relations and Information Office. The Alumni Association assumed the operative role of the Public Relations and Information Office and received direct funding from the University.
The Alumni Association provides, preserves and strengthens the vehicle for alumni involvement. One way this is achieved is by maximizing the University's opportunities to communicate with graduates on a regular basis. This communication reinforces the relationship between the University through the Alumni Affairs portfolio and the Alumni Association. Alumni Affairs is a department of the University directed by the Association's executive director. Its role is to facilitate alumni-related activities between the Alumni Association and the University.
In 2001, the Association celebrated its 80th anniversary. In large measure, the history of the Association reflects the much broader history of the University. For example, until 1988, the Alumni Association had the responsibility for soliciting alumni donations to the University. In 1988, this function was transferred to the Department of Private Funding in order to consolidate all fund raising ventures. Also, on May 10, 1999, the President of the University of Manitoba and the President of the Alumni Association signed a funding agreement that allowed for no-fee alumni membership to all University of Manitoba graduates. This agreement was renewed in 2002.
The Alpha Omega Alumnae, an organization of women university graduates of Ukrainian descent, was founded in 1958 by a small group of twelve women with a desire to promote and foster Ukrainian cultural activities within the broader community. The organization has focused on promoting the work of amateur and professional artists of Ukrainian origin. The visual and performing arts have been supported with art exhibitions, musicals, recitals, lectures and readings by published authors. In the 1960s, in collaboration with the Winnipeg Art Gallery, the Alumnae sponsored a major show of the works of internationally known sculptor Alexander Archipenko. This was followed by a show of the art of William Kurelek. Interest in contemporary literature led, in 1978, to a Canada-wide writing competition which called for stories based on experiences of "Ukrainian Life in Canada". In celebration of Winnipeg's Centennial, the Alumnae honoured those women of Ukrainian descent who had graduated from the University of Manitoba prior to 1940. This resulted in a publication entitled The Beginnings: Ukrainian Women Graduates, University of Manitoba. In 2008, the Alumnae celebrated its fiftieth anniversary with a major celebratory musical event and a "Garden Party" honoring the founding members.
Dr. Richard Bennett, the University of Manitoba Archivist between 1978 and 1998, proposed the Symposium to discuss some of the collections housed in the Archives. The proceedings were held in University Centre on November 23, 1979.
The Atlas Wrecking Company was established in the early 1900's by David Billinkoff. Coming to Winnipeg from Russia on Christmas Eve, Billinkoff used his only dollar to buy a handsaw, going door to door offering to cut wood. He also began hauling loads of frozen gravel from Birds Hill to the City of Winnipeg, and eventually developed a scrap lumber resale business. After David's passing in 1933, his son Alecander quit school to run Billinkoff Wrecking and Lumber, and was eventually joined by his brothers Ben and Joe. In the 1950's the business became two distinct companies, Billinkoff's Lumber and the Atlas Wrecking Company. Over the years, Atlas completed many major wrecking, salvaging, or demolishing projects occurring in Western Canada. This includes the demolition of various public structures in Winnipeg such as the old Canadian National Telegraph's building at the corner of Portage Avenue and Main Street, the old Winnipeg Electric Company's steam generating plant, and the old Canadian Distillery in St. Boniface to name a few. Before and during each demolition, pictures were taken to document the event, making a unique contribution to the city's evolving landscape.
Association of Universities and Colleges in Canada
The Association of Universities and Colleges in Canada (AUCC) is a national non-governmental, not-for-profit organization that is funded through membership fees and revenues from publications and contract management services. The AUCC represents 93 Canadian public and private not-for-profit universities and university colleges. The AUCC provides a forum for discussion and a framework for action at the federal level, and facilitates the development of public policy on higher education. It was founded in 1911 and its membership ranges from small, undergraduate liberals arts institutions to large, multi-campus universities offering a broad selection of undergraduate, graduate and professional programs. The activities of AUCC are coordinated by its secretariat, located in Ottawa.
Border Crossings is a Winnipeg-based arts magazine that was founded in 1982 by Robert Enright, the magazine’s first Editor-in-Chief. It first began publishing under the title Arts Manitoba in the mid-1970s, with the intention of being a bi-monthly arts and culture magazine. Beginning in 1978, financial troubles almost put an early end to the publication, but in 1982 it was re-invigorated with the help of a small board of directors which included Meeka Walsh. In 1985 it began publishing under its current name, a title which was more in-line with Enright and Walsh’s shared vision of a magazine which transcended borders, both artistically and physically. Walsh took over as Editor-in-Chief in 1993, a position which she continues to occupy.
Border Crossings features a wide range of arts and culture topics such as artist profiles, theatre reviews, interviews, photography portfolios and editorials, from both a Canadian perspective and an international one. Border Crossings describes its content as “more curated than edited” and it stands alone as Canada’s premier arts magazine.
Business and Professional Women's Club of Winnipeg
The Business and Professional Women's Club of Winnipeg (BPWCW) was established in 1924 to provide a forum for women professionals to meet, discuss common problems and lobby for women's issues. Issues in which the club was interested included equal pay for work of equal value, better treatment of women in the workplace, and the creation and improvement of the Canada Pension plan. The club was originally situated in downtown Winnipeg at the St. Regis Hotel, but moved in 1946 to a house at 3 Evergreen Street in the Osborne Village neighborhood of Winnipeg. In 1965, the Evergreen Clubhouse was sold and the club moved back downtown to a space above Moore's restaurant on Portage Avenue. The club is currently located on Lombard Avenue in downtown Winnipeg.