Abernethy Elevator Local #702

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Abernethy Elevator Local #702

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1948-2001

History

The Abernethy, Saskatchewan grain elevators were built in the early 1900s by various grain companies. Five elevators existed in Abernethy: Beaver (1904), International (1906), Maple Leaf (1908), North Star (1904) and Farmers’ Elevator Company (1907). In 1948, the United Grain Growers purchased the oldest Abernethy elevator from Reliance Grain. Over the next twenty years, United Grain Growers purchased the three major elevators in Abernethy, consisting of some of the oldest still functioning in Canada. At the same time of United Grain Growers' expansion into Abernethy, a re-organization of Locals followed to provide representation for labor. The United Grain Growers Local #702 formed in 1949 and included farmers from Balcarres, Saskatchewan. Local #702 remained active as a representative union for the farmer owned company until United Grain Growers’ merger with Agricore United in 2001.

Places

Abernethy, Saskatchewan

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

abernethy

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC