Affichage de 24 résultats

fichier d'autorité
University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections Collectivité

Keystone Agricultural Producers

  • kap
  • Collectivité
  • 1984-

Keystone Agricultural Producers is a democratically controlled farm lobby organization which represents and promotes the interests of agriculture and agricultural producers in Manitoba. It is a grassroots organization wholly run and funded by its members, with all policy set by producers throughout Manitoba. KAP has standing policies on a variety of issues including Safety Net Programs, Western Grain Marketing, Land and Resource Use, Taxation, Environment and Sustainability, Livestock Manure Management Strategy, Farm Labour, Health and Safety, Affiliations, Farm Inputs and Finance, Transportation, Government Services, Property Rights and Wildlife Resources and Trade. Policy is set by delegates and directors elected from individual and group members. Close to twenty committees, comprised of members and the President (ex officio), research a number of issues and report back to the executive and the General Council. Both the elected executive and management are responsible for implementing policy in the best interests of the members. Its mission is to be Manitoba's most effective, democratic policy voice, while promoting the social, physical and cultural well being of all agricultural producers.

Manitoba Eastern European Heritage Society

  • meehs
  • Collectivité
  • 1986-

The Manitoba Eastern European Heritage Society is a group of researchers inspired by a desire for knowledge of the architectural history as well as mutual concern for the spiritual future of Eastern European churches in Manitoba. The principal members of the Society are Stella Hryniuk, Basil Rotoff, and Roman Yereniuk. These three researchers, on behalf of the Manitoba Eastern European Heritage Society, received funding from the Historic Resources Branch of Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Recreation to travel around Manitoba documenting the architecture, art, and history of the province’s Ukrainian Byzantine-rite churches.

The group identified 140 Ukrainian Catholic and Orthodox churches across the province, plus an additional twenty Eastern European Churches. They documented eighty churches, taking into consideration the condition of the churches, prominent architectural features, and the scattered distribution of churches across the province. The project began in 1986 and with the help of student researchers was completed in 1990 with the publication of the book “Monuments to Faith: Ukrainian Churches in Manitoba.”

Stella Hryniuk taught in the Department of History at the University of Manitoba; Roman Yereniuk was an Associate professor of Religion and Theology at St. Andrew’s College; Basil Rotoff was a professor and Senior Scholar in the Department of City Planning, Faculty of Architecture, at the University of Manitoba.

Faculty of Law

  • facultyoflaw
  • Collectivité
  • [ca.1860] -

The University of Manitoba first became involved in legal education in 1885 when it established a three-year course of studies leading to the LL.B. degree. This course did not include instruction, it simply prescribed a reading program with three annual examinations, which articled law students couId follow concurrently with the course prescribed by the Law Society. In the years 1911-1912, the Law Society was prompted by the Law Students Association to provide a short series of lectures. In 1913, H.A. Robson, then Manitoba's Public Utilities Commissioner and a former judge of the Court of King's Bench, organized a considerably improved course of lectures and began to lay the plans for the establishment in the following year of a permanent law school modeled after the Osgoode Hall Law School of the Law Society of Upper Canada.

The Manitoba Law School was jointly sponsored by The University of Manitoba and the Law Society of Manitoba. Both bodies took part in the planning from the beginning. In the summer of 1914, they entered into an agreement, subsequently endorsed by legislation, which provided for the creation of the School, offering a three-year course consisting of lectures and apprenticeship leading to both an LL.B. degree and a call to the Bar and admission to practice. Expenses of the School were shared equally by the two parent bodies, and its operations were supervised by a jointly appointed Board of Trustees. This arrangement between The University of Manitoba and the Law Society of Manitoba continued until 1966 when the Law School became the Faculty of Law of the University of Manitoba.

The Faculty of Law presently offers programs of study leading to two degrees, the LL.B. and the LL.M. The latter degree program was brought into existence in 1949 by the Manitoba Law School. It was substantially revamped by the Faculty of Law in 1968.

Public Markets Ltd.

  • publicmarkets
  • Collectivité
  • 1911-1990

Public Markets Limited (PML) was incorporated In 1911 by the Manitoba Government in order to provide Manitoba livestock producers with a market-place to accommodate this growing industry. A 137-acre [or 232- acre] site located on Marion Street in St. Boniface was purchased by the City of Winnipeg. In the land title reocords, this areas was referred to as the ‘Roman Catholic Mission Property’. On August 14, 1913, the Marion Street facility, with its stock yards and packing house facility, was officially opened by Premier Sir Rodmond Roblin. For the next seventy-five years, this facility, known as the Union Stock Yards, not only provided the City of St. Boniface with its largest single source of employers but became a vital cog in Manitoba's agricultural economy.

According to the Manitoba Historical Society, "An agreement was made with three main railroads, the Canadian Northern Railway (CNR), Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR), and Grand Trunk Pacific Railway (GTP), all of whom wanted service access to the sites... [The] PML was financed with a capital stock of $1.5 million and 10,000 shares of $100. Each railroad company was allotted 3,333 shares and one directorship in the PML. The railroads retained collective ownership of PML while the public was guaranteed a voice, and ability to affect prices, with several provincially-appointed directors to represent local producers and the public interest."

The livestock business in Manitoba owes its origins to the great cattle drives in the Southwestern United States. The Dodge City/Western Trail led up into Alberta where it hooked up with the newly completed Canadian National Railway. Cattle were loaded on to freight cars and shipped to the markets in Eastern Canada. Along the way the trains stopped off in Winnipeg to water and feed the cattle, giving rise to Manitoba's livestock industry. Winnipeg's first stock yard was located in the Weston area but space constraints and easier access to the rail lines necessitated the move to St. Boniface. The Union Stock Yards were the largest of their kind in Canada. The yard had its own private well essential in providing the endless stream of water required.

In 1925, Canada Packers opened a meat processing plant next to the yard, thirteen years later they were joined by Swift. World War II brought unprecedented growth to the packing industry as Canada supplied meat for the troops overseas. The yards represented a large cross-section of livestock interests. Within its structure were numerous salesmen, buyers, producers and employees of the trade and yard company. The Canada Department of Agriculture also provided two essential services. Veterinarians performed health inspections and a daily market report was prepared to inform the industry on livestock values and prices. Truck and brand inspections were carried out by representatives of the provincial governments. The market had its own Livestock Exchange to supervise trading and its membership included buyers for all kinds of stock as well as bonded commission firms and dealers.

The livestock received and sold at Union Stock Yards came from all three prairie provinces, destined for the local market, Eastern Canada, or under favourable exchange and trading conditions, the United States. The principal requirement locally was to provide slaughter cattle for the processing plants. However, under good weather and feed conditions there was a significant turnover of cattle back into the Manitoba feed lots for finishing. The Eastern Canada market was constant year-round with upwards of 300,000 cattle and calves shipped annually. The yard was also the largest exporter of feeder cattle in Canada with steady sales to Iowa, Minnesota, and Nebraska.

Failure to keep up with technological advancements and the advent of refrigerated trucks conspired to end the Union Stock Yards dominance of the industry. Trucks took over as the principal means of beef shipping with the completion of the Trans Canada Highway in 1955. The meat packing industry began to move closer to the source of its product as plants in Alberta supplanted Winnipeg processors. Manitoba hog processing still remains a viable industry but the Union Stock Yards, Canada Packers and Swift beef processing plants had outlived their usefulness by 1990. The Swift plant was demolished in 1994.

St. John's College

  • stjohnscollege
  • Collectivité
  • 1883-

The forerunners of St. John’s College were privately owned boarding schools. Reverend Jones established the Red River Academy in 1833 at Upper Church. When it merged with John Pritchard’s private school, the Academy became the sole source of secondary education available to the Protestant Community in the Northwest. Through the aid of Hudson’s Bay Co. Governor George Simpson, Jones enrolled 17 boys and 16 girls in his two-storey wooden structure that consisted of two wings joined by a covered walkway. Jones undertook the post of headmaster while his wife supervised the girls until her untimely death in 1836.

Regrettably the Academy remained elitist drawing the majority of its enrolment from the families of the executives of the Hudson’s Bay Co. By the late 1840s registration was in decline owing to no educational facility for young women and a growing perception that Macallum’s teaching methods were too harsh. In an odd development Macallum died the very day that the first Bishop of Rupert’s Land landed at Red River.

Bishop David Anderson had intended to make his new headquarters at the new stone church at St. Andrew’s. The death of the schoolmaster at Upper Church left the Red River Academy in a state of dissolution. Anderson hastened to Upper Church with a goal of melding the settlers interest in higher learning with those of the Church Missionary Society. Anderson undertook supervision of the school with the aid of his sister. He hoped the school and ultimately the Theological College that he was planning would become a permanent administrative and training centre for the Church’s work in the Northwest. Bishop Anderson named the parish a Upper Church in commemoration of St. John the Evangelist. He renamed the Academy St. John’s Collegiate School with the proposed theological college to be called St. John’s College. He chose for a school motto “In Thy light we shall see light”. (Psalm 36 verse 91)

The St. John’s Collegiate School endeavoured to educate Indigenous peoples, supported by the Church Missionary Society, fee paying settlers son as well as the Academy’s previous clientele. No provision was made for educating girls but a Miss Mills began a Girl’s School in a house known as St. Cross recently vacated by the Reverend William Cockran. The Collegiate School academic program was more rigorous than the Academy. John Macallum’s interest in the classics was continued as well as the addition of modern languages. Bishop Anderson deemed modern language important in mission work. Intellectual development was stimulated with the foundation of an 800 volume library financed by friends of the School, the Society for Propagation of Christian Knowledge and the Bishop’s own personal collection.

In 1850 Bishop Anderson began teaching theological subjects to candidates for the ministry among them Thomas Cockran and the Indigenous catechist Henry Budd. The Bishop organized a Board of Trustees in 1855 as “ guardians of the property connected with the Collegiate School and the keepers of the Diocesan Library. All library books and property under the Board were to “bear the stamp, device, and motto of St. John’s College.”

The role of St. John’s as a theological college was unparalleled in the Northwest. The Roman Catholic Church made no attempt to train native clergy and relied upon Eastern Canada and France for priests. Bishop Anderson ordained twenty clergymen between 1849-1864, nine were born in the Northwest. Eight were products of the mission schools and St. John’s College. Four graduates, Henry Budd Sr., James Settee, Henry Cochrane and Henry Budd Jr. were Indigenous while Thomas Cook, and three future Archdeacons, Robert MacDonald, Thomas Vincent and John A. Mackay were half-breed sons of Hudson’s Bay Company employees.

By 1855 other duties had begun to infringe on Anderson’s work at the College. Despite poor health, Thomas Cockran remained a Master of the Collegiate and College tutor after his ordination. He ran the College in 1856 when Bishop Anderson returned to England on an appeal for funds. The Bishop returned to find enrollment declining but with no respite from his own workload little was done to redress the College’s problems. Finally in 1859 Thomas Cockran left to join his father Archdeacon Cockran at Portage la Prairie. With no competent successor to take his place, Bishop Anderson reluctantly closed the doors of the College and Collegiate.

On June 24, 1865 Robert Machray was consecrated Bishop of Rupert’s Land. The graduate of King’s College, Aberdeen and Cambridge, would play a pivotal role in the revival and subsequent development of St. John’s College over the next four decades. Upon his arrival at the Red River Settlement on October 13, 1865, Machray became acutely aware of the need to re-establish an Anglican college. The quality of education provided at Pritchard’s and Miss Davis’s schools needed to be enhanced and more native clergy were required to advance the faith amongst the Indigenous missions. Machray was appalled at the general lack of knowledge of the rites of the Church of England exhibited at the Red River Settlement. He wrote to Prebendary Bulloch, of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel on November 10, 1865, in the hope of garnering financial aid to resurrect the College. Machray’s appeal was a success and he was joined by an old school friend the Reverend John McLean, who became the first Warden of St. John’s College. Samuel Pritchard agreed to merge his school with the College in return for a teaching position within the Collegiate. He would become the College’s first registrar. The Church Missionary Society agreed to pay Archdeacon McLean’s salary as well as supporting four or five students. Archdeacon Cowley and Reverend W.H. Taylor, the two remaining members of Bishop Anderson’s 1855 Board, met with Bishop Machray to turn over the authority for the library and dilapidated school house. Renovations were begun on the school while the Warden prepared to move into the St. Cross residence that twenty years earlier had been home to William Cockran and most recently housed Mrs. Mill’s School. McLean’s quarters would house some of the boarding students with the remainder dwelling with Mr. Pritchard in a nearby house.

St. John’s College re-opened on November 1, 1866. The trio of instructors offered a wide and varied selection of subject matter. The theology students learned Ecclesiastical History and Liturgiology from the Bishop, while the Warden taught Systematic and Pastoral Theology. Pritchard taught the boys English, bookkeeping and arithmetic. The Bishop taught five boys higher mathematics while fifteen learned Greek from the Warden. Seven boys including three Indigenous were part of the Warden’s Junior Divinity course.

A constitution was drawn up in early 1867. The College’s four aims were enumerated: First - to train fit persons for the Sacred Ministry and for discharging the duties of Catechists and Teachers in Parishes or Missions within this diocese of the Church of England; Second - To provide instruction in the higher branches of education usually taught in Universities, for such students as may be desirious of the same; and thought fit for usefully prosecuting them; Third - To combine with these primary objects such kindred efforts, including a Preparatory College or Collegiate School, as may be found desirable and expedient; Four - To perform such acts, matters, and things as are incidental or otherwise conductive to the attainment of the before-mentioned objects of any of them.

Enrollment in the College improved rapidly. The rapid development did little to improve the already cramped living quarter and lack of classroom space. Bishop Machray launched a campaign for endowment funds with the hope of providing independent support for the warden’s wages and sufficient funds for further building at the College. A trip through Minnesota and the northern missions raised 500 pounds for the endowment of the Warden’s Chair of Theology. A depressed economy brought on by locusts and poor hunting condition conditions shelved the idea of further expansion. The Red River Rebellion and its political uncertainties further conspired to postpone the Bishop’s plans. He feared annexation by the United States but was more concerned with the prevention of bloodshed at the Settlement. Both he and Warden McLean counselled the Canadian Party not to launch a military campaign against Riel and his supporters for control of the Upper Fort. The quelling of the Rebellion and the subsequent formation of the Province of Manitoba brought stability and optimism for further expansion within the Settlement.

St. John’s College had its first graduates from the University of Manitoba in 1881. W.T.B. Kennedy and R.F. McLennan garnered degrees from the three year Bachelor of Arts program while S. P. Matheson, George Mackay, Robert Machray and James Flett received the first Bachelor of Divinity degrees. Three years later a new College building was opened on Main Street at Church Avenue. The three and a half storey brick building provided spacious classrooms and room for living accommodations for 20 students.

In 1913 increased enrollment at the College brought about the need for the hiring of the first full time Warden in forty years. Reverend J.J. Robinson a graduate of Trinity College, Dublin relieved Archbishop Matheson of the roll. In 1917 the University Amendment Act broke the concept of the “Republic of Colleges”. The church colleges maintained an affiliation with the University and were free to teach any subjects but no longer held any control over the University. A Board of Governors nominated by the Lieutenant-Governor-in-Council assumed the full responsibility of directing University expenditures and planning.

In 1932 the Machray Defalcation comes to light all but ruining the College. Any thought to moving to the new University Site of St. Vital (Ft. Garry) is replaced with a solemn battle for survival. The decimation of the endowment funds, the loss of Church and College property forced St. John’s to exist solely on student fees. The traditional relation between the College and Cathedral was altered in 1938 with the appointment of a Rector of the Cathedral replacing the “collective ministry” of theology professors that had operated since 1874.

In 1945 the College received an offer from United College (formerly Wesley) to combine their arts instruction and hold their classes in the centrally located United College building. It was proposed that St. John’s build its own theological building and perhaps others in the Portage Avenue locale of United. Fearing that this course of action might lead to absorption St. John’s rejected the offer. The College decided on a stop gap measure while they awaited the move to the Ft. Garry Campus and purchased the Music and Arts Building located at the corner of Broadway and Hargrave Street for $70,000. To help finance the move the College sold the Annex building to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church for $35000. The College School remained on Main Street until 1950 when the amalgamated with Ravenscourt School in Fort Garry to become St. John’s Ravenscourt. The St. John’s Council made a definite decision in 1955 to sell its Broadway Avenue site and move to the University campus. The College accepted a building site on Dysart Road and the initial fund raising drive was kicked off with the Hey Day Celebration. The College and University signed a 99 year lease agreement for the nominal sum of one dollar. The agreement was signed October 4, 1957.

University of Manitoba Students' Union

  • umsu
  • Collectivité
  • 1919-

The University of Manitoba Students' Union is the governing student organization of the university and acts as the students' representative in improving students' academic and campus life experiences. UMSU was founded in 1919 in order to represent the students as a united group. UMSU's early activities centred upon organizing social events and producing publications such as the University of Manitoba Phone Book (1920-1985; 1991-1992). However, as Canadian society changed and the importance of the University grew in relation to that society, UMSU's position in the University grew accordingly. By the 1960s, UMSU had begun to lobby for the creation of a students' union building and in 1970 UMSU's efforts came to fruition with the creation of the University Centre building on the Fort Garry Campus, with UMSU as a part owner.

In 1975, UMSU became one of the few students' organizations in North America to gain autonomy from the University Administration when it was incorporated by Provincial Statute. UMSU subsequently passed its own constitution and by-laws governing its operations. The 1970s and 1980s saw UMSU expand its on-campus services to students through the creation of several student-run businesses including a campus pub, print shop, restaurant and billiards hall. Unfortunately, by 1995, most of the UMSU businesses proved unprofitable and were closed down to or licensed to outside proprietors to prevent further losses.

However, though branching out into economic endeavors, UMSU remained committed to providing effective non-profit services to students such as operating a peer-advisor counseling service, a food bank for students, a radio station and a free on-campus art gallery. UMSU also puts on events such as Orientation, where new students are welcomed to campus, an annual Celebration week, where various speakers and events are offered to students free of charge, and assorted other activities that enrich student life at the University of Manitoba.

As UMSU is funded by mandatory student organization fees, upon paying their fees, students become full members of UMSU as well as paying contributors to the student council or their own faculty. The UMSU council, made up of elected representatives from each faculty, college and residence council, as well as the UMSU president and Vice-President, meets every two weeks during the school year (sporadically in the summer), to deal with major areas of concern within the Students' Union. Council also elects members to both standing and ad-hoc committees. Each sitting committee is then supposed to report to council once a month.

The UMSU Executive:

UMSU's day-to-day activities are run by five executive members. Each executive receives a salary, and though may take classes, considers his/her position to be the equivalent of a full time job. For the dates of this collection (1964-1995) the structure of the executive remained essentially the same.

The president is the elected leader of UMSU. Chief among the President's responsibilities is to represent students in all matters affecting their interests both on and off campus.

The Vice-President assists the President in the day-to-day activities of UMSU. The Vice-President serves as a liaison between students and administration in the event of academic or course difficulties. In addition to these responsibilities, the Vice-President also interacts with various student groups around campus and is the executive's representative on the University of Manitoba Senate.

The Director of Programming is appointed by council to coordinate all of UMSU's social events. These include concert series, films, political forums, lectures, socials, beer bashes, Orientation, Celebration and any other social event sponsored by UMSU. The Director of Programming is also responsible for allocating matching UMSU funds to councils or student group that mount their own social events.

The Director of Student Services was appointed by council to run many of the visible services offered by council. Book exchanges, off-campus typist listings, and telephone directories were the responsibilities of the director of student services. By 2002, the title of the position was changed to Director of Student Affairs.

The Director of Communications (DOC), also appointed, is essentially a public relations post. The DOC. ensures that the students know about all the decisions, programming, and services UMSU designs on their behalf. By 2002, the position's title had changed to Director of Public Relations.

Prior to1988, there was one more member of the executive, the Director of Administration (DOA). The DOA. was employed on a full time permanent basis, supervised all financial transactions, and provided a degree of continuity to an executive that faced yearly turnover. However, in 1988 the incumbent DOA. was terminated and the position ceased to exist. By 1995-1996, UMSU had recognized the need for a permanent administrator and created the position of Executive Director, who oversaw many of the same responsibilities of the former DOA.

NeWest Press

  • newest
  • Collectivité
  • 1975-

NeWest Press grew out of the NeWest Review , a monthly journal of opinion and reviews focusing on Western Canadian culture. The Review was founded in 1975 by George Melnyk, a freelance writer and former university philosophy instructor who wanted to establish a Western alternative in a field dominated by publications from Ontario.

The idea of a literary press was first conceived at a 1977 party attended by Melnyk and several members of the faculty of the English Department at the University of Alberta. Its initial funding consisted of a $500 loan from the poet Douglas Barbour. The first book published by NeWest Press was Getting Here, an anthology of short stories by seven Albertan women that was edited by Rudy Wiebe. It made its debut on 8 March 1977, International Women's Day. Getting Here was followed by Of the Spirit, a collection of essays by the noted architect Douglas Cardinal.

NeWest Press, at the outset, was "a small gathering of people who used to meet in various living rooms." Melnyk and an editorial board consisting of his friends from the University decided which books to publish and how to raise the necessary funds. All of the day-to-day chores required to keep the Press operating were performed by Melnyk and his wife, Julia Berry.

NeWest Press made a strong debut, publishing a total of five books in its first year of operation. A lack of funds, however, resulted in a reduced output of three titles in 1978 and only two titles in 1979. An early demise was averted by a three-year grant from Nova Corporation that allowed NeWest to expand to four titles in 1980 and eight titles in 1981, including Blood Relations by Sharon Pollock, the recipient of a Governor General's Award for Drama. By 1982 the Canada Council and Alberta Culture were providing the Press with regular funding and at least a semblance of financial security.

The expansion of NeWest's productive output stemmed from Melnyk's desire to establish a general publishing house that would reflect the full range of Western history and culture in a variety of disciplines. In addition to promoting regional fiction and poetry, Melnyk wanted to publish books on history, current affairs, and the fine arts. NeWest's influence was to extend beyond Alberta's insular literary and academic communities and provide a populist forum where vital social and cultural issues could be addressed from a left-of-centre perspective. Melnyk's ultimate goal was to make NeWest the third-ranked press in the region, after Hurtig and WesternProducer Prairie Books.

The NeWest Institute of Western Canadian Studies, incorporated by Melnyk in 1979, was at least partially designed to offset the failure of the Press itself to make any significant inroads among the West's political and social establishment. The Institute organized a series of retreats and seminars on a variety of cultural and social issues and collaborated with the Press in the publication of a number of books, including one of its first big sellers, Rain of Death , an expose of the effects of acid rain in western Canada. The Institute's ambitious agenda, however, went largely unrealized; a lack of funding and an inability to extend its influence past a narrow segment of academia prevented it from having any real impact on Western Canadian society as a whole.

In 1982 George Melnyk announced his decision to withdraw from the Press; he, Julia Berry and Sam Gersonowicz, the three original partners in NeWest Press, transferred their shares to a new group of eighteen shareholders, most of whom were academics from the University of Alberta. In recognition of the Press's expanded mandate, the new owners of NeWest Publishers Limited included not only prominent literary figures such as Rudy Wiebe, Aritha van Herk and Robert Kroetsch but also people like journalist Myrna Kostash, sculptor Joe Fafard and political scientist Larry Pratt.

The new owners held their first meeting in September 1982; they adopted a new constitution and elected a new president, Diane Bessai of the University of Alberta English Department. All shareholders were expected to take an active part in soliciting manuscripts and choosing the titles to be published.

By the end of the decade NeWest Press was putting out eight or more books a year on a wide variety of topics. In November 1989 it published its seventy-fifth book, a lavishly illustrated volume on the architecture of Douglas Cardinal, who had recently been thrust into the national spotlight with the construction of the Museum of Civilization in Hull, Quebec. One of NeWest's most ambitious and, ultimately, frustrating, undertakings, the book aroused some controversy when Cardinal, upset over co-author Trevor Boddy's critique of his work, disassociated himself from the finished product.

NeWest's bestsellers have included Susan Haley's A Nest of Singing Birds, which was filmed for television by CBC; Eva Brewster's holocaust memoir Vanished in Darkness; and the short story anthology Alberta Bound. Since its inception NeWest's literary division has directed its efforts toward the publication of first novels and short story collections by Prairie writers. It has also made significant contributions to the Canadian literary scene through the Western Canadian Literary Documents Series, the Prairie Play Series and various other anthologies of poetry, fiction and literary criticism. In 1989 NeWest Press introduced the Nunatuk Series, which was designed to promote fiction by new Western Canadian authors.

Although George Melnyk's original vision has not been fully realized, NeWest has nonetheless established itself as one of the country's most enduring and respected small presses with an impressive catalogue of literary and non-fiction titles.

Western Region Canadian Association of University Schools of Nursing

  • wrcausn
  • Collectivité
  • 1969-

WRCAUSN was founded in 1969 to provide a forum for the concerns of nursing educators in the four western provinces (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and British Columbia). WRCAUSN is one of the regional branches of the Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing (CASN), but unlike CASN it allows both institutional and individual members. Annual meetings are hosted by an institutional member and the organization is governed by an elected executive (president, vice-president, secretary-treasurer, and members-at-large).

Winnipeg Commodity Clearing Ltd.

  • winnipegcc
  • Collectivité
  • 1901-1999

The Winnipeg Commodity Clearing Ltd. was a commodity futures clearing business. It was incorporated in June 1901 under the Corporations Act of the Province of Manitoba as the Winnipeg Grain and Produce Clearing Association. Its sole purpose upon inception was to clear trades effected through the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange. It began doing so in February 1904. In later years, the WCCL cleared Commodity Futures and Options transactions for the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange. This function included ensuring that every trade had an appropriate counter-party, paying and collecting funds as a result of trading, and arranging for the delivery or exercise of items traded.

The Winnipeg Commodity Clearing Ltd. was a member-owned company consisting of numerous shareholders. Only good standing members of the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange could become shareholders. The WCCL was governed by the Canadian Grain Commission, as well as by a Board of Directors, all of whom were representatives of clearing members or clearing members themselves with the exception of one who was an outside director. Board members were elected by shareholders on an annual basis.

In August 1998, the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange ended its nearly century-long association with the Winnipeg Commodity Clearing Ltd. when it announced that their new clearing provider would be the Canadian Derivatives Clearing Corporation (CDCC). The Winnipeg Commodity Clearing Ltd. dissolved and ceased operations on July 31, 1999.

Western Canadian Wheat Growers Association

  • wcwga
  • Collectivité
  • 1970-2003

The Western Canadian Wheat Growers Association is a non-profit, voluntary farm organization founded in 1970 as Palliser Triangle Wheat Growers Association. The first president of the Association was Wally Nelson. The Association helps individual wheat farmers to represent their interest to government and other sectors of the agriculture. The Association head office is in Regina. Revision of the Association name to Western Canadian Wheat Growers Association happened in 1985. The president of the Association at that time was George Fletcher. The Board of Directors is elected at the annual conventions. WCWGA is active and strives for establishment of the flexible system for individual farmers to maximize their profitability. The Association is entirely supported by member contributions.

Turnstone Press

  • turnstonepress
  • Collectivité
  • 1976-1983

The origins of Turnstone Press can be traced to an informal meeting at the Montcalm pub close to the University of Manitoba on a 1976 afternoon. A group of English professors and their friends began discussing their desire to establish a non-profit cultural partnership.

First located in a small but rent-free office in St. John's College at the University of Manitoba (though separate from it), the publishing house was administered by an editorial board initially consisting of professors/writers. Turnstone, named after the sturdily-built turnstone bird generally known as a great survivor, was established to publish the works of Manitoba poets and writers.

The founders of Turnstone Press, all of whom were young academics with impressive scholastic records and promisingly-creative minds, are as follows:
Gimli-born David Arnason, the son of a fisherman, studied at the Universities of Manitoba and New Brunswick (BA/1961, Cert. Ed/1963, MA/1969, all from Manitoba and a Ph.D. from University of New Brunswick in 1980). He was a high school English teacher before joining the English department of the University of Manitoba in 1972 as Canadian literature professor. Besides his writing talents, he became a recognized specialist in Canadian, contemporary American and commonwealth literature. He served as Dean of Studies at St. John's College, chairman of the Literary Press Group, was a co-founder of the Journal of Canadian Fiction and is a well-known Manitoba editor, publisher, award-winning author, journalist and broadcaster.

Dr. John Beaver, a native of England, was a French professor at University of Manitoba and was managing editor/business manager of Turnstone Press until a teaching offer from McMaster University in 1979 precipitated his move to Hamilton.

Dr. Dennis O. Cooley, a native of Estevan, Saskatchewan, earned three degrees from the University of Saskatchewan (B.Ed/1966, BA (Hons.)/1967, MA/1968 and a Ph.D. from the University of Rochester in 1971). He was appointed to the University of Manitoba in 1973 and is a Canadian literature professor and assistant chair of English as well as a critically-acclaimed writer and editor.

Robert Enright was born in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and graduated from the University of Saskatchewan. He is well-known for his long career as an art/film critic and broadcaster (in both television and radio for the CBC).

Dr. Daniel S. Lenoski was born in Winnipeg, where he earned a BA (Hons.) and MA at the University of Manitoba. He received his Ph.D. from Queen's University. Dr. Lenoski spent many years as assistant and later associate professor of English at St. Paul's College, University of Manitoba. He was editor of the Canadian Journal of Irish Studies and is considered a specialist in Anglo-Irish, late Victorian and early 20th century literature.

A few years after its founding, Paul Hjartarson, who taught English at University of Manitoba, joined Turnstone as did Marilyn Morton (as managing editor of both Turnstone and Contemporary Verse II magazine) and David Michael Carr (associate editor). Carr was born in Chicago and came to Winnipeg in 1966. In 1985 he left Turnstone to work in the civil service.

By 1981 Turnstone had its own typesetters and began to produce much of its work on site as well as typesetting for others on a contract basis. Commissioned sales representatives distributed their books both nationally and internationally. Turnstone Press was incorporated in April 1983 with the following acting as first directors: Dr. David Arnason, David Carr, Dr. Dennis Cooley, Dr. Daniel Lenoski, Patricia Sanders and Dr. Wayne Tefs.

Initially Turnstone was strictly a poetry and prose fiction publisher but before long it began publishing drama, fiction, non-fiction and even plays. Turnstone's primary mandate has always been to facilitate exposure for both lesser-established and well-known writers by providing a quality prairie publishing house. As one of its editors commented in the April 1980 offering of Quill and Quire : "writers (in Manitoba) began as truck drivers, teachers, and farmers doing a little writing on the side. Access to publishing has helped them to take themselves seriously as writers." Among the established (and, in some cases, internationally-known) authors published by Turnstone were Sandra Birdsell, Bertram Brooker (posthumously), Patrick Friesen, Robert Kroetsch, Dorothy Livesay, Andrew Suknaski, Anne Szumigalski and Miriam Waddington. There have been several anthologies to come off Turnstone's presses. Reviews of Turnstone books are written and published worldwide and a number of the books themselves are required reading in many national universities.
Turnstone was able to function with the aid of Manitoba Arts Council grants over the years, along with intermittent funding from the Canada Council. Any profits realized from the sales of books went back into the publishing aspect of the press. Turnstone's first two publications were William Dempsey Valgardson's In The Gutting Shed and George Amabile's Open Country . The press fostered a growing group of Prairie or Manitoba writers and readers. When the Manitoba Writers' Guild formed in 1981, many of its founders were first-book authors with Turnstone.

Established during a period of significant growth in creative prairie literature, Turnstone quickly became a significant literary press in Canada and presently enjoys substantial national recognition.

Indigenous Languages of Rupert's Land

  • indigenouslanguagesrl
  • Collectivité
  • 196?-198?

The purpose of the Indigenous Languages of Rupert's Land Collection was to preserve material related to the Indigenous languages in Canada, which are not normally retained in the general library collection, in order to meet the instructional needs of the University of Manitoba Department of Linguistics, and the Native Languages program of the Department of Native Studies. One copy of each title was retained. The language families included were Algonquian, Athapaskan, Inuit-Aleut, and Siouan.

Olexander Koshetz Choir

  • Collectivité
  • ca. 1941 -

The Olexander Koshetz Choir traces its origins to the annual summer Higher Education Courses (HEC) sponsored in Winnipeg from 1941 through 1962 by the Ukrainian National Federation (UNF). In addition to Ukrainian language, literature, culture and history classes, the courses offered instruction in the art of choral singing and conducting. Initially the music program was directed by the renowned New York-based Ukrainian choir conductor and arranger Olexander Koshetz (Oleksander Koshyts’; 1875-1944), who had served as conductor and choirmaster of the Kyiv Opera during the Great War and led the Ukrainian Republican Capella (Ukrainian National Choir), on very successful tours of Europe and the Americas between 1919 and 1926. After his death in Winnipeg, in September 1944, Koshetz was succeeded by his widow Tetiana Koshetz (-1966), a voice teacher, and his local colleague and assistant, the musicologist Dr. Paul Macenko (Pavlo Matsenko; 1897-1991). Each year the courses concluded with a choral concert in which all of the students, conducted by Koshetz and/or Macenko, participated.

In 1946, a number of HEC participants and alumni, led by Halia Cham and encouraged by Tetiana Koshetz and Dr. Macenko, established the Winnipeg Ukrainian National Youth Federation (UNYF) Choir. The first permanent Ukrainian youth choir in the city, it received moral and financial support from the UNF’s Winnipeg and St. Boniface branches, doubled as “a school of Ukrainian culture,” and initiated the practice of touring Ukrainian rural communities and performing at local festivals. When the choir’s founder and first conductor Halia Cham moved to Eastern Canada in 1948, Dr. Macenko and Mrs. Koshetz led the choir until 1951. At that point Walter Klymkiw (1926-2000), who had immigrated to Canada as a child with his parents, attended the 1944 HEC, graduated from the University of British Columbia, and recently entered the teaching profession, became the choir’s conductor and musical director. He would lead the choir (which became known as the Ukrainian National Federation Choir in 1964, and officially changed its name to the O. Koshetz Memorial Choir in 1967) for the rest of his life. In the process, he made it one of Western Canada’s finest amateur choirs, the most prominent and representative Ukrainian choir in the country, and an important cultural bridge between Ukrainian Canadians and the land of their ancestors during and after the Cold War.

Among the many highlights in the history of the Olexander Koshetz Choir during its first 30 years, the following events stand out: the Choir’s first trip to the United States and successful performance in Minneapolis (1955); back-to-back victories in the choral competition at the Manitoba Music Festival (1961 and 1962); an invitation to perform at the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto (1962); the first of many performances on the CBC radio and television networks (1962 and 1963); selection as pre-centennial musical ambassadors to Eastern Canada with performances at Moncton NB, Halifax NS and Montréal PQ (1966); an appearance as guests of the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra (WSO) under Victor Feldbril at one of the orchestra’s Pop Concerts, the first of many engagements with the WSO (1966); performances at Expo ’67 in Montreal where Walter Klymkiw first met Ukraine’s Veriovka Choir, directed by Anatoliy Avdievsky (1967); a Winnipeg concert with guest soloist Andrij Dobriansky of New York’s Metropolitan Opera Company (1969); a concert marking Manitoba’s centennial at the new Centennial Concert Hall also featuring the Rusalka Dancers and Roxolana Ruslak of Toronto’s Canadian Opera Company (1970); a performance in the WSO's 'Great Cultural Heritage' series (1975); 'The Ukrainian Gala Concert and Ballet' also featuring the Rusalka Dancers, the Royal Winnipeg Ballet and the WSO followed by the Dmytro Bortniansky 150th anniversary concert with the WSO (1977); and participation in the first of several Associated Choirs of Winnipeg concerts (1978).

In 1978, after Anatoli Avdievsky spent a month in Winnipeg conducting workshops, the choir embarked on its first tour of Soviet Ukraine (Kyiv, Lviv, Ternopil) which brought the works of Koshetz to the attention of the Soviet Ukrainian elite at a time when they were officially ignored by the regime. 1978 also marked the beginning of a period of intense activity that would last for almost two decades. Highlights during this period included the choir’s ‘Tribute to the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra’ concert as well as participation in the ‘Chorus 1000’ performance of Handel’s ‘Messiah’ with the WSO (1980); a second tour of Soviet Ukraine (Lviv, Ternopil, Kyiv) featuring Broadway star and recording artist Ed Evanko as guest soloist (1982); the ‘Family Christmas Fantasy’ concert with the WSO (1984); a tour of Ukrainian colonies in South America with concerts in Buenos Aires, Posadas and Apostoles, Argentina, Encarnacion, Paraguay, and Curitiba and Prudentopolis, Brazil (1985); the ‘Millennium of Ukrainian Christianity' concert tour of western Europe with performances in Paris, Rouen, Liseux, Vangenbourg and Strasbourg, France, Antwerp and Genk, Belgium, and Munich, Germany (1987); the ‘Project 1000/Celebration of Note’ concert in Winnipeg which marked the millennium of Ukrainian Christianity, and featured the WSO (directed by Virko Baley), Yuri Mazurkevich (violin), Nina Matvienko (soprano), John Martens (tenor) and the world premiere of Evhen Stankovych’s ‘When the Fern Blooms’ (1988); the National Millennium Celebration Concert at Ottawa’s National Arts Centre (1988); a guest performance on CBC’s popular ‘Hymn Sing’ television broadcast (1990); the choir’s third tour of Soviet Ukraine (Kyiv, Lviv, Ternopil) which featured a much broader repertoire of national and religious music and also included concerts in nearby Prague, Czechoslovakia, and Warsaw, Poland (1990); the choir’s 45th anniversary concert, banquet and reunion (1991); the world premiere of Evhen Stankovych’s ‘Black Elegy’ in a nationally broadcast concert with the WSO during the Canada-wide CBC ‘Festival of New Music’ (1992); the choir’s fourth tour of Ukraine (Kyiv, Ternopil, Lviv, Ivan-Frankivsk, Vinnytsia, Uzhorod) with performances in nearby Rybnytsia and Rashkiv, Moldova (1993); concerts in Winnipeg and Montreal marking the 50th Anniversary of Olexander Koshetz's death (1994); the Taras Shevchenko concert in Edmonton AB (1995); and the choir’s 50th anniversary concert featuring guest conductors Anatoli Avdievsky and Laurence Ewashko, as well as the WSO conducted by Bramwell Tovey (1996).

In 1992 the O. Koshetz Choir was awarded independent Ukraine’s prestigious Taras Shevchenko Ukrainian State Prize, becoming the first individual/organization from the Ukrainian diaspora to be so honoured. The choir and Walter Klymkiw were praised for propagating Ukraine’s musical heritage and for bridging the divide that had existed between Canada and Ukraine in the past. During the late 1990s, Klymkiw’s declining health obliged him to slowly curtail his activities with the choir. In 1999 the choir honoured his many years of service with a special tribute concert at which Anatoli Avdievsky, Laurence Ewashko and Henry Engbrecht spoke. In recent years the choir has been conducted by Walter Zulak (1998-1999), Roman Worobec and Corinne Villebrun (1999 – 2001), Tetyana Rodionova (2002-2006) and Miroslava Paches (2007-present).

Performing highlights since 1996 have included a concert of choral works by Mykola Leontovych and Paul Macenko featuring the University of Manitoba Singers and the Hoosli Male Folk Ensemble (1997); a performance at the International Society for Music Educators gathering in Edmonton (2000); participation in the ‘Bridges of Manitoba’ concert with the WSO (2003); participation in the Manitoba Choral Association’s ‘Diversity Sings!’ and ‘Manitoba Sings!’ festivals (2005 and 2010); a concert marking the 25th anniversary of the Centre for Ukrainian Canadian Studies at the University of Manitoba (2006); the choir’s 60th anniversary concert conducted by Laurence Ewashko and featuring a number of guest soloists including Andriana Chuchman and Irena Welhasch-Baerg (2006); the ‘Spring Celebration’ concert (2010); the choir’s 65th anniversary gala concert (2011); the ‘Celebrations of Winter’ concert (2012); the ‘Call of the Bells’ concert (2013); and participation in the annual ‘Festival of Ukrainian Carols’.

North-West Line Elevators

  • nwle
  • Collectivité
  • 1899-

This association was first organized by the Manitoba Elevator Operators on July 18, 1899, under the name the North-West Elevator Association. The first Directorship consisted of William Martin, President & Robert Muir, Vice-President. The other directors included R.D. Martin, E. O'Riley, John Love, R.C. Ennis, S.A. McGaw, J.E. Mann & T.B. Barker. The Membership included 24 companies or individuals representing 272 country elevators.

In 1904 the Association was incorporated by a special act of the Manitoba Legislature under the name of the North-West Grain Dealers Association. The membership had increased threefold to include 95 companies or individuals representing 780 elevators. John Love was the first president of newly incorporated Association.

The first ten years were marked by rapid expansion. By 1910 the Membership had risen to 164 companies or individuals with the number of elevators practically doubling to 1500. Five years later 30 more companies had come on board with the number of elevators growing to 2900. Through amalgamation of some of the smaller companies the roster declined to 101 companies in 1925 but the number of elevators increased to 3741.

In 1926 the hierarchy within the Association changed with the formation of the Owners' Committee. Henceforth Directors were appointed from the junior executive ranks or general superintendents of companies but the real power lay with the Owners' Committee. This committee lasted for ten years at which time a Public Relations Department was formed in March 1935. This group chose L.W. Brockington as its first leader with G.W.P. Heffelfinger as the first chairman.

Like all industry, the grain business was forced to navigate ten lean years during the Depression. The Membership declined to 55 companies by 1935 but still managed to represent 3345 elevators. In 1937 the Manitoba Legislature amended the Association's capital stock set up. The old Membership shares were paid out in full at $15 apiece plus a premium of $5 per share. The new capital arrangement called for 20000 authorized shares and 3393 subscribed shares selling at $1 each. A company was called upon to take $1 shares for every elevator it owned.

With the financial restructuring of the Association, came board room policy changes. After 1937 all Directors were now chosen from the principals of the companies. In 1940 the company changed its name to the North West Line Elevators Association. The Association lobbied for preferable rail rates for shipping. They attempted to block line abandonments by the C.P.R. & C.N.R. The Farm Service side of the Association performed grain research through its demonstration plots and seed testing laboratory. At its peak the Association cover elevators spanning the Prairie Provinces & Thunder Bay and represented the interests of most of the leading grain companies in Western Canada. The company still had an administrative board in 1992 but two years later it had come under control of N.M. Paterson & Sons Ltd. and is now dormant.

Oblates of Western Canada fonds

  • oblates_wc
  • Collectivité
  • 1844-

The Oblates of Western Canada have been in existence since 1844 in response to a request from Bishop Provencher, Vicar Apostolic of the Hudson's Bay and James Bay. The Oblates are congregations within the Roman Catholic Church serving as religious communities. The congregation of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate was founded in Aix-en-Provence, France in 1815 and arrived in Canada in 1841. Since then the Oblates spread across Western Canada establishing missions in the provinces of Saskatchewan and Alberta. Their primary goal was to evangelize and introduce Christianity to Indigenous peoples. During the settlement period of Western Canada, the work of the Oblates expanded to include the establishment of schools, colleges, hospitals, and other social institutions.

Prairie Theatre Exchange fonds

  • pte
  • Collectivité
  • 1972-

The origins of the Prairie Theatre Exchange can be traced back to the closing of the Manitoba Theatre Centre's drama school in 1972. The school had achieved considerable success offering recreational drama classes but by the early 1970's it was a financial burden that MTC, saddled with a rising deficit caused by recent expansion, could no longer afford to keep open.

When the announcement was made in the summer of 1972, a group of students, parents and other interested Winnipeggers formed a committee to investigate the possibility of opening up a new independent theatre school. This committee became the basis for the first board of the Manitoba Theatre Workshop. Its first chairman was the lawyer Charles Huband whose son David had been a student at the MTC school. Colin Jackson, a former teacher at the MTC school, was appointed as the Workshop's first director.

The Manitoba Theatre Workshop opened for classes on 9 October 1973 in the old Grain Exchange building at 160 Princess Street. This historic structure, which had been empty since 1964, was leased from the City of Winnipeg for $1 a year. Extensive renovations were made with the aid of a $12,000 Opportunities for Youth (OFY) grant.

Like its predecessor, the Manitoba Theatre Workshop's classes were designed for "enthusiastic amateurs" rather than aspiring professional actors. MTW's primary goal was "to make theatre arts accessible and sensible to as many young people as possible." Operating on the philosophy that "involvement, or contact, with the arts is necessary for society", the Workshop hoped to dispel the notion that drama was the exclusive domain of the elite.

In 1973-74, its first season of operation, the Workshop had an enrolment of 210 full-time and 100 part-time students. An infusion of grant money in January narrowly averted a potential financial disaster and allowed MTW to hire additional staff and organize touring programs for the province's schools.

The Manitoba Theatre Workshop initially devoted a large proportion of its resources towards the promotion of drama in both the school system and the larger community. It provided workshops for both teachers and students as well as serving as a resource for corporations, hospitals and other organizations interested in theatre and theatre education. In an effort to reach a wider audience it became involved in the production of "Let's Go", a CKY television program that featured MTW students doing improvisational exercises around a central theme. The Workshop also took over the sponsorship of the annual Junior & Senior High School Drama Festival from MTC.

Many of these activities had to be cut or severely curtailed for the 1975-76 season as a result of CKY's decision to produce "Let's Go" by itself and the decision of the Department of Education to drop its funding for the Drama Festival. The Festival was re-introduced in 1978 and in January 1979 the Manitoba Drama Festivals was incorporated as an official body supported by lottery monies. The festival was expanded the following year to include community theatre groups as well.

In keeping with MTW's educational mandate, its theatre productions were generally oriented towards a younger audience. The Workshop's first shows were student-produced cabarets designed as fundraisers. Canada Council grants were used to establish a puppet troupe that eventually went off on its own in 1976 as the Manitoba Puppet Theatre.
The first adult productions performed at MTW were presented by Confidential Exchange, a studio theatre group of local actors formed in 1974. Their December 1975 production of "Sandhills" was the first show produced at the Workshop under a full Actor's Equity contract. This show was part of the Workshop's first full season of alternative adult theatre, consisting of three Confidential Exchange productions and four touring productions. MTW's formal relationship with Confidential Exchange ended in August 1976 and the group disbanded soon afterward.

The 1977-78 season saw the introduction of The Neighbourhood Theatre (TNT), the province's first professional children's theatre company. Under the artistic leadership of director Deborah Baer Quinn, TNT presented three seasons of high-quality children's and youth theatre. An emphasis was placed on using original and locally-produced material and many of the shows were collective collaborations of the director and actors. A full subscription season was offered for the first time in 1978-79.

The Manitoba Theatre Workshop also hosted numerous touring productions and promoted concerts by popular children's entertainers such as Raffi and Fred Penner.
In September 1981 the Manitoba Theatre Workshop officially changed its name to Prairie Theatre Exchange, signalling a new direction for the company. Gordon McCall succeeded Deborah Quinn as artistic director and David Gillies was appointed as the company's first playwright-in-residence.

The new Prairie Theatre Exchange would offer adult as well as youth and children's programming with the aim of becoming the province's second fully professional theatre company. Its extremely successful first season in 1981-82 was highlighted by a production of George Ryga's "The Ecstasy of Rita Joe" in which all the principal native roles were played by native actors. This fact aroused nation-wide interest and the show was featured on the national news telecasts of both CBC and CTV as well as in a number of other national media outlets. After its Winnipeg run was completed, the show was taken on a five-week tour in southern British Columbia.

An all-Canadian season featuring five world premieres, three of them by Manitoba playwrights, was announced for the following year. This emphasis on local plays, however, proved to be unpopular with the public and resulted in a $20,000 loss.

A new artistic director, Kim McCaw of Saskatoon's Globe Theatre, was brought in for the 1983-84 season. He outlined a new "populist" policy for the PTE that emphasized the production of "contemporary, committed, socially connected work." Under McCaw's direction, the company enjoyed several remarkably successful years and gained a reputation for producing contemporary plays dealing with timely issues. By 1987 it had solidly established itself as the province's younger and hipper alternative to the more conservative Manitoba Theatre Centre. The headline of an article in the 26 June 1987 issue of the Globe & Mail proclaimed: "Prairie Exchange is hot, elaborate theatres are not." For the 1986-87 season PTE announced a balanced budget of $1.2 million, the first time that it had gone over the $1 million mark.

By 1987 it was also obvious that it was no longer feasible for PTE to remain in the old Grain Exchange building. Although the building's historic charm and relaxed atmosphere had become one of the theatre's main selling points, it was simply too small to support a major repertory company.

In November 1987 the PTE announced that it would be moving into a 2100-square-metre space on the third floor of the new Portage Place shopping centre. Kim McCaw defended this somewhat unorthodox juxtaposition of culture and capitalism as a move that would help to bring the arts from the fringes to the centre of the city. Construction began in March of 1989 and the first public performance in the new state-of-the-art 364-seat theatre took place on 12 October 1989.

The new quarters were also designed to accomodate the PTE Theatre School which by the early 1990's boasted an enrollment of well over 400 students. PTE has also continued to offer workshops through the public schoo system as well as curriculum workshops for teachers. In December 1988 PTE was approved as a Teaching Centre by the University of Manitoba.

In 1991 the Quebec director and playwright Michael Springate was named as the PTE's new artistic director, replacing Kim McCaw. Springate's emphasis on the staging of new plays by unknown writers resulted in a drop in attendance and he was replaced in 1995 by Montreal-based freelance director Allen MacInnis. MacInnis announced that a concerted effort would be made to increase attendance by appealing to a wider audience. His first full season as artistic director, 1996-1997, was highlighted by an elaborate staging of "My Fair Lady" and the hosting of the extremely popular touring production "2 Pianos, 4 Hands".

Royal Commission on Manitoba Pool Elevators Limited

  • wprc
  • Collectivité
  • 1931

In 1931, a provincial Royal Commission inquired into charges against Manitoba Pool Elevators Ltd. The Commissioner was E. K. Williams. The charges were set out in a letter written by James R. Murray to John Bracken, Premier of Manitoba, on March 10, 1931.

Intercontinental Exchange Inc.

  • wce
  • Collectivité
  • 1887-

The Winnipeg Commodity Exchange was founded in 1887 by a group of Winnipeg grain merchants as the Winnipeg Grain and Produce Exchange. It served initially as a forum for cash trades in Canadian grains but, in 1904, introduced trading in wheat futures and subsequently added futures trading in barley, oats, flax, and rye. In 1908, the Exchange was re-organized as a voluntary, unincorporated, nonprofit organization and its name was changed to the Winnipeg Grain Exchange.

The Grain Exchange grew in importance with the Canadian grain economy so that by 1929, it played a major part in the establishment of world grain prices and the establishment of the Canadian Wheat Board in 1935. In 1943, the Wheat Board was given a monopoly in the marketing of wheat. In 1949, this monopoly was extended to oats and barley. The importance of the Exchange began to revive in 1963 with the establishment of a futures market in rapeseed (subsequently re-named canola). In 1972, a market in gold futures was opened, at which time the Exchange changed its name to the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange. In 1974, part of the trade in barley, oats, and feed wheat was restored to the Exchange.

During its operation, the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange Inc. (W.C.E. or the "Exchange") was Canada's only agricultural futures and options exchange. Agricultural contracts traded on W.C.E. included futures contracts for canola, flaxseed, domestic feed wheat, domestic feed barley, oats, milling wheat, durum wheat, canola meal, and peas. Options on certain of these products were also traded.

In 1996, the Winnipeg Commodities Exchange was Incorporated by an Act of the Manitoba Government. In 1998 WCE Clearing Corporation was established, and two years later the Manitoba Securities Commission took over regulatory responsibility from the Canadian Grain Commission.
In 2001, WCE demutualized, moving from a member-owned structure to a shareholder for-profit structure. On February 1, 2004, WCE celebrated 100 years of Futures Contract Trading. December 17, 2004 marked the end of open outcry trading, with WCE becoming the first North American commodity exchange to go fully electronic.

The WCE was acquired by Intercontinental Exchange (ICE) on August 28, 2007, and was re-named ICE Futures Canada (IFCA) at the beginning of 2008. Ten years later, the remaining contract on IFCA (canola) was moved to ICE’s New York exchange (ICE Futures U.S.) in July 2018, thereby ending the Winnipeg exchange’s operation after 131 years.

Red River Floodway

  • rrfloodway
  • Collectivité
  • 1962-1972

In 1950, Winnipeg experienced one of the last major floods from the Red River. With 103,000 cubic feet per second of water flow and 30.2 feet above the city datum during the flood, the Government of Canada decided to investigate flood prevention measures for the Red and Assiniboine River basins. On average, the City of Winnipeg could expect floods equal to, or surpassing, the flood of 1950 every thirty-six years. The Royal Commission on Flood Cost Benefit was established in 1958, and it recommended that the best form of flood prevention was the construction of the Red River Floodway.

In mid-1961, at the request of the Province of Manitoba (Department of Agriculture, Water Control and Conservation Branch), the University of Manitoba was asked to perform model studies tests of the inlet and outlet models of the Red River Floodway. After receiving the necessary grant, Marshal Gysi, engineer in charge at the University, searched for a suitable location to perform these studies and finally decided upon the basement of the new Animal Sciences Building. Under the direction of R. L. Walker, project engineer at H. G. Acres and Co. Ltd (consulting engineers in Niagara Falls), the Civil Engineering Department at the University was to test the models with the data supplied by H. G. Acres. Consequently, any changes in model design could be done only with the approval of this consulting firm.

The purpose of the outlet model was to determine if any modifications to the design were necessary in order to prevent scouring at the junction of the Floodway and the Red River or further downstream. Construction of the model began December 18, 1961, and care was taken to prevent any water leakage in the model. In order to test for sediment build-up, scouring, and flow patterns, a number of tests were conducted using different flow velocities and amounts of water. Confetti and dye (potassium permanganate) were distributed in the water and observations were made on their flow characteristics. The final test was conducted in October 1962.

The inlet model was constructed between April 17 and May 31, 1962 and the tests consisted of four stages. Stage I, June 7-12, was concerned only with the river downstream of the control structure. The purpose of stage I was to ascertain what would happen to the river during "high-stage natural flooding." Another determination to be made was to find an artificial method of imitating floodplain roughness. Stage 2 tests, June 26 - July 2, were designed to find the location of the "transition zone and bordering dykes" which would provide suitable "approach conditions" and weaken the effects of scouring. The third stage of tests occurred August 20-22. There were four designs to the diversion canals. One canal would bypass the water flow of the Red River around the control devices during construction, and stage 3 was to determine which canal model would be the most efficient. The final stage on the inlet model was to find the "rip-rap requirements" upstream and downstream of the control structure. In addition, stage 4 was to provide a "rating curve" for the control structure.

Upon completion of the tests, all pertinent data was forwarded for final study to H. G. Acres and Co. in Niagara Falls. In July 1964, construction of the Red River Floodway began with the design configurations supplied by Acres. The Floodway took approximately three years to construct at an expense of about $57 million.

Chronology of Important Dates

Mid-1961. Project undertaken at the University at the request of the Province of Manitoba.

Dec. 18, 1961. Construction of outlet model begun.

Dec. 18, 1961. Construction of outlet model begun.

April 17, 1962. Construction of inlet model begun.

June 7, 1962. Start of stage 1 tests on inlet model.

Oct. 4, 1962. State 4 tests of inlet model completed.

Oct. 22, 1962. Final outlet model test.

July 11, 1964. Construction of Floodway begins.

Canadian Officers Training Corps

  • cotc
  • Collectivité
  • 1914-1966

The University of Manitoba's Canadian Officer's Training Corps (C.O.T.C.) began in 1914 as a patriotic response to the outbreak of war in Europe. A series of meetings were held in September 1914 to organize a training program to prepare male students for active service overseas. The University Council appointed a Committee on Military Instruction which authorized the teaching of military science and tactics. A university corps was organized in the fall semester of the 1914-1915 year with 64 students taking extra classes to qualify as officers. Later, in March 1915, the Department of Defence instructed the University of Manitoba to join other universities throughout Canada to establish an official training curriculum under the auspices of the Canadian Officer Training Corps. Eight companies of sixty men each were formed with Professor E.P. Featherstonhaugh serving as captain and adjutant. In 1915 the Western Universities Battalion was established with the University of Manitoba contributing a company and a platoon. With the introduction of conscription legislation in 1917, military training was made compulsory for all male students. After the war, in 1920, the C.O.T.C. was reorganized by Lt. Col. N.B. Maclean. It continued in relative obscurity for nearly twenty years until the Second World War.

With the outbreak of the Second World War, the C.O.T.C. was quickly revitalized and its membership mushroomed from its peacetime level of 150 personnel to over 800. The Senate also passed regulations relating to academic credits or "bonuses" for students who joined the C.O.T.C. By 1941 all male students were once again required to enlist in a compulsory program of military training. After the war the C.O.T.C. continued to offer military training on a voluntary basis with new modernized and attractive programs, but with the return of peace its popularity rapidly declined with the organization dissolving in 1966.

Alumni Association Inc.

  • alumniassociation
  • Collectivité
  • 1921-

The Alumni Association Inc. of the University of Manitoba was founded in 1921 by a handful of graduates. Their objective was to reach out to the growing numbers of graduates of the University and to sustain their interest and long-term support of the University. In 1935, the Association was incorporated in the Province of Manitoba as a not-for-profit organization with its own, independent volunteer Board of Directors. The Alumni Association operated largely as an independent association until 1958 when President Saunderson created the Public Relations and Information Office. The Alumni Association assumed the operative role of the Public Relations and Information Office and received direct funding from the University.

The Alumni Association provides, preserves and strengthens the vehicle for alumni involvement. One way this is achieved is by maximizing the University's opportunities to communicate with graduates on a regular basis. This communication reinforces the relationship between the University through the Alumni Affairs portfolio and the Alumni Association. Alumni Affairs is a department of the University directed by the Association's executive director. Its role is to facilitate alumni-related activities between the Alumni Association and the University.

In 2001, the Association celebrated its 80th anniversary. In large measure, the history of the Association reflects the much broader history of the University. For example, until 1988, the Alumni Association had the responsibility for soliciting alumni donations to the University. In 1988, this function was transferred to the Department of Private Funding in order to consolidate all fund raising ventures. Also, on May 10, 1999, the President of the University of Manitoba and the President of the Alumni Association signed a funding agreement that allowed for no-fee alumni membership to all University of Manitoba graduates. This agreement was renewed in 2002.

Department of Native Studies

  • nativestudies
  • Collectivité
  • 1973-

The first Native Studies course "Native Peoples of Canada" was introduced at the University of Manitoba in 1973. This interdisciplinary course incorporated aspects of anthropology, sociology, history and economics. With the establishment of the Department of Native Studies in 1975, emphasis shifted to a broader-based study of the development of Indigenous societies. Questions were asked: What are the intellectual responses to Indigenous Peoples hopes, struggles, and vision for the future? What is the history of Indigenous Peoples from an Indigenous perspective?

Today, the Department offers a program of interdisciplinary studies dealing with Indigenous Peoples in Canada. The range of courses includes the study of history and traditional cultures; art; contemporary social and economic issues; literature; Indigenous organizations, health, medical, legal and political issues. The Interdisciplinary (IDP) Graduate Program in Native Studies includes studies in variety of areas such as languages, literature, arts, women's issues, culture, history, material culture, contemporary perspectives, environmental studies, economic development, self-government and land claims.

Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences

  • agriculturalfoodsciences
  • Collectivité

Administrative History of the Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences Manitoba Agricultural College was formerly opened in 1906. In the following year Manitoba Agricultural College became affiliated with the University of Manitoba so that the degree in agriculture could be conferred on students who had successfully completed the five-year course. However, the affiliation of Manitoba Agricultural College with the University was terminated by an Act of the Provincial Legislature in 1912 when the College was granted degree conferring powers. However, in 1916 the Act was amended and the affiliation between the College and University restored again. The University of Manitoba conferred the degree of Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (B.S.A.) for the first time in May 1911. Regular instruction in Home Economics began the same year and the degree of Bachelor of Home Economics (B.H.E.) was first conferred in May 1918. On March 1, 1924, by Act of the Manitoba Legislature, the administration of Manitoba Agricultural College was transferred to the Board of Governors of the University and it was arranged that in future the instructional work of the College could be carried on as a Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics of the University. The length of the degree courses in both Agriculture and Home Economics was reduced to four sessions in 1927-1928 to conform with the other university faculties. In 1929, the Legislature selected the site in Fort Garry, already occupied by the Manitoba Agricultural College since 1913, as the permanent site of the University.A systematic program of work in the field of rural adult education began in 1940. In 1946 the Department of Agricultural Engineering was added to the faculty. In 1966 the Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics opened the Centre for Applied Research at Glenlea, twenty kilometres south of Winnipeg.In 1970 the Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics separated into two independent faculties, Agriculture and Home Economics. Beginning in 1971 the Faculty of Agriculture, through sponsorship from the Provincial Government, became involved with various foreign aid programs. This culminated in 1979 when the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) financed a joint agricultural program with the University of Zambia. In July 1991 the Faculty became the Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences.

Ukrainian Reading Association “Chytal’nia Prosvita”

  • cprosvita
  • Collectivité
  • 1903-

The Ukrainian Reading Association “Chytal’nia Prosvita” was founded in 1903 by the members of the St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic church parish in Winnipeg. The goal of the association is to promote and foster the Ukrainian culture (language, history, geography) through the education of ordinary people. The movement of the enlightenment society “Prosvita” started in the city of Lviv, Crownland of Galicia, Austro-Hungarian Empire (now western Ukraine) in 1868. The first Ukrainians coming to Canada who were members of the mother organization in Ukraine brought this idea with them to Winnipeg. They first held meetings at the St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Church and later at SS. Vladimir and Olga Cathedral and opened their Ukrainian heritage school, “Ridna Shkola”, in 1918.

In 1919 the members of the “Chytal’nia Prosvita,” which had rented various locales since 1903, discussed the possibility of purchasing their own building. (In January 1919 rioting unemployed war veterans had sacked and destroyed the association’s quarters at Dufferin and Parr because they perceived its members as “enemy alien” Austro-Hungarians.) Eight members of the association loaned their own money to purchase a lot at 667 Flora Avenue. The newly constructed building officially opened on October 9, 1921 and was blessed by Metropolitan Andrei Sheptyckyj, who was touring North America. A list of donors who contributed to the Ukrainian Reading Association’s building was hung on the wall in the new building.

With the new building, new organizations came into being such as the Benevolent Association of “Chytal’na Prosvita” - the Mutual Aid Society (1927); the Women’s Organization of Maria Markovych (1931); and the “Plast” youth organization (1930). In addition to the above mentioned organizations, many other groups and institutions used the building for their own activities during the years that ensued: the Society of Volyn and Research Institute of Volyn, the Ukrainian National Federation, the North Winnipeg Credit Union, and various musical and theatrical groups. “Chytal’nia Prosvita” also had a large library it was used by the Ukrainian community of the North End.

The Ukrainian Reading Association “Chytal’nia Prosvita” housed various cultural events, debates, lectures, concerts, amateur theatre and dance performances. Many prominent Ukrainian artists and scholars visited “Chytal’nia Prosvita such as E. Turula (composer), K. Andrysyshyn (educator), V. Avramenko (choreographer), O. Koshetz (director of choir) and many others who performed at the “Chytal’na Prosvita”.

In 1982 a big fire destroyed most of the building and although costly repairs kept it going for a while, it deteriorated to the point that the members of the “Chytal’nia Prosvita” decided to sell the building. The Ukrainian Reading Association’s building finally closed the doors on May 31, 2001. The Chytal’nia Prosvita’s executive board relocated to the North Winnipeg Credit Union, and their funds were transferred into a Designated Fund in the Shevchenko Foundation. The Ukrainian heritage school “Ridna shkola” operated out of Andrew Mynarski School. It had 10 grades and opened its doors to students every Sunday. A large number of books from the Ukrainian Reading Association were sent to Ukraine and the rest were deposited into the University of Manitoba Slavic Collection.

The “Chytal’nia Prosvita’s” building provided a gathering place and support to many Ukrainian immigrants who came to Winnipeg to start their new lives. It promoted Ukrainian language and culture, provided educational and social services, strengthened national consciousness, and also educated the general public about Ukraine and its people. It fit perfectly into the multicultural mosaic of Winnipeg and played a major role in Ukrainian-Canadian history. The success of the “Chytal’nia Prosvita" is a testimony to the many hard working individuals who, over the years, contributed to the promotion of Ukrainian education in Canada.